Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-30-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguedog View Post
What's the size and weight of the battery for the Outbound road edition? And how long is the cable from light to battery?

Doesn't seem to be on their site but maybe I'm blind.
Mine just arrived a couple days ago - will report back after I unbox it..
Old 11-30-2021, 02:06 PM

Anyone here have a Lupine SL Nano setup on their road bike fitted to their Garmin? I would love to see how this works together.
Old 11-30-2021, 05:03 PM

I have had and still have

Light & Motion Trail 1000
Raveman PR1200
Nitrider Lumina 1800
Nitrider Lumina 1000
Lezyne Soemthing Something 1000

The Raveman is the best bang for the buck but I prefer the mounting options of the Light and Motion and Niterider lights as they go underneath the Garmin mount out front.
Old 11-30-2021, 05:04 PM

I would jump on the Raveman PR1600 or new PR2400 in a heartbeat.
Old 11-30-2021, 05:11 PM

Light n Motion

I have the L&M Urban Vis 1000 and I am very pleased with it. I got the gopro adapter and I have the light under my Wahoo mount. Perfect for the road, the strap works great for mountain biking as well.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:50 PM

I don't know about training rides and may not be as experienced as the 'experts' here, but I just finished a 575 mile unsupported tour last week, ending the season just short of 5000 miles of touring. I use two niterider lumina 1200's in rotation and have never needed anything more!
Being that I camp 100% of the time when I ride they have been useful for searching out those hidden spots!
Old 12-01-2021, 10:29 PM

During my heavy commuting days I had a niterider that served me well. It finally gave up the ghost a couple of years ago.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:23 PM

Thanks to this thread, I got an Outbound Road Edition. Should be here tomorrow. Hoping it's as good as it looks like.
Clean, how do you like yours?
Old 12-02-2021, 04:14 PM

How does the L&M lights compare to the Lezyne stuff?

I am ideally looking for something that works under the bike computer in the K-Edge Mount
Would be using it for early mornings, early nights on my road bike so no trail needed, mostly for city streets too so a flash + sustained light would be nice
Old 12-02-2021, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvlin94 View Post
How does the L&M lights compare to the Lezyne stuff?
In my experience L&M trumps Lezyne in reliability. I've had two Lezyne lights die after 2 years and in both cases Lezyne responded "sorry, out of warranty" (both Lezyne and L&M have 2 yr warranties). They did reply next day, however, so I guess that means they have good customer service. My one 8 yo L&M (actually my wife's commuting light) is a vis 360+ and has far more hours than both Lezynes combined and is still going strong. I have not had the need to test their customer service.
Old 12-02-2021, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Thanks to this thread, I got an Outbound Road Edition. Should be here tomorrow. Hoping it's as good as it looks like.
Clean, how do you like yours?
Haven't gotten to it yet.. been pretty warm here still and I've been hitting the indoor trainer hard for intervals (just a lot easier to do a focused workout there). The transition to outdoor workouts will prob be a Jan/Feb thing to be getting in real miles in preparation for events. Stay tuned.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
In my experience L&M trumps Lezyne in reliability. I've had two Lezyne lights die after 2 years and in both cases Lezyne responded "sorry, out of warranty" (both Lezyne and L&M have 2 yr warranties). They did reply next day, however, so I guess that means they have good customer service. My one 8 yo L&M (actually my wife's commuting light) is a vis 360+ and has far more hours than both Lezynes combined and is still going strong. I have not had the need to test their customer service.
What dies? Lights are real simple, I don't think I've had anything die ever, but I also don't buy lights with integrated batteries or charging. Battery life is infinite when you can carry an infinite number of batteries and swap them...
Old 12-02-2021, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
What dies? Lights are real simple, I don't think I've had anything die ever, but I also don't buy lights with integrated batteries or charging. Battery life is infinite when you can carry an infinite number of batteries and swap them...
I guess I should have written "stopped functioning". Both on/off/intensity buttons initially became inconsistent until they finally failed. Switch was PCB mount and beyond my ability to repair although I was able to make the light operable with jumpers so LEDs and batteries were fine. It's also not my experience that the primary electronics fail, always something else. I have a 25 yo NiteRider Digital Pro 12 that still works perfectly.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:11 PM
Shifty Member

I have had a ton of lights and have a Taz 1500 and a NiteRider 650 for road riding. The Taz is great in that it's bright and the mount is fantastic, but I would like the runtimes to be a bit better. I'll be selling the 650. Too many lights.

For mtb, I use the Overland Hangover for the helmet and a Gloworm X2 Gen2 for the bars. These lights are amazing and will probably migrate over to the road/ gravel side from time to time (especially gravel), but for simplicity you just can't beat the Taz mount, beam pattern (awesome for a light with no external battery), and solid construction.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Haven't gotten to it yet.. been pretty warm here still and I've been hitting the indoor trainer hard for intervals (just a lot easier to do a focused workout there). The transition to outdoor workouts will prob be a Jan/Feb thing to be getting in real miles in preparation for events. Stay tuned.
Just got mine today. A week earlier than I expected. I may beat you to using it.