Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-01-2021, 03:18 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

A few years ago I saw a fox running on the side of the road. Pretty normal, no? As I got closer the fox was running with a full sandwich in its mouth.
Video of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flsuAmJKJt0

Second story is:
I was once out on a ride in rural Iowa and it started raining super heavy, like flash flood heavy. The field water drainage was so strong that it flooded the road and I had to make a pitstop at a lone house. Turns out it was a retirement party and I stayed for an hour or so, had a meal and a few beers, and had a buddy come pick me up taking the long route. Yes, those guys are canoeing in the ditch.

Last edited by kppolich; 12-01-2021 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-01-2021, 04:53 PM

We used to have a Dodge car in a tree along one of our routes. It had A12 painted on the roof. If that means anything to you, you're old.
Old 12-02-2021, 01:20 AM

Was riding down the Lake Front Trail in Chicago with a fellow Paceliner, and we came up to one of the underpasses somewhere around Foster. A man was standing in the other lane of the trail, bike over his head. He let out a scream and chucked his bike into the grass. Wish I knew what had brought him to that.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:25 AM

About 30 years ago my wife and I were joined by 2 friends riding MTB's in Moab. Once sees all kinds of things out on the Slickrock trail -

- you see many broken bike parts on the Slickrock trail the most common being pedal reflectors that popped of rental bikes. One one ride I saw a small circular part at the base of a steep pitch and it caused me to stop and look at it. It was a headset cup...the part of the head set that press fits into the frame...sitting out there like it was normal. The type of event that results in a press-in headset cup to pop out makes one shudder to think about.

- we went out to ride Slickrock at sunrise. We really wanted to see the sun come up over a certain section of the trail so we were out there very early long before sun up. We stopped to await the sun rise and were sitting quietly when we could see a guy riding toward us and coming up over a roll in the terrain. He was singing aloud and as he got closer we could first see his head (no helmet) and then his this shoulders (no jersey) than then his torso (no shorts) and finally all of him (no shoes, no nothing). He was completely naked and singing loud. He didn't have any bags on the bike so no way to carry his clothing so he left the car as he was and he was at the far point of the ride. Literally in the middle of nowhere...naked. He passed us with a kind "Hello" and rode past. The guy looked super fit and tanned all over and I asked my wife and her girlfriend what brand of bike he was riding and they couldn't tell me. What happens in Moab stays in Moab.

dave
Old 12-02-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
About 30 years ago my wife and I were joined by 2 friends riding MTB's in Moab. Once sees all kinds of things out on the Slickrock trail -

- you see many broken bike parts on the Slickrock trail the most common being pedal reflectors that popped of rental bikes. One one ride I saw a small circular part at the base of a steep pitch and it caused me to stop and look at it. It was a headset cup...the part of the head set that press fits into the frame...sitting out there like it was normal. The type of event that results in a press-in headset cup to pop out makes one shudder to think about.

- we went out to ride Slickrock at sunrise. We really wanted to see the sun come up over a certain section of the trail so we were out there very early long before sun up. We stopped to await the sun rise and were sitting quietly when we could see a guy riding toward us and coming up over a roll in the terrain. He was singing aloud and as he got closer we could first see his head (no helmet) and then his this shoulders (no jersey) than then his torso (no shorts) and finally all of him (no shoes, no nothing). He was completely naked and singing loud. He didn't have any bags on the bike so no way to carry his clothing so he left the car as he was and he was at the far point of the ride. Literally in the middle of nowhere...naked. He passed us with a kind "Hello" and rode past. The guy looked super fit and tanned all over and I asked my wife and her girlfriend what brand of bike he was riding and they couldn't tell me. What happens in Moab stays in Moab.

dave
That’s a great story. We should all be so “free.”
Old 12-02-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawlx View Post
Was riding down the Lake Front Trail in Chicago with a fellow Paceliner, and we came up to one of the underpasses somewhere around Foster. A man was standing in the other lane of the trail, bike over his head. He let out a scream and chucked his bike into the grass. Wish I knew what had brought him to that.
Next time he’ll go tubeless. 😉
Old 12-02-2021, 09:50 AM

My coworker and I came across this sign while doing some scouting near Sherman, NY. It's now an ongoing office joke.

