Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 08-05-2017, 05:52 AM

cleat shims

I've noticed that my right leg is a bit shorter than my left, so I'll get a bit of inflammation on the inside of my right knee after long periods of riding. Do you have any suggestions for shims I could use to raise the contact point of my right foot by a millimeter or two?
Old 08-05-2017, 09:07 AM

http://www.bikefit.com/c-1-cleat-wedges.aspx

You can adjust length and/or angle with these.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:46 PM

Angry

Do you know if you have a structural discrepancy, caused by differences in bone structure? Or is it functional, i.e., caused by muscular weakness or inflexibility? How did you “notice” the discrepancy?

Most people have leg-lengthy discrepancies. You generally do not need to shim if your discrepancy is only a few mm because your ankles should articulate enough to compensate for small differences in leg length. Shimming generally is necessary if there is a larger structural discrepancy.

I’d bet there is something else causing your knee inflammation.

Don’t know what the icon is all about or how to delete it.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:15 AM

I notice the inflammation and I assumed that's due to differences in leg length. It also tends to happen when I'm not using a leather saddle.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver View Post
I notice the inflammation and I assumed that's due to differences in leg length. It also tends to happen when I'm not using a leather saddle.
Does this mean that you have multiple bikes? Or are you swapping the seat on the same bike? Are you readjusting saddle height and fore-aft when you switch the seat? Some leather saddles may suspend you “hammock-like,” while firmer, flatter saddles and might add to the effective saddle height.

Seat height generally should be based on the shorter leg if you have a minor discrepacy, If the discrepacy is functional, maybe some stretching/strengthening would be beneficial.

Before you do anything, you should have someone who knows what they are doing look at your bike fit. You also should have someone look at your feet and shoes. There are any number of variables that might result in knee pain and you haven’t provided much information.

Last edited by djg21; 08-07-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:24 PM

I do have multiple bikes but in this case I changed the saddle. I've adjusted fore-aft position, angle, and saddle height.

It's not a huge amount of pain but the back of the knee becomes inflamed. It generally happens if my right leg is extending too far. I've never had it happen to my left leg. While lowering the seatpost helps, I wanted to try using a shim for a bit to see if that also helps.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:03 AM

What kind of pedals and cleats are you using? Some cleats have better shims available than the one-size-fits-all BikeFit.com shims.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:08 PM

I use spd pedals (M520 or M540? I can't remember) and the standard release cleats.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:18 AM

Your left leg could be the problem one? Perhaps you're dropping off to the left and are having to overextend your right leg to reach the pedal?
Old 08-10-2017, 11:56 AM

Cleat shims have worked great for me so far.

Truncated backstory: IT band issues in one leg. Realized saddle was a bit too high (and also I'd get sloppy with my pedaling). Lowered saddle; knee issues in other leg. Eventually I came to an 'inbetween' saddle height that was pain-free for up to 600km. Remembered that when I was about 12 or so, I bent my leg (not full-on broke but literally bowed it out a little bit), and that maybe as a result, that leg might be a bit shorter...

Got the Bike Fit shim this year, raised my saddle an equal amount, and now I definitely feel closer to even than before. Not completely even but noticeably more comfortable on the two 600k's I did. Going to tackle my first 1200k later this month so it will be a better test of the limitations of my current fit. Won't know until I try.

I haven't yet gone to a doctor or a professional fitter, part money, part hardheadedness, but I feel I'd only trust a fitter who was a doctor AND an ultra-cyclist? I've gotten this far with tweaking and refining my own fit, and have heard enough horror stories about bad fits, so I don't really see the value in rolling the dice when I can just do it myself and see if it works or not.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:29 PM

This.

I do not have experience with spd pedals but the ones I ve seen after a few months they get kind'a wiggly, and you have a good chance that the problem is not about a shorter leg but about your body being not able to cope with the pedal any more.

I would ask a friend nearby to borrow a pair of regular road pedals for a few days just to start.

Good luck with this one op because I had a problem like yours where my shorter leg was bothering me and were the pedals, swapped to something with more platform that is as stable as you can get and the problem pretty much went gonzo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroon View Post
Your left leg could be the problem one? Perhaps you're dropping off to the left and are having to overextend your right leg to reach the pedal?
Old 08-10-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroon View Post
I think my right leg is getting pulled a bit at the end of the pedal stroke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajaye View Post
Got the Bike Fit shim this year, raised my saddle an equal amount, and now I definitely feel closer to even than before. Not completely even but noticeably more comfortable on the two 600k's I did. Going to tackle my first 1200k later this month so it will be a better test of the limitations of my current fit. Won't know until I try.
I haven't had this problem recently until I did my 1400k, but I also put on a new saddle since my butt was hurting during my last 600k (but fine for 400k and less). Good luck on your 1200k. Which one are you doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajaye View Post
I haven't yet gone to a doctor or a professional fitter, part money, part hardheadedness, but I feel I'd only trust a fitter who was a doctor AND an ultra-cyclist? I've gotten this far with tweaking and refining my own fit, and have heard enough horror stories about bad fits, so I don't really see the value in rolling the dice when I can just do it myself and see if it works or not.
This is pretty much the same for me. Also I don't have a real job and nor a real income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
This.

I do not have experience with spd pedals but the ones I ve seen after a few months they get kind'a wiggly, and you have a good chance that the problem is not about a shorter leg but about your body being not able to cope with the pedal any more.

I would ask a friend nearby to borrow a pair of regular road pedals for a few days just to start.

Good luck with this one op because I had a problem like yours where my shorter leg was bothering me and were the pedals, swapped to something with more platform that is as stable as you can get and the problem pretty much went gonzo.
My pedals don't feel wiggly. I'll consider this after exhausting other options as I'd rather not have to swap to road shoes and pedals. But thanks for the suggestion!
Old 08-28-2017, 09:51 AM

cleat shims

In my experience, cleat shims don't work on spd pedals. They cause the cleat to move and you will notice the cleat hitting the ground when you walk. If you have the room, you could try a thin pad inside the shoe if you don't need a thick shim.

Last edited by MikeD; 08-28-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
In my experience, cleat shims don't work on spd pedals. They cause the cleat to move and you will notice the cleat hitting the ground when you walk. If you have the room, you could try a thin pad inside the shoe if you don't need a thick shim.
Thanks!

I haven't had an issue in the last few weeks but I've been riding less and using a different bike. I'll try this out first if the problem returns, as I haven't gotten around to buying cleat shims.