Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Old 08-13-2017, 06:34 PM
Category VI

#IndyFabulous Crown Jewel 56

Just finished building up this beauty. I'm going to take it out for a short spin tomorrow before the charity ride I'm doing on Wed and Thurs (175k and 130k respectively).

Build list:

Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel (55), sourced here
Forte Axis Pro fork has GOT TO GO. ISO different, inexpensive 1" option.
FSA 1" headset.
Deda Superleggera 120 stem, mated to Thomson stem adapter
Cannondale C3 42 Handlebars until my Zero100 bars arrive.
105 5800 shifters, derailleurs, sourced here.
Ultegra 6800 170 compact cranks, sourced here.
SRAM RED black brakes, sourced here.
Velocity A23 Powertap rear, WI front, sourced here.
Salsa ti skewers.
Cinelli Mash Histogram tape.
Spurcycle bell.
Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt.

Selle Italia Flite carbonio saddle in current iteration.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by ANAO; 08-22-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:02 PM

rad, love the color and the brown saddle
Old 08-13-2017, 09:07 PM

Nice, love that color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2017, 10:48 PM

Glad this bike got a proper build, I had been eyeing it for a while!
Old 08-13-2017, 11:31 PM

Agreed on that color, looks great! Always sad to see the "Somerville" label now that I live there
Old 08-22-2017, 08:48 AM

awesome color. definitely have a Crown Jewel on my wish list, I just adore Indy Fabs.

ride report, after all those the charity ride miles?

it's interesting that there's so much clearance between tire and seat tube. I'd expect a CJ to have a bit shorter chainstays and less clearance.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:14 AM
Category VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
awesome color. definitely have a Crown Jewel on my wish list, I just adore Indy Fabs.

ride report, after all those the charity ride miles?

it's interesting that there's so much clearance between tire and seat tube. I'd expect a CJ to have a bit shorter chainstays and less clearance.
The bike rides awesome. I had the chance to ride many hours with Cadel Evans, George Hincapie, Christian Vande Velde and the entire Cycling Academy Team - pretty cool opportunity. Dan from Nam was eyeing my bike at the lunch stop on day 1 and my wife goes, "Eli...that bearded hippy is staring at you." So I introduced myself and he oggled some more and goes, "man! All this expensive carbon and nobody has a nice bike! (Many Pina F10's and the like) I love this Indy Fab!"

Dan Craven's a cool dude. So we rode together some, and had a great time. My friend comes over with his Sagan Edition S-Works Allez, with the rainbow livery and sparkly top coat, Lightweight wheels, busyman saddle, Enve aero bars, full Di2 9000 build kit, and goes, "Dan, not all of these bikes are just expensive carbon. Check out this one!" Dan goes, "get this ugly specialized out of my face, I'm trying to look at the Indy Fab!"

It was all great. The bike rode awesome, except that I'm missing something in my headset (not sure what) to stop the HS from binding. It's always either too tight or too loose, so I'm walking the line with microadjustments to the pre-load at every single rest stop, trying to get it to be silent, yet still able to handle. Anybody have suggestions?

Also, I ran into somebody who may have an EC90 1" steerer which will be a (super) welcome upgrade if that works out!
Old 08-22-2017, 09:15 AM
Category VI

Here are some snaps from the ride, and one with the trailer I took Celia out in this past Sunday. She loved it! First time for us!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAO View Post
Dan Craven's a cool dude. So we rode together some, and had a great time. My friend comes over with his Sagan Edition S-Works Allez, with the rainbow livery and sparkly top coat, Lightweight wheels, busyman saddle, Enve aero bars, full Di2 9000 build kit, and goes, "Dan, not all of these bikes are just expensive carbon. Check out this one!" Dan goes, "get this ugly specialized out of my face, I'm trying to look at the Indy Fab!"

