Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-12-2004, 01:47 AM
The bass playing cyclist

* real name, if you like Joe
* where do you live? Northern California foothills....Nice combination of gentle rollers and nasty climbs
* explanation of your handle Nickname given to me by my (mostly) out of shape riding buddies who refuse to believe I can drop them so easily without the use of chemical aid.
* explanation of your avatar It has something to do with reaching an ultimate state of enlightenment
* age (general or specific) 41
* occupation Professional eBay’r/Societal drop out. If I can’t be a rock star, I’m taking my ball and going home...
* favorite bike Constantly varies
* what's in your stable? Legend Ti, Trek OCLV, Vintage early ‘80’s Olmo
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? Forty something on a descent from El Dorado Hills
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? Not nearly enough
* picture of yourself or your ride? I had one, but I emailed it to Vintage Velos for a free pair of socks. They never emailed it back
* make up and answer at least one additional question. Q: What, exactly, did Nicole Kidman do to prompt Tom Cruise to file for divorce? A: I don’t know, but I swear it had nothing to do with me. I swear.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told? See previous question
* and, something fun. Bass player, singer, song writer, engineer & producer with a Rock band for going on twenty-something years.

Last edited by EPOJoe; 12-12-2004 at 02:52 AM.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

* where do you live? Rhode Island on the Mass border
* explanation of your handle: Middle name
* explanation of your avatar: For those of us who have waited our whole lives and to see the Sox win the series
* age (general or specific): 38
* favorite bike: Co-Motion tandem
* what's in your stable: Legend ST, Co-Motion Tandem, Independent Fabrications Independence, IF Steel Crown Jewel, Trek 1400, Specialized Stump Jumper
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 54, North Eastern Conn., 2002
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 3,500
* picture of yourself or your ride? You can see it http://www.co-motion.com/brochure.html. My wife and I are on the cover of the 2005 Co-Motion catalog
* make up and answer at least one additional question. Best ride I've ever taken: Missoula Montana to Steamboat Springs CO. Down the rockies through Yellowstone. Get yourself a touring bike and hit the road for a few weeks, you will love it
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told: I'm too dumb to lie and get away with it.
* and, something fun: See picture above. My wife and I rode from our wedding on our tandem while the church organist played Daisy
Old 12-12-2004, 08:36 AM
equipoised

* where do you live? Cascade, MI (near Grand Rapids in Western MI).
* explanation of your handle: It means in balance or equilibrium.
* explanation of your avatar: I like the blurry pic.
* age (general or specific): 50.
* favorite bike: Ottrott ST.
* what's in your stable: Ottrott ST, Lemond Maillot Jaune, and a Bianchi Milano cruiser.
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 47, downhill in the neighborhood (with a 35 mph speed limit - hoping for a speeding ticket to frame). 36 mph on the flats.
* how many miles on a road bike last year? About 2000.
* picture of your ride? Below. As to head tube height, so I'm tall.
* make up and answer at least one additional question: Dumbest thing ever done on a bike? When I was 5 years old, riding downhill, around a corner, no handed, holding 2 ice cream cones. Woke up in hospital, covered with a green sheet with a hole for my chin, while the doc was stitching said chin.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told: "I can ride downhill, around a corner, no handed, while holding 2 ice cream cones! Watch this!"
Old 12-12-2004, 10:24 AM
50 bpm

* real name Mike
* where do you live? Jacksonville Florida's Alps
* explanation of your handle Homage to Marco
* explanation of your avatar Me, caught napping atop Col de la Ramaz
* occupation Newspaper editor
* favorite bike The next one ... (shh. don't tell the wife)
* what's in your stable? Serotta CSi, DeBernardi SLX
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 51 mph, Sebastopol, Calif., 1992 (the mindless years)
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 5,200 last year, down to just over 4,300 this year with two weeks left
* picture of yourself or your ride? ride after this morning's outing, below
* make up and answer at least one additional question. What is your quest? I seek the grail. And flat hills.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told? This is the biggest lie I've ever told.
* and, something fun When I got my first "Allez! Allez!" by winning a bunch sprint under the banner at Bailly-aux-Forges last year. I may have hit 26 on the top end.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:37 AM
Feel the Force

real name jason
* where do you live? St. Louis Mo
* explanation of your handle :I am a landscaper- hence I dig in dirt
* explanation of your avatar: I liked it.
* occupation :Regional Manager of a commercial grounds maintence co.
* favorite bike The next one ... (shh. don't tell the wife)
* what's in your stable? Lemond Zurich, Serotta Legend, Specialized FSR
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 69.8 mph, This summer in So. Missouri I just cannot seem to hit 70. I can do 55 no handed easily
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 5000 last year, down to just over 3000 this year with two weeks left (we had a baby this year)
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told? I will never buy another bike
Old 12-12-2004, 12:14 PM
imho this is mp bro.

