Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 05-01-2017, 06:27 PM

Fit advice for long torso and short legs

Hi, I'm 178cm tall with a 79.5cm inseam and 66.5cm arm, and I don't ride in a very aggressive race position (probably somewhere closer to a endurance profile).

All the fit calculators I've tried suggest me to get a bike with 53-54cm seat tube and a 57-58cm top tube, which I'm having a hard time to find. Different LBS put me on a 54cm or 56cm frame depending on the brand. I wonder what I should focus on in order to get the right fit for me.

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:14 PM

What's your current bike size/make/model and how does it fit? What's the stem size?
Old 05-03-2017, 02:31 PM

Plenty of cross frames would probably get you in that ballpark. If you are indeed looking for more of a contemporary race-style road setup that could be a challenge. Overall though I think a lot of folks would probably recommend not placing too much stock in a fit calculator. Did they give you even a quick fit at the shop or just say hop on this one? Also, what Peter P. said, what's your bike now?
Old 05-04-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Hi, I'm 178cm tall with a 79.5cm inseam and 66.5cm arm, and I don't ride in a very aggressive race position (probably somewhere closer to a endurance profile).

All the fit calculators I've tried suggest me to get a bike with 53-54cm seat tube and a 57-58cm top tube, which I'm having a hard time to find. Different LBS put me on a 54cm or 56cm frame depending on the brand. I wonder what I should focus on in order to get the right fit for me.

Thanks.
Would this work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/56-5-cm-EDDY...8AAOSwhvFZB0os

Sizes:

Seatpost tube:
56.5 cm centre top
55 cm centre centre

Top tube:
57 cm centre centre

Old 05-05-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I wonder what I should focus on in order to get the right fit for me.
I bet the current wave of so-called endurance frames will not be long enough for you, relative to your saddle height. Instead, go for a larger normal (not-endurance) road frame to maintain still moderate stack relative to your low saddle while keeping the long reach to the bars. Such a bike may look long and low to people with normal proportions but to you this bike would be just long-enough and an appropriate height.
Also, look for a steep seat tube angle, above 73.5 because your short legs want the saddle more forward.

I've got similar disproportions, and these are the things I look at.

Last edited by sparky33; 05-05-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
I bet the current wave of so-called endurance frames will not be long enough for you, relative to your saddle height. Instead, go for a larger normal (not-endurance) road frame to maintain still moderate stack relative to your low saddle while keeping the long reach to the bars. Such a bike may look long and low to people with normal proportions but to you this bike would be just long-enough and an appropriate height.
Also, look for a steep seat tube angle, above 73.5 because your short legs want the saddle more forward.

I've got similar disproportions, and these are the things I look at.
I would agree with this and will rephrase it in my own words/perspective. 1st, I have similar, but not quite as extreme proportions. Endurance frames are the opposite of what we need. They get proportionally taller for the legs and shorter for the reach, so more for long legged short torso or at best normal legs but preferring upright, less reach position. You are neither. You should get a normal racing geometry frame and pay attention to what sparky said about sta.

In other words, ignore the top tube for now and find a frame that you can straddle, probably in the 52-54 range, that puts the bars at the height you need. I would think that most 55s would yield a buried seatpost, not handle as well, be generally ugly and a pain in the crotch unless it's an extremely sloping top tube. plus the bigger bikes tend to start kicking back the sta. A 52, on the other hand, might put the bars too low, but remember you are already low based on the short legs setting your saddle low, so there will not be a big drop from saddle to bar. I would try a 53-54 and bet it is right with a reasonably long stem. I'm 1.75m with 79.5-80cm inseam and ride a 52 with a 11-13 stem depending on top tube and sta. (Remember a 53.5cm top tube fits longer on the steep sta often found on smaller bikes). some bike shop guys will hesitate putting you on a small frame because they will look at your height and say "no way" he fits on a 53-54, thinking it is crazy aggressive, but it's really not.

edit addition: that Merckx, while a beautiful bike, would be comically too big

Last edited by giordana93; 05-06-2017 at 12:16 AM. Reason: addendum
Old 05-07-2017, 02:54 AM

Thanks everyone for the input.

I currently ride a Specialized Roubaix in 56, but I feel the guy who sold it to me didn't properly size/fit me, just asking me to hop on the bike in a riding position, and check my legs and arms...

Today I went to a pro fitter and paid for a proper measurement, and these are my stats:

Height: 178cm
Crotch height: 83.5cm
Femor: 45cm
Trunk: 61.6cm
Arm: 64.9cm

And the fitter suggested Wilier Cento1 SR in size L, with the following measurements:

Previously I was considering this one in size L:

Would love to hear your thoughts between the two.

Last edited by cyan; 05-07-2017 at 04:53 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:32 PM

Long Torso

Cyan- What is your saddle height?
What is your ideal drop from saddle to bars?
What it comes down to is:
1.) Can you make a larger stock bike work?
2.) Can you make a smaller stock bike work?
3.) Can you just ride a normal sized bike because you don't really stretch out and express a long position?

Quote:

Thanks.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:35 PM

I'm sort of in the same camp as far as proportions go.

My two cents: focus on seat tube angle first. Seat tube angle plays a large part of governing your pedaling efficiency and weight distribution.

I'm guessing that you're probably going to need something like a 73.5- or even 74-degree seat tube angle, depending on the setback, if any, of your preferred seatpost.

And then, because you don't need an aggressive race position then you should look at "touring" geometries with tall head tubes. These are compact geometries.

I think that a 58cm effective top tube would be too long for someone your size, but you could probably make it work, depending on your fitness and your other components such as stem length and handlebar reach.

Look at frames like the Specialized AWOL or Sequoia. Before I get flamed: I'm not saying you have to get those frames, obviously. Just giving you a sense of the look of the frame that sounds like what you're describing.

You want to figure out your contact points and posture first, and then frame features next.

Quote:

Thanks.