Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Old 09-06-2017, 09:16 PM

Have you done any longer rides on this? I've always wanted a Merlin, this Litespeed has me thinking about getting a titanium frame over the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2017, 09:23 PM

Define long.

My average Saturday ride is 80-100 miles and I ride between 180 and 300 miles per week. I don't doddle on the bike all day much anymore, I try to get on the road by 6:30am and done by noon at the latest but every once in awhile I'll do a 7-9 hour ride. My Saturday rides were rough on the Evo. Back aching and it being a general drag coming home for the last 10 miles. I never have that issue with this.

I will say though that there's a big difference between this and older Ti (pre-2013). Oversized head tube, bottom bracket and beefy chainstays make it much more like a carbon bike than older Ti while retaining most of the comfort. With that being said, for a winter bike, a Merlin would probably be a good fit but if you want something racey, get modern Ti.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:02 PM

That sounds like everything I'd ever want out of a road bike. Get out early in the morning, do 70-90 miles and be back for lunch.

Were there any other modern Ti bikes you considered before settling on this one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2017, 09:26 PM

Moots RSL was considered but the geo is now too uptight. I'm not a big fan of a lot of the shops that use straight guage, unshaped tubes. Firefly comes to mind. It's just over priced to me. An Eriksen goes for half the price. Litespeed on the other hand does a lot of tube shaping. Nearly every tube on the T3 has been shaped in some way. Tube shaping in my opinion is why a frame like the CAAD can become such a great frame out of not such a great material. What does Firefly offer? At least with Moots you get tubes that are butted in such a way that only one company in the world is capable of doing that.

While I haven't ridden other high end, modern Ti, I have ridden the cream of the crop carbon and that's my reference point. Litespeed may not have the snob appeal but I feel that they make a damn good bike with very good geo. So, for me, it's a no brainer getting a bike from them. The only thing I'd consider replacing this frame with would be a do it all Eriksen or a T1SL.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2017, 09:45 PM

What seat post is that?
Old 11-07-2017, 04:58 PM

Dang, my bikes suck. And I have nice bikes.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:22 PM

Looks really sweet, but makes my back hurt just looking at it!
Old 11-08-2017, 11:17 AM

Thanks everyone. Drop on this bike is only around 9.5cm I think. I was running around 12cm I think on this bike:

And I think this was almost 13cm:

Or maybe it was the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
What seat post is that?
It's an Mcfk post.