real name: you can't trick the jerk....senor jerk, or meneer jerk or mr. jerk
* where do you live? boston ma
* explanation of your handle :the jerk is a jerk.
* explanation of your avatar: it's mrs. jerk
* occupation pinionated nuisance with some semblence of bicycle knowledge, washed up bike racer who never really wuite made it, freelance journalist and an idiot who spends way to much time hanging out around bikes..
* favorite bike: either the c50 or the spx merckx kermesse bike
* what's in your stable? 1919 peerless speed record bike, holdsworth fixed gear, serotta csi fillet brazed match sprint bike, pegoretti mountain bike, old cyfac/mbk team bike the jerk never gave back, spx merckx kermesse bike, some sc61.10 merckx kermesse bike with a really low bb and a really steep head angle and strange fork rake making for a super tight front center and a bike that sucks to ride unless you are actually in a kermesse, big orange mx leader, and the c50. still waiting for the ble.
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? don't really know. doesn't really matter...the jerk lives in the flat land of eastern massachusetts and previously in the even flatter land of belgium....now a days on a good day the jerk averages 22-23mph.
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? all of them.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told? the jerk is always right...
Old 12-12-2004, 12:39 PM
Banjers51

Who am I?

* where do you live? NE Connecticut
* explanation of your handle: Once owned 32 banjos, or "banjers" as my uncle called them
* age (general or specific): 53
* occupation: college prof and sometimes musician (guess what I play)
* favorite bike: depends on the day/ride
* what's in your stable? Concours Ti, Atlanta, early '70s Club Special; Ibis Spanky; Riv Atlantis; Jamis Nova commuter/beater
* fastest speed on a road bike? A friend clocked us at 52 coming down the Grand Mesa in Colorado a couple of years ago; doubt that I've ever gone faster than that.
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? Don't have a computer on anything, but probably between 5K and 6K.
* picture of yourself or your ride? Don't have one that I'm aware of
* make up and answer at least one additional question. My dream ride/adventure: cycling from Tromsø, Norway to the Kola Peninsula; love that region of the world.
* and, something fun. As much as I enjoy cycling, I probably have the most fun playing and singing music with my wife and daughter.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:18 PM
gimme gimme

* where do you live? Alexandria VA
* explanation of your handle: from the Ramones song, "Gimme Gimme Shock Treatment"
* explanation of your avatar Ramones first album cover
* age (general or specific) 49
* favorite bike: Tomasso SL fixed gear
* what's in your stable? Serotta CSi, Serotta track, Mercier 300, Cinelli Speciale Corsa, Cinelli pista, Ridley Crosswind, Rickert, Specialized Stumpjumper.
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 38 in a flat sprint (Hains Point, Washington DC), 52 downhill (Wolfsville MD)
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? about 5-6k (no computer)
* picture of yourself or your ride? T-town, 2000
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told About my age, that I was younger than I am.
* and, something fun. Playing guitars in my childhood friend's band "The Pathetics"
Old 12-12-2004, 01:29 PM
aka Terry Keele

you got street cred

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockTreatment
* where do you live? Alexandria VA
* explanation of your handle: from the Ramones song, "Gimme Gimme Shock Treatment"
* explanation of your avatar Ramones first album cover
* age (general or specific) 49
* favorite bike: Tomasso SL fixed gear
* what's in your stable? Serotta CSi, Serotta track, Mercier 300, Cinelli Speciale Corsa, Cinelli pista, Ridley Crosswind, Rickert, Specialized Stumpjumper.
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 38 in a flat sprint (Hains Point, Washington DC), 52 downhill (Wolfsville MD)
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? about 5-6k (no computer)
* picture of yourself or your ride? T-town, 2000
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told About my age, that I was younger than I am.
* and, something fun. Playing guitars in my childhood friend's band "The Pathetics"

it's the black socks
Old 12-12-2004, 01:45 PM
gimme gimme

black sox

Yea, I beat that other guy, who was wearing white socks.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:45 PM

dr bob

real name..............bob
where you live........Weston, FL (west of fort Lauderdale)
explanation of handle..........see profession
avatar................how do you make one?
age..........45
occupation...........plastic surgeon
favorite bike............Ottrott ST
Stable..................2004 Ottrott ST; 2001 TREK 5500; ? 2000 Hanglun Sports Apparatus Company (Beiging, China) Titanium; 1970's Motobecane Mirage just turned into a fixie
fastest speed........54mph in 6 gap Georgia
miles last year.............just under 6500
biggest lie..............."I'm a semi-pro"
pictures...............www.westonflyers.com

