Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Old 09-05-2017, 09:43 AM

Mountain Bike Projects

A direct result of the n+1 philosophy. I now have 12 mountain bike projects in the hopper with a buddy of mine and a possible 13th on the horizon.
From left to right
Kirk Revolution, Litespeed Machete, Kestrel MXZ, Boulder Defiant Ti, Custom Serotta, GT Xiazang, Merlin XLM, Amp B4, Nuke Proof Ti, Moots Rigermootis, Bridgestone MB-S, Mountain Goat Whiskey Town Racer there is also a steel Nishiki Alien but it is being built as a cross bike so I guess it doesn't count here.
The Moots and the Merlin are complements of Clean39T, thanks they are beautiful on their way to being put back into circulation!
I have now purchased nearly all of my dream bikes from my early mountain biking days! Just need a Clark Kent and an early Ritchey and maybe I can stop buying bikes for a while.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0748.JPG (144.7 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0742.jpg (77.9 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0743.jpg (101.0 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0744.jpg (90.8 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0745.jpg (96.3 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0746.jpg (91.9 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0747.jpg (76.3 KB, 186 views)
Old 09-05-2017, 09:49 AM

That's so awesome!

You need my MB-1 and my Bontager Race Light!
Old 09-05-2017, 09:53 AM

What's the story on the fork on the seafoam one at the end?

That Serotta looks cool. Never seen a Serotta made segmented ti fork.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:22 AM

The Bontrager is inciting but I have a NOS MB-1 I purchased and built last year. What you are seeing here are the project bikes I have a a bunch of finished ones as well.
The Green on e on the end is the Mountain Goat and it has an early Amp/Lawill fork. Its basically the same design as the one on the Amp but but in CNC Al and Steel rather than the Carbon and CNC Al of the Amp. The same fork is also on the Kirk just in a different color.
Yes the Serotta was sold to me as a custom frame and fork but I am still not sure the fork is Serotta or someone else.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:39 AM

Nice!

I always thought the Litespeed Machete was the most bizarre and ugliest Ti MTB produced. What were they thinking?!
Old 09-05-2017, 11:41 AM

Wow! Those are all really nice rigs.

And some very cool period correct forks to match!!
Old 09-05-2017, 12:08 PM

That GT Xiazang is awesome. There is one listed locally that is too big for me. Awesome stuff!

Old 09-05-2017, 12:20 PM

Thanks, the Machete is in that it's so ugly its cool for me. When you pick it up the realize the end goal was to make the worlds heaviest titanium bike, mission accomplished. It became a had to have because it also came with the only litespeed suspension fork I have ever seen, the upper and lower crowns are forged titanium.
Thanks for the notice on the period forks. They mostly work like crap but I love the look of them.
Thats a nice xizang, it looks great with the hi polish!
Old 09-05-2017, 01:21 PM

that boulder....... always wanted one of those, when i was a kid in Pasadena CA a guy had one of those he had built up with all kinds of cool parts including westpine brakes and hub, mora ti cranks, etc. Always made me drool.

That big Serotta and Mountaingoat are on my "list" although I would rather have a deluxe with a crazy paintjob. I once worked on one with all kinds of dinosaurs airbrushed on it, radical.

AMP forks rule.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:11 PM
Shoegazer

Insane! I think you have everything cool from the 90's except an Ibis Ti-Bow! ;D
Old 09-05-2017, 02:29 PM

This brings back all kinds of memories from that era. The Serotta and the Whiskytown Racer are so great. I remember when people were giving away those AMP forks when technology "improved".

My dream lineup would include the 21" Syncros'd-out black and white '92 Rocky Mountain Blizzard my teenaged self used to drool all over at the LBS and probably the blood red rigid Yeti FRO that another shop had.

KJ
Old 09-05-2017, 02:34 PM

The westpine stuff was always cool but it never made it to Nebraska. The Clark Kent pineapples were around a little. The Mora ti stuff always scared me off with the price and the fact that I'm not a delicate person and for better or worse I heard the mora stuff cracked pretty easily.
I can tell you that I have some Machine Tech Zero Flex brakes and levers a set of Sweetwings MTB cranks, a NOS set of Race Face Next cranks, 3 moots stems a sweet wings stem and various other bits and bobs that will be going on some of these bikes. I also have a couple of sets of Nuke proof ti wheels and a set of the carbon shell nuke's as well. I also have some of the GT/Hadley wheel-sets. My plan of buying cool stuff and hoping to find something to put it on has finally started paying off!
I would prefer the Deluxe MG as well but the ones that I have seen have been well outside of my price range. This one was a fixer upper and turned out really well.
I ruined a bunch of amp pins before I finally paid a mint for some Amp tools and spare parts so I now have 2 of the Amp pin tools if some one happens to need to borrow one. The Amps are some of the coolest looking fork out there to be sure.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:36 PM

So Cool

That is a great collection of sweet bikes.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:39 PM

What are all the frames hanging in the background on the rack? You must have a crazy budget. And a very understanding spouse!!!
Old 09-05-2017, 02:40 PM

There is a guy in town that has a 2001 Rocky Mountain Element Team SC. Such a light FS bike but wow it feels fragile. I would like to find a Ti Mega Alpine Star but they are rare as hen's teeth as well. Yetis are very cool but they have progressed out of my price range. I nearly purchased a Ti yeti but a the end of the day it was still $2700+ and I couldn't pull the trigger.