Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-02-2021, 11:56 PM

Chilblains

So, my daughter has been having issues with Chilblains. She's 18 and otherwise healthy. Started cycling last fall and had issues all winter. Rearing its ugly toes again this year, now that weather is getting cooler.

We tried using shoe covers, both thin and thick. I don't have anything crazy warm as we live in Monterey, so winter lows are maybe mid 40s and warms quickly to high 50s by ride end. And that's a cold day. The thicker ones that we have tried are Pearl Izumi, but not the thickest neoprene covers.

I've thought about serious winter shoes for her, but she's saying they look stupid and very much overkill. But, if that's the only answer, then so be it.

One of our cycling colleagues says he suffers from it every winter, but just deals with painful, and ugly purple toes during the winter. Reassuring that she is unlikely to have the toes freeze, die and fall off. But, surely, there must be some ideas here on Paceline.

Anyone have any great suggestions? Heated toe pads?

Anything?

Thanks in advance

Jon
Old 12-03-2021, 12:15 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackie View Post
Anything?
How good of a job does she do keeping the rest of her body (especially neck and head) insulated and warm? Hopefully her fashion sense doesn't hold her back there too, because surely keeping the rest of her body warm will help her feet.

If all else, fails, get some dedicated winter shoes. No matter what Fernando Lamas might say, it's better to feel good than to look good, especially in "cold" (for you) weather.
Old 12-03-2021, 12:39 AM

I have been having the same issue the last two seasons. I'm still not sure if I have covid toes or what. I got some winter shoes and wool socks and that has helped alot. I ride in the 40's a couple times a week.
Old 12-03-2021, 12:43 AM
Everything is connected

These will help…Grabber is the only brand that I use.

https://www.rei.com/product/829215/g...armers-8-pairs
Old 12-03-2021, 12:53 AM

/thread hijack/
Only litigators will be even slightly amused by this story, but this thread is the only chance I'll ever have, so here goes and sorry in advance. When I was a young lawyer, I worked for a partner who represented an upper riparian landowner sued by the lower riparian landowner over some water damage. The lower owner sent the defendant an interrogatory asking him to tell everything he knew about floodplains. The partner's literal response: "Defendant does not know floodplains from chilblains and foodstains." The lower owner's lawyer later admitted that for such an interrogatory he deserved that response.
/end hijack/

Best wishes to your daughter.
Old 12-03-2021, 03:33 AM

I had a bout three years ago with this after getting caught in 34 degree rainy day.
So painful for three days I couldn’t wear socks.
Serious stuff. Still rears it’s head on cold wet days.
Buy the boots. She will agree when the pain returns.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackie View Post
So, my daughter has been having issues with Chilblains. She's 18 and otherwise healthy. Started cycling last fall and had issues all winter. Rearing its ugly toes again this year, now that weather is getting cooler.

We tried using shoe covers, both thin and thick. I don't have anything crazy warm as we live in Monterey, so winter lows are maybe mid 40s and warms quickly to high 50s by ride end. And that's a cold day. The thicker ones that we have tried are Pearl Izumi, but not the thickest neoprene covers.

I've thought about serious winter shoes for her, but she's saying they look stupid and very much overkill. But, if that's the only answer, then so be it.

One of our cycling colleagues says he suffers from it every winter, but just deals with painful, and ugly purple toes during the winter. Reassuring that she is unlikely to have the toes freeze, die and fall off. But, surely, there must be some ideas here on Paceline.

Anyone have any great suggestions? Heated toe pads?

Anything?

Thanks in advance

Jon
Heated socks. Good ones aren’t inexpensive. https://cozywinters.com/shop/heated-socks-womens.html. Since your daughter has a medical condition, if she has a flex spending medical saving account, it may be something that can be covered with a letter of necessity from her MD.

Last edited by djg21; 12-03-2021 at 05:32 AM.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:33 AM

heated socks.. w/usb battery.. it helps

last year was bad for me... one toe this year so far. I'm on the socks now
Old 12-03-2021, 08:42 AM

Shoes that are too tight can negate the promised benefit of thicker sox. Some people get warm feet using thin silk socks inside their regular sox.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:41 AM

My feet and hands are perpetually cold in winter - I'll ride road/gravel down into the 20's - I've got a pair of road shoes 1/2 size bigger than the rest and that lets me fit wool socks (not too thick) and a pair of heated insoles or toe warmers, plus I add bontrager soft shell shoe covers, with the fleece-like liner.

Winter shoes is probably easier though, less fuss. Mavic and Northwave both make nice ones for 3-bolt road cleats if they work for her that dont look or feel like big bulky hiking boots like the MTB winter shoes.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:53 AM

I don't have much experience with chilblains, but I do have a lot of experience with cold feet riding in New England. I've used shoe covers, winter shoes, and heated insoles. Here's what I've found:

Booties and overshoes add an extra layer of protection against the elements (wind and water), but most only have a modicum of insulation. I've found that when it is really cold, most booties won't cut it for me. But there are a few with real meaningful insulation, in the form of quilted layer of high loft material. The two I've found warmest are the Pearl Izumi Amfib Shoe Covers, which have a wind and water resistant outer layer with a quilted layer of Primaloft underneath. For me, these work in temperatures into the lower 30s. Even warmer still are the Gore C5 Windstopper Insulated Overshoes. These have a quilted layer of Primaloft that is so thick that it is downright puffy. For me these work in temperatures below freezing.

In terms of winter shoes, I've found that there are a few insulated MTB boots, but winter road shoes typically have little to no insulation. Winter road shoes primarily offer wind and water protection, but not much in insulation. I've tried a few different models of winter road shoes, and frankly I've been disappointed in their warmth. The insulated over shoes I mentioned are much warmer than the winter road shoes I've tried. If you are looking for extra warmth in a shoe, then you may want to consider the models of MTB winter shoes which include layers of insulation.

I've also installed ski boot heated insoles. These do work, although it should be mentioned that the heating element is only under the toe area (for me that was quite okay, since it was my toes that got the coldest). But I found the battery packs to be a bit cumbersome, and batteries could sometimes run out of juice by the end of long rides.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I've also installed ski boot heated insoles. These do work, although it should be mentioned that the heating element is only under the toe area (for me that was quite okay, since it was my toes that got the coldest). But I found the battery packs to be a bit cumbersome, and batteries could sometimes run out of juice by the end of long rides.
The chemical insoles probably easier in this case. I find they'll last 2-3 hours.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:08 AM

I have suffered from chilblians for years. The best thing I have found is a combo of merino wool cycling socks with the chemical foot warmers and shoe covers. The trick is to let the toe warmers get hot before you put them inside the shoes. Let them sit outside the shoe for 5-10 minutes.

This works for me down to about 25F for a couple of hours.

Last edited by 45K10; 12-03-2021 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
The chemical insoles probably easier in this case. I find they'll last 2-3 hours.
In which case I'd have to bring spare pairs and change them in the middle of longer rides.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:54 AM

I've had similar problems, and my solution is I wear unvented shoes a half size up so I can fit thicker socks without squeezing, and then I put a chemical hand warmer between booties and the top of the shoe. Oh, and I carefully prewarm the shoes on an old space heater. Works OK for the short winter rides I do in winter in the Bay Area.