Last edited by drbob; 12-12-2004 at 03:32 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 12-12-2004, 04:25 PM
JRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len J
Annual tradition on some other boards....this has never been done on this board. Let's finad out about each other.
Len
* real name, if you like Dave
* where do you live? Brattleboro, Vermont....
* explanation of your handle The title of one of my favorite obscure jazz albums; an African goddess of happiness
* explanation of your avatar n/a
* age (general or specific) 42
* occupation XML/publishing geek
* favorite bike Rivendell Romulus
* what's in your stable? Romulus, a new steel Serotta Fierte in the process of being built up, and a Rivendell Saluki on order!
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? recently, 48.6mph descening Mt. Terrible into Ludlow, VT (with a handlebar bag!)
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 4,003!!!
* picture of yourself or your ride? nope
* make up and answer at least one additional question. What do you live for? Backcountry Skiing, Jazz, and the bike...
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told I'm just going for a short ride, honey!
* and, something fun. The feeling of joy on reaching the top of Lincoln Gap, the hardest hill I've ever seen!
Old 12-12-2004, 04:40 PM

* where do you live? Fairfax Station, VA
* explanation of your handle: USAF Academy cadets and graduates are called "Zoomies" among other things; graduated in 1980, first class with women.
* explanation of your avatar: looks like a quick project when I go on vacation for the holidays
* age (general or specific): 46
* favorite bike: my '03 Legend
* what's in your stable? the Legend; '91 Davidson Impulse; '91 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp; '86 Trek 700
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 62mph, on the Trek during the Hardscrabble Century in 1988, going down Hwy 50 by Royal Gorge to Canon City
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 2000 miles; 500 more than last year!
* picture of yourself or your ride? see attachment--2004 Seagull Century
* make up and answer at least one additional question. What's your favorite cycling memory? The bicycle vacation in the Bordeaux region France that my wife and I took in 1993--incredible sights, great people, fantastic food--rode about 50-60 miles a day--total fun and relaxation. Still the best vacation ever!
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told: "Oh, the Ksyriums?...they were the cheapest wheels I could find"
* and, something fun: I took our Cubs Scout Pack on a bike ride around one of our local lakes (Burke Lake)...approx 4.5 miles. We had a dieverse range of kids...ages ranged 7-11 years old. We started with a quick safety check (bikes, helmets) and a chat about "riding etiquette". The kids and their parents absolutely loved the ride!
Old 12-12-2004, 04:41 PM

* real name, if you like Doug
* where do you live? Brownsburg, IN west of Indianapolis, flat and breezy
* explanation of your handle none
* explanation of your avatar none
* age (general or specific) 40
* occupation-- Lawn Care owner fertilizing service
* favorite bike Serotta Legend ST
* what's in your stable? Legend ST, Colorado TG, Santana tandem
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 40, Bloomington Indiana

* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 4,800
* picture of yourself or your ride? Don't really have one...I'll see what i can scan
Old 12-12-2004, 09:12 PM

* where do you live? NE Pennsylvania
* explanation of your handle: I love dogs & I'm heading towards old.
* explanation of your avitar: Someone needs to explane them to me.
* age (general or specific): 47
* favorite bike: Various
* what's in your stable? Paramount P-15, DeRosa Super Prestiege, Schwinn Circut set up for trainer work, Spectrum Ti, Richard Sachs, Merckx MXL, Specialized Stumpjumper FS, Cannondale Tandem.
* fastest speed on a road bike? Ripping down a mtn on tandem, 66.
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? This year ending about 1100. Past years avg about 3000. Next year, more than this year.
* picture of yourself or your ride? Yet to go digital.
* what is the biggest lie you ever told? Honest Judge, I didn't do it!
* make up and answer at least one additional question. Would I love to spend many more days in the saddle? Well..yes.
* and, something fun. I get my fun riding my bike, paddling my kayak and fishing.