Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-01-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
I think that it looks good. I will take my share of abuse now.

However it is not in the same league as this:

Maybe favorite review of the Pacer:

“AMC’s only conceivable excuse for this stylistic horror would be if their design crew was tripping on massive quantities of acid … and even then, it wouldn’t be a good excuse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2021, 08:44 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Looks to me like visibility in the rear-side quadrants would be a nightmare.

Old 12-02-2021, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Looks to me like visibility in the rear-side quadrants would be a nightmare.

And the answer to this is more electronics for the inattentive--lane assist, and those stupid warnings to tell you that there is a car beside you or passing...

Sometimes I hate the modern world!
Old 12-02-2021, 08:20 AM

Big difference?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think this would trigger much of a reaction if I saw it in the wild.
Not that much different from most of the other Japanese cars out there IMHO.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:35 AM

High Hip design in the back might just be a way to style away the huge C-pillar? I actually think this version is pretty good looking compared to recent years of Nissans. Nissans seemed to be good looking back in the day but went through a pretty ugly period the last 10 years or so? The Grill on this one is good, way better than Toyota or BMW right now.

The pillars have been getting crazy big on modern cars to increase the roof strength for rollover accidents.

Modern cars have incredibly strong roofs compared to the past. Remember those Volvo ads where they stacked the cars? Basically all cars have to have roofs that strong now. Back in the day only Volvo cared, now it's part of the standards.

I increasingly find this whole V-6 FWD sedan thing insanely tacky and silly. They're not super functional or utilitarian cars, they're not super fast, they have too much power for the front wheels, too much weight over the front axle, and they are not particularly efficient.

They're dinosaurs at this point, stick electric motors in all of them.

My wife has as Lexus ES330 and it's obviously well executed just like the Maxima, and it drives a lot better than the V6 Accord she used to have, but they're all executions of an idea that's pointless in 2021 I think.

Last edited by benb; 12-02-2021 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:14 AM

it's all about aesthetics and personal taste

all the lumps and bumps in the design of the Maxima just look weird to my eye. my eye prefers something smoother. so given a choice i'd choose an Accord...for instance. the design "languages" are just different i guess.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...-honda-accord/

and Nissan has smoothed out the Altima.

https://www.caranddriver.com/nissan/altima

Last edited by eddief; 12-02-2021 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:41 AM
n - 1

I thought Nissan did a great job with the new Frontier. Guess all the R&D went there.

Old 12-02-2021, 11:01 AM
DELETE ACCNT

The Maxima is an old design, when Nissan was with a different design language in 2015. Maxima is heavily inspired by the Sway concept car.

The Altima has grown and Maxima almost doesn't have a place anymore. Rumor that they will kill off the Maxima after 22. Maybe it will come back as a EV model...

The new Nissan's are great. I really like what they are doing.
The Frontier is using the existing platform (nothing wrong with it and dead reliable) while bringing the body and style up to competitive levels.
Pathfinder and Infiniti QX60 look great as well.

Nissan has a history of swinging big on styling. It paid off for products like the Murano (inspired by Italian glass sculpting) and they have a line of big hits and misses in design.
Old 12-02-2021, 03:54 PM

An interesting opinion article lamenting that car designs have generally morphed into a ubiquitous form.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/01/o...sultPosition=2
Old 12-02-2021, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
An interesting opinion article lamenting that car designs have generally morphed into a ubiquitous form.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/01/o...sultPosition=2
Paywall block.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
The Maxima is an old design, when Nissan was with a different design language in 2015. Maxima is heavily inspired by the Sway concept car.

The Altima has grown and Maxima almost doesn't have a place anymore. Rumor that they will kill off the Maxima after 22. Maybe it will come back as a EV model...

The new Nissan's are great. I really like what they are doing.
The Frontier is using the existing platform (nothing wrong with it and dead reliable) while bringing the body and style up to competitive levels.
Pathfinder and Infiniti QX60 look great as well.

Nissan has a history of swinging big on styling. It paid off for products like the Murano (inspired by Italian glass sculpting) and they have a line of big hits and misses in design.
Nissan styling has been very hit or miss for decades. Their California design studio pushed out a number of polarizing designs and which design is selected for production is based on a design contest methodology between different studios from California to Michigan to Japan.

Back in the day the Maxima was a flagship. The Four Door Sports Car was the heyday. VQ engine and nice styling made the Maxima a segment leading nameplate. Things took a downturn when Nissan combined both the Maxima and Altima on the same platform. The Maxima got the better engine and an upscale interior, but the chassis was a pricepoint choice at that point and it hurt. I suspect the reason the Maxima looks as gaudy as it does now is directly related to Nissan's attempt to separate it from the Altima. I've seen a few on the road and my first thought is about how huge it looks. Long gone is any suggestion of sporty performance. I wouldn't be surprised if Nissan kills the nameplate, although I think it will be a shame since the Maxima's linage goes all the way back to the Bluebird in the early 1970's.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:04 AM

nissan has been in decline since renault bought them...
Old 12-03-2021, 11:34 AM
DELETE ACCNT

Well, the Nissan Renault relationship is interesting since Ghosn's massive scandal in 2018.
Looks like Nissan execs took over with some insane movie-level tactics. Pretty insane story- anyway,

Nissan and Renault are platform sharing, (like the Quashqai and XTrail - Rogue/Rogue Sport-Kadjar/Koleos)
I think the Nissan/Renault/Mitsu alliance might bear fruit. At least the slew of new Nissans seem to indicate it.

I really like what is coming out of Nissan right now. They are strongly rated, well executed. Lets see the sales #'s though.
Old 12-03-2021, 11:40 AM

And the new Nissan Pathfinder has a real 9 speed transmission to go with that proven 3.5 engine. No CVT like in the past.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinkozmo View Post
nissan has been in decline since renault bought them...
Not really. Ghosn is a freaking genius and saved Nissan. He was arguably the top automotive executive in the world. What they say about absolute power is true though, and his crash and burn story is one for the ages.