It was all great. The bike rode awesome, except that I'm missing something in my headset (not sure what) to stop the HS from binding. It's always either too tight or too loose, so I'm walking the line with microadjustments to the pre-load at every single rest stop, trying to get it to be silent, yet still able to handle. Anybody have suggestions?
that story rules! Dan seems like a really nice guy, so I'm not surprised.

for your headset, I would make 100% sure you have all the correct parts. I had the exact same issue and it turned out that the bearing cap was for a different diameter steerer. so it wasn't seating fully with the upper cup, and thus letting the preload be set correctly. this was a CK headset for a tapered steerer though and I think the guy that sold me the bike just threw in the wrong one. yours looks like an FSA and from what I can tell, nothing funky going on. perhaps pull the steerer, clean and re-grease it? and make 100% sure all the parts make a nice seal with each other.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:03 AM
Category VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
that story rules! Dan seems like a really nice guy, so I'm not surprised.

for your headset, I would make 100% sure you have all the correct parts. I had the exact same issue and it turned out that the bearing cap was for a different diameter steerer. so it wasn't seating fully with the upper cup, and thus letting the preload be set correctly. this was a CK headset for a tapered steerer though and I think the guy that sold me the bike just threw in the wrong one. yours looks like an FSA and from what I can tell, nothing funky going on. perhaps pull the steerer, clean and re-grease it? and make 100% sure all the parts make a nice seal with each other.
The guy who has the Easton fork suggested that the ring that goes just beneath the dust cap (right above the upper bearings) may have been upside down, so I flipped it. It seemed to mate better, but didn't help.

He also told me that there's a plastic micro-spacer that goes in there, that I don't have. I don't even know where to look for that, if that were the issue.

The bike rattled a fair bit over the ride
Old 08-22-2017, 12:02 PM

#IndyFabulous Crown Jewel 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAO View Post
The bike rides awesome. I had the chance to ride many hours with Cadel Evans, George Hincapie, Christian Vande Velde and the entire Cycling Academy Team - pretty cool opportunity. Dan from Nam was eyeing my bike at the lunch stop on day 1 and my wife goes, "Eli...that bearded hippy is staring at you." So I introduced myself and he oggled some more and goes, "man! All this expensive carbon and nobody has a nice bike! (Many Pina F10's and the like) I love this Indy Fab!"

Also, I ran into somebody who may have an EC90 1" steerer which will be a (super) welcome upgrade if that works out!

This sounds like an issue I had recently. Turned out that the top of the fork, where the bottom race fits, wasn't square. When you have your headset apart, install the fork up to the lower bearing and make sure the steerer tube is centered in the head tube. Mine was cocked to one side. Could never set the preload, a real pain. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2017, 12:07 PM
cmg

here a snapshot of an FSA headset. it's usually it's the split ring #3 not sitting correctly that causes the problem, it has triangular cross section to center the steerer as pressure is being applied from the top cap. early ones (chris king) just had a rubber o ring that was never strong enough to hold the steerer in place. http://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/ty...s/orbit-x-3911 very cool indy.
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture headset.PNG (42.3 KB, 299 views)
Old 08-22-2017, 12:10 PM
Category VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg View Post
here a snapshot of an FSA headset. it's usually it's the split ring #3 not sitting correctly that causes the problem, it has triangular cross section to center the steerer as pressure is being applied from the top cap. early ones (chris king) just had a rubber o ring that was never strong enough to hold the steerer in place. http://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/ty...s/orbit-x-3911 very cool indy.
I'm missing #3! That's it! I knew there was something else. I thought that #4 was upside down.

Where can I find that metal 98% retaining circle?
Old 08-22-2017, 01:02 PM

You have a doberman?!?
Old 08-22-2017, 01:10 PM
Category VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrs View Post
You have a doberman?!?
I feel like you say you do, but you really don't know me.

Our friend Sugarcane Shane had a whole litter this past February, and we adopted Maxamillion in May or so. He's about 6 months now, 65 lbs.

Last edited by ANAO; 08-22-2017 at 01:17 PM.