Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2021, 12:12 AM

I bought a set of pedals on ebay Tuesday before thanksgiving from a guy in SD. Original tracking from usps said they were scheduled to arrive in NY on Saturday 11/27. After not arriving, I looked at tracking to find that the pedals were in Anchorage AK. Most recent update says that they will be arriving in NY tomorrow. We shall seeā€¦
Old 12-03-2021, 03:53 AM

USPS has been very slow even with Priority. 2 days can take 4-5 days.

My local post office lady won't take a parcel if I use eBay printed labels, I have to buy them from her. So, I use other services.

My delivery person will stuff and shove and bent a package to fit into my mailbox instead of driving up my circular driveway and if she is forced to drive to my door, the package is thrown onto the porch. UPS, Fedex, DHL, and even Amazon gypsies will walk it up and place it by the door.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:39 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
USPS has been very slow even with Priority. 2 days can take 4-5 days.

My local post office lady won't take a parcel if I use eBay printed labels, I have to buy them from her. So, I use other services.

My delivery person will stuff and shove and bent a package to fit into my mailbox instead of driving up my circular driveway and if she is forced to drive to my door, the package is thrown onto the porch. UPS, Fedex, DHL, and even Amazon gypsies will walk it up and place it by the door.
What? They are still being 'bought' from USPS. That's BS...

BUT, I have been looking at tracking for something from UPS and it seems to be in the twilight zone.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:51 AM

Everything that I have sent or ordered seems to have been fine--except one package that went on a trip around the country before finally arriving.

Oddly, you could track it while it was happening--and it had the same pre-printed eBay labels as everything else.

That said--with the last round of rate hikes, for anything other than < 1 pound/first class, I have been using Fedex Ground/Home since the prices are better.

Fedex though are still doing the 'oh, this was an unusual delivery, so we are charging you an extra couple of bucks even though you based the transaction on the price we quoted'--and the charge shows up after the transaction is completed, and eBay puts it through. Sometimes it is more than a couple of bucks...

If my local post office refused the prepaid labels, I would call the local postmaster and complain--this is clearly an attempt to make the local PO look more profitable.

Last edited by paredown; 12-03-2021 at 06:53 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-03-2021, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
What? They are still being 'bought' from USPS. That's BS...

BUT, I have been looking at tracking for something from UPS and it seems to be in the twilight zone.
Exactly. We have three very small PO locally, all staffed and run by the same family. The one refusing ebay printed label is the Post Master, she explained that they should not be delivering packages, only mail and at the rates eBay gives me, they would be losing money. She lets her dog run around the place, so, she makes her own rules.

I would just be happy if they did not throw my packages from the driveway onto my porch......I run SRAM not Campy.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Bring back the days of US Postal racing I say!

Old 12-03-2021, 09:16 AM

I think most deliveries are a bit slow this time a year....especially this and last year.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
Exactly. We have three very small PO locally, all staffed and run by the same family. The one refusing ebay printed label is the Post Master, she explained that they should not be delivering packages, only mail and at the rates eBay gives me, they would be losing money. She lets her dog run around the place, so, she makes her own rules.
Doesn't that violate the core fundamentals of any shipping service, govt or private? Shipping anything is literally only possible by aggregation of volume, are you supposed to charge the marginal cost for every additional package on each truck, and then refund it later?

Maybe file a report w/ the postal inspectors, they don't jack around.
Old 12-03-2021, 12:00 PM

Probably a contract service. Not all the people you see at the USPS are employees. Many smaller POs are run by contractors. Mine is - two of 'em got sick last year (out of three) and the mail was like 10 days to 2 weeks late for a while.

Last edited by HenryA; 12-03-2021 at 12:03 PM.