Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Builder Spotlights

Old 04-17-2013, 09:22 AM

Whoa, cool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3722074...7633263379121/

I hope this is well received, it is a tasty looking frame.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:09 PM

Blogging history.

I started a series of blog posts this morning that gives a bit of the behind the scenes history as well and the highlights and lowlights of the past ten years. Check it out if you have a few free minutes -

http://www.kirkframeworks.com/blog/

Thanks for looking.

dave
Old 04-23-2013, 04:55 PM

Congrats on making it to 10.

Apologies if you've answered this before, how many frames have you under your own name in those 10 years?

BTW, still loving my JKS. I'm having a hard time not sending you another deposit to build me something like the dirt road bike you built for sparky33.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clalor View Post
Congrats on making it to 10.

Apologies if you've answered this before, how many frames have you under your own name in those 10 years?

BTW, still loving my JKS. I'm having a hard time not sending you another deposit to build me something like the dirt road bike you built for sparky33.
Hey - thanks for the comment/question.

I've never totaled them up but I average about 40 a year so 400ish is a good guess.

Let me know on the dirt road bike. Those are becoming a favorite of mine and it would be fun to make one for you.

Thanks again,

Dave
Old 04-24-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clalor View Post
You and me are in the same boat on both points. Forced myself not to send Dave an email just yesterday on the topic of a dirt road bike. Going to *try* to keep my gravel rig on the budget side of things, but my JKS-C rides sooooo darned nice I can't help but consider the idea.

Dave, really hoping to make it up to the 10th anniversary celebration in September. Hope you have a few roads around those beautiful mountains you're surrounded by that won't kill a poor flat lander like myself.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuda2k View Post
You and me are in the same boat on both points. Forced myself not to send Dave an email just yesterday on the topic of a dirt road bike. Going to *try* to keep my gravel rig on the budget side of things, but my JKS-C rides sooooo darned nice I can't help but consider the idea.
Worse for me, I don't even have enough gravel roads around me to justify it! Doesn't keep me from wanting one though...
Old 04-24-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuda2k View Post

Dave, really hoping to make it up to the 10th anniversary celebration in September. Hope you have a few roads around those beautiful mountains you're surrounded by that won't kill a poor flat lander like myself.
Cool - the roads will be varied so no worries.

We'll leave the light on for ya.

dave
Old 04-25-2013, 08:04 AM

Dave,
Just ran across this thread...excellent reading. A couple of things.

1. Thank you for confirming that the riding here in CNY is exceptional. I can't count the number of times I've receieved incredulous stares when I've told people that I prefer the riding around here in Oneida/Madison county to virtually anyplace I've ridden in the U.S. If Quaker hill only didn't have a stop sign at the bottom...

2. You mentioned you ride a bike with a lot of BB drop in Bozeman but would prefer something a bit higher for CNY. How big of a change would you think would be necessary/preferable?

Thanks,
wayne
Old 04-25-2013, 10:27 AM

Hey Wayne -

Thanks for the note. Do you live in the Rome area? Do we know each other? It's been too long since I've been in the area and been able to ride my favorite hills.

I used to do a shortish ride from my house that went up and down the plateau - Podunk Hill, Stokes Hill, Sly Hill, Quaker Hill, and then across Westernville to cap it off with Gifford Hill and then down Townline road. What a great ride.

I did a road race once that went down Quaker Hill - talk about sketchy. Man the view from the top of Quaker was good - good enough to climb it!

I think if I were riding back in CNY again I'd raise my BB by 5-7 mm give or take. This would allow pedaling deeper into the curve/corner and sooner coming out of it. Even roads like Quaker have curves tight enough that the higher BB would help. It's a non-issue here in Bozeman of course but the riding here and there is MUCH different.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
Dave,
Just ran across this thread...excellent reading. A couple of things.

1. Thank you for confirming that the riding here in CNY is exceptional. I can't count the number of times I've receieved incredulous stares when I've told people that I prefer the riding around here in Oneida/Madison county to virtually anyplace I've ridden in the U.S. If Quaker hill only didn't have a stop sign at the bottom...

2. You mentioned you ride a bike with a lot of BB drop in Bozeman but would prefer something a bit higher for CNY. How big of a change would you think would be necessary/preferable?

Thanks,
wayne
Old 04-25-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
Hey Wayne -

Thanks for the note. Do you live in the Rome area? Do we know each other? It's been too long since I've been in the area and been able to ride my favorite hills.

I used to do a shortish ride from my house that went up and down the plateau - Podunk Hill, Stokes Hill, Sly Hill, Quaker Hill, and then across Westernville to cap it off with Gifford Hill and then down Townline road. What a great ride.

I did a road race once that went down Quaker Hill - talk about sketchy. Man the view from the top of Quaker was good - good enough to climb it!

I think if I were riding back in CNY again I'd raise my BB by 5-7 mm give or take. This would allow pedaling deeper into the curve/corner and sooner coming out of it. Even roads like Quaker have curves tight enough that the higher BB would help. It's a non-issue here in Bozeman of course but the riding here and there is MUCH different.

Dave
Dave,
Thanks for the reply. No we don't know each other but I think we have some friends in common (Tope, Rich K.). I actually grew up in Verona, but work in Rome. While I've done all of those hills at some point or another the thought of doing them all in the course of a single ride sounds like a terrible idea

Sorry for the thread drift, but I've been thinking more and more about the handling of the different bikes I've had and why I prefer some to others. Your comment about our local terrain and bb drop got me thinking...maybe i'll take the CX bike up to Starr Hill to compare and contrast...

-w
Old 04-25-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
Dave,
Thanks for the reply. No we don't know each other but I think we have some friends in common (Tope, Rich K.). I actually grew up in Verona, but work in Rome. While I've done all of those hills at some point or another the thought of doing them all in the course of a single ride sounds like a terrible idea

Sorry for the thread drift, but I've been thinking more and more about the handling of the different bikes I've had and why I prefer some to others. Your comment about our local terrain and bb drop got me thinking...maybe i'll take the CX bike up to Starr Hill to compare and contrast...

-w
Cool - give my best to Rich and Tope if you see them.

dave
Old 04-26-2013, 11:22 AM

Just a quick heads up for those looking for a diversion during your work day - Karin updated our photo galleries yesterday with a number of new bikes. You'll also note that the old galleries are still available and the link can be found at the bottom of the page.

Thanks for looking -

Dave

http://www.kirkframeworks.com/galleries.htm
Old 04-29-2013, 03:18 PM

Ten Years - part two.

Dave

http://www.kirkframeworks.com/blog/
Old 04-29-2013, 04:50 PM

Dave, feel free not to comment on this as it relates to a client, but do you know if frame #3 still out there being ridden?
Old 04-29-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Dave, feel free not to comment on this as it relates to a client, but do you know if frame #3 still out there being ridden?
I honestly can't say for sure. I assume and hope it's still out there being ridden. I know that the original owner sold it on and after that I have no idea.

Maybe the owner is one of 'us' and can comment.

dave