Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-01-2021, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Exceptional comfort yet lively and responsive.

It looks sooooo sick!
Old 02-01-2021, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millses View Post
It looks sooooo sick!
That black>white paint job is tough to beat.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:12 PM

If you can't find a 585, have one built for you

My beloved 585 was stolen a few years ago, so once my insurance settlement arrived, I talked to Steve Hampsten. He'd made me a steel Strada Bianca previously that I really liked. That bike placed a priority on comfort and stability. I wanted something a bit sportier and fabricated in carbon fiber for my 585 replacement. I sent Steve the Look geo chart and asked him to build me a frame that utilized the contact points from the Strada Bianca with the geometry of the 585. The result is the Maglia Rosa you see attached. It's a great riding bike, maybe just a bit more compliant over the less than ideal Tucson roadways but with the same crisp handling and acceleration that made the 585 such a pleasure to ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0215.jpg (79.0 KB, 212 views)
Old 02-01-2021, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
My beloved 585 was stolen a few years ago, so once my insurance settlement arrived, I talked to Steve Hampsten. He'd made me a steel Strada Bianca previously that I really liked. That bike placed a priority on comfort and stability. I wanted something a bit sportier and fabricated in carbon fiber for my 585 replacement. I sent Steve the Look geo chart and asked him to build me a frame that utilized the contact points from the Strada Bianca with the geometry of the 585. The result is the Maglia Rosa you see attached. It's a great riding bike, maybe just a bit more compliant over the less than ideal Tucson roadways but with the same crisp handling and acceleration that made the 585 such a pleasure to ride.
Very handsome steed and a custom fit is pure luxury. I momentarily forgot the smaller 585 frames had those sloping top tubes.
Old 01-09-2024, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallymann View Post
i put these all in the same category -- basically the pinnacle of "classic" lugged CF construction from the mid naughts, including in no particular order:
  • look 585/595
  • time VXS/VXRS
  • cervelo R2.5
  • fondriest TF1
  • colnago C40/C50

This minus the cervelo, sub for calfee luna pro
Old 01-09-2024, 07:15 PM

Nothing to add here except that I think I'm finished* with this one and want to show it to someone.

I can't quite decide if it's a little too big for me or not, so I'll keep testing.

It's a very sexy bike in my opinion, and I really like the first couple of rides I've had.

The final touches came via the head tube cable guides provided by axel23 - thank you.

---

* well, you know.

Last edited by feynman; 01-10-2024 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-09-2024, 09:04 PM

Drool

Quote:
Originally Posted by feynman View Post
Nothing to add here except that I think I'm finished* with this one and want to show it to someone.

I can't quite decide if it's a little too big for me or not, so I'll keep testing.

It's a very sexy bike in my opinion, and I really like the first couple of rides I've had.

---

* well, you know.

Old 01-09-2024, 11:09 PM

Quote:

---

* well, you know.

Magnificent
Old 01-10-2024, 10:58 AM

Quote:

I always wanted the White 585 ever since Team Credit Agricole first had it.

But I loved my Black nude finish too I wish I kept it but I was moving across the globe at the time

Awesome in 2005 & still a sought after bike today...That is saying something
Old 01-10-2024, 11:13 AM

Not too big. Not too small. Just right!
And yes, the cable guides complete the bike.

Quote:

The final touches came via the head tube cable guides provided by axel23 - thank you.

---

* well, you know.

Old 01-10-2024, 01:47 PM
50 bpm

Like all 585s, it's dreamy.

Ride it like you stole it.
Old 01-26-2024, 05:17 PM

Alright, still trying to come to terms with the right size 585.

I just took measurements by hand from my 2004 C40 I love since I couldn't find the stack and reach online anywhere. I got a stack of 549 and a reach of 400. I just used a level and yardstick to measure as best I could by myself.
Seat tube CTC 546 Top Tube effective 558

Then I measured by favorite classic steel bike that feels better than anything else under me on the road. Giordana XL Super

Stack 558, Reach 378, seat tube CTC 558, top tube CTC 558

Look 585 L specs Stack 558, Reach 397 (off internet research) seat tube 550 CTC, Top Tube 560 Effective

So...doesn't this sound like a Large 585 is the right frame for me or am I completely misunderstanding this?
Old 01-26-2024, 05:56 PM

yes, the TT is 2mm longer on the LOOK. Nothing.
Old 02-16-2024, 08:53 PM

Managed to pick up this nice example of a 585 Ultra off Facebook Marketplace in Australia for $350 AUD ($230 USD) - I've been eyeing off one for a while so thought I'd take the plunge. A size large - I'd typically ride a medium - but after doing some fit adjustments it seems pretty fine to me.

Ignore the periscope - looking to get sizing right first before chopping the fork down.

The main issue I have to begin with is that there's no bottom bracket BB guide - it's been replaced with the Shimano 7970 Di2 cable guide - but I'd like to convert it back to mechanical shifting. All the other mechanical cable guides still seem to be there, it's just the BB one that's missing. Anyone know if there's an alternative to the Look one that might fit?
Old 02-16-2024, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisinberry777 View Post
Managed to pick up this nice example of a 585 Ultra off Facebook Marketplace in Australia for $350 AUD ($230 USD) - I've been eyeing off one for a while so thought I'd take the plunge. A size large - I'd typically ride a medium - but after doing some fit adjustments it seems pretty fine to me.

Ignore the periscope - looking to get sizing right first before chopping the fork