Old 12-02-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david kirk View Post
about 30 years ago my wife and i were joined by 2 friends riding mtb's in moab. Once sees all kinds of things out on the slickrock trail -

- you see many broken bike parts on the slickrock trail the most common being pedal reflectors that popped of rental bikes. One one ride i saw a small circular part at the base of a steep pitch and it caused me to stop and look at it. It was a headset cup...the part of the head set that press fits into the frame...sitting out there like it was normal. The type of event that results in a press-in headset cup to pop out makes one shudder to think about.

- we went out to ride slickrock at sunrise. We really wanted to see the sun come up over a certain section of the trail so we were out there very early long before sun up. We stopped to await the sun rise and were sitting quietly when we could see a guy riding toward us and coming up over a roll in the terrain. He was singing aloud and as he got closer we could first see his head (no helmet) and then his this shoulders (no jersey) than then his torso (no shorts) and finally all of him (no shoes, no nothing). He was completely naked and singing loud. He didn't have any bags on the bike so no way to carry his clothing so he left the car as he was and he was at the far point of the ride. Literally in the middle of nowhere...naked. He passed us with a kind "hello" and rode past. The guy looked super fit and tanned all over and i asked my wife and her girlfriend what brand of bike he was riding and they couldn't tell me. What happens in moab stays in moab.

Dave
potd!
Old 12-02-2021, 02:26 PM

This happened to me last spring, so it clearly made an impression, but I was on a ride in the East Bay area on a "canyon" road that dead ends at a naturist resort property (beyond the view from the road). Locals will probably know the road, it's a nice easy ride. I heard a polite horn toot and a car rolled up beside me with the windows rolled down and I was asked for directions to the resort. Four passengers, all (un)kitted out for their day in the sun! Completely normal question nothing to see here, I pointed toward the end of the road a couple of miles up, they smiled and thanked me. Hey, it's California!
Old 12-02-2021, 06:25 PM

There was a guy who used two huskies to pull him along on a cruiser style bike. The gentleman had a shaved head, wore a white sleeveless t-shirt, black glasses, usually sporting a blue bandanna on his body, and always had a hola for the reactions he got while he did laps around a local park that starts a lot of my rides. Dude hit some truly high average speeds and didn’t mind someone trying to keep up. He always smiled like one smiles when they’re living large.

On a recent early morning, while it was still dark, I was heading north and saw a car coming towards me. They had their blinker on to turn in front of me, so I clocked in to make sure I wouldn’t get run over. They slowed down more than I would have guessed, and as I started to really focus on the car, I noticed the windshield was completely frosted over. And that’s when I saw two smiles floating out the side of the driver and passenger window. There were two heads smiling at me as I crossed their path in partial fear and elation at how what was happening unfolded in front of me.

I should take more pictures because I’ve found way too many things along the way to recall.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:26 PM

i hate seeing roadkill but I have honestly never seen a bobcat up close that wasnt intentionally hunted. beautiful and HUGE. Too bad it met such a horrible fate. Honestly didnt know they were still in this area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg botcat.jpg (144.2 KB, 183 views)
Old 12-03-2021, 05:55 AM
Strong Walker

We witnessed some heli-concrete-wizardry when crossing the Bernina Pass in Switzerland. Got to love it when they go full "Apocalypse Now" mode with the empty bucket

looked like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4SXSshkahY

Last edited by martl; 12-03-2021 at 06:01 AM.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:18 AM
Descent fitness

At least one of our county road repair crew members has an artistic flair. His work is spread all around the county, and is fun to see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CC586EC5-BC94-4D0D-8DA0-FA888779A962.jpg (153.2 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg 0067E5C0-A06A-470C-8141-C4FCD95B1FD9.jpg (159.9 KB, 153 views)
Old 12-03-2021, 06:33 PM

There used to be an old guy around Prairie du Rocher, Il. that had an old bike equipped with an air-cooled engine with a pusher prop on it. Prop was about 4’ in length; nothing in the way of a guard. Came in handy for biking up the bluff roads.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:04 PM

0651A9E6-B575-4449-8E4D-9B303A63CE79.jpeg

Love, peace, and harmony…very nice, but maybe in the next world.