Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 06-29-2016, 07:19 PM

Long legs on a production frame?

Just wondering if anyone with super long legs has achieved a great fit on a production frame!
I have 92cm inseam an i'm about 184 cm high.
Let me know!
Old 07-02-2016, 02:15 PM

My legs are longer than yours (although I am taller). I've never found a bike that I've not been able to make fit. The last production frame I had was a CAAD 8; fit well. Although my saddle to bar drop was about 16cm! I could probably have gone a size up and used a shorter than the 140mm stem I had fitted. But normally, long legs means long arms and a short torso, so a smaller size with a longer stem tends to ride a bit nicer IMO
Old 07-02-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaAndBikes View Post
Just wondering if anyone with super long legs has achieved a great fit on a production frame!
I have 92cm inseam an i'm about 184 cm high.
Let me know!
yes. im @ 91cm inseam and 185cm height -- based on my flexibility and position, it is totally no problem using many stock frame geos.

fwiw...my position tends towards the longer/lower end of the spectrum: 81cm saddle height, 9cm saddle setback, ~12cm bar drop, ~60cm bar reach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroon View Post
...a smaller size with a longer stem tends to ride a bit nicer IMO
agree completely, and looks nicer too!

Last edited by wallymann; 07-02-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:33 PM

Old 07-02-2016, 02:38 PM

My number stack up quite similar to Wallymans; just longer everywhere since I'm 189.5cm tall.

Saddle height 83.5cm; setback not sure, but over 10cm I'd imagine, saddle bar reach 63cm
Old 07-13-2016, 11:33 AM

I'm in the same boat, though shorter than you guys. (175/83) It took me a while to figure out that the trick to getting a great fit on a stock bike is to *size for your torso*, not your legs, which effectively means ignoring the manufacturer's "size" and going by "effective top-tube length" and seat tube angle.

After all, seat height is the most easily adjusted metric on a frame, but adjusting for torso length is harder and can impact handling if too extreme. (an 80mm stem can make a bike really twitchy!)

Most bike shops will put you on a frame based on height alone, and for us long-legged beasties, that means we end up with a bike a size too large. This lesson I learned when I was even more of a noob than I am now, after being told a 54 "was my size" over and over, and never being able to get comfortable. When I was shopping for new bike, nothing felt right until I started trying 52s, and suddenly it all felt right! (I did need to swap up to a 100mm stem from the stock 90mm, tho.)

The height = bike size reflex is so deeply ingrained that when I went for my first bike fitting, the guy kept shaking his head and saying "that bike is so small! I'm only a little taller than you, and I ride a 56! And then we stood side-by-side to measure, and my hipbone came up to his navel! In the end, all that needed to be changed on the bike was wider bars and that 10mm longer stem.

One last thing: I would try to steer clear of brands that only have only Sm/med/lg sizes, as often you'll find yourself stuck between a frame that is much too small and much too large. I just had this problem buying a fat bike. I opted to go for the medium rather than the small, because the small was more like 2 sizes smaller, not one size, and would have required a stem 40mm longer, which is almost triple the length of the stem it came with! The medium was only ~1 size too large, and putting a 0 offset seat post took care of it. (Size for a fatbike isn't quite as critical as for a roadie; I'm not going to be doing grand fondos on it, after all!) Didn't want to go for a different brand , because the fat bike in question was too good a package at too good a price to pass up. (a Scott Big Jon for 30% off!)

So that's my secret to getting a great fit on a stock bike. Hope this helps!
Old 07-13-2016, 03:54 PM
It's Terminal.

177cm tall
88cm inseam

I ride customs because I had lots of trouble finding something that would fit and actually handle properly

best option for me was finding bikes with a more touring fit and slamming the stem on them. Most other bikes handled funny, though I have quite a bit of drop (or I used to until my crash)

I had a specialized tarmac that fit alright
and a colnago cross bike that was great too
cxatpq by MilBikes, on Flickr

the tarmac was alright. I moved up and down 1-2 spacers depending on what part of the year (and where my fitness/flexibility I was in)

you can make a stock bike work for you, but make sure the wheelbase isn't too short for your saddle height otherwise you'll feel like you're riding a child's bike, and it will be scary descending (my experience subjectively)

current bike:

much happier on this one than anything else. It's awesome and first day out I was setting PR on my local descents without even really trying to gun it.

and me doing a stoppie on my cross bike for comparison/demo of limb length. I'm 5'9 for you imperial unit folk

you can probably make a stock frame work. I was fine on an Orbea Orca for reach/stack. Some frames just didn't work, like my marin stelvio where neither the 54, 56, nor 58 fit right and handled properly.

Last edited by CheshireCat; 07-13-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:46 PM

185cm with a 90cm inseam and decent flexibility. Bought my first road bike 2 yrs ago and the shop put me on a frame that was a bit large based on my height alone. Since then I have had a proper fit and this year have a new frame based on the fitters sizing. The frame is a 54s Colnago (385mm reach), 110mm stem (not slammed haha!), compact bars (79mm reach). Feels great.

Last edited by adub; 07-13-2016 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:25 AM

Interesting discussion. I am not as leggy as most of you but perhaps a bit more than average. I am about 6’0” (182.88 for your metric minded folks) with a 33.75 inseam (85.725).

I like to be behind the pedals and this has caused some consideration for STA and TT length.

I can certainly fit a stock bike but when the STA gets passed 73 I have to go to great lengths to get back far enough (seat posts of 30-35mm setback.)

I also like a shorter reach (this took me some time to realize). So a square bike works or even one with a shorter top tube.

Like you guys a smaller bike can work well. You and up just being all over the thing but sized correctly with a good distribution of weight.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post
185cm with a 90cm inseam and decent flexibility. Bought my first road bike 2 yrs ago and the shop put me on a frame that was a bit large based on my height alone. Since then I have had a proper fit and this year have a new frame based on the fitters sizing. The frame is a 54s Colnago (385mm reach), 110mm stem (not slammed haha!), compact bars (79mm reach). Feels great.
Yeah that is darn small
Old 07-14-2016, 10:28 AM

I agree with what a lot of the posters are saying here, typically the best plan is to get a bike with the appropriate frame size for your torso and then deal with the saddle height, bar drop, etc.

I also find that, when using a stock frame, it makes sense to rotate what would be considered a "conventional" position (i.e. KOPS) around the bottom bracket - this sorts out weight distribution, allows for great drop and generally makes life easier, although it may look a little odd (think Adam Hansen here).

This is from someone 185cm tall with 95cm inseam...
Old 07-14-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
Yeah that is darn small
56.5 ETT, no that small.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:41 PM

No i missed that. That is about right for me too.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:22 PM

I don't have super long legs, but have the long legs/short torso issue.
I've had great luck with a Serotta HSG with Performance Geometry.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
This is from someone 185cm tall with 95cm inseam...
I also assume i'm not alone looking weird whenever i wear pants with a tucked in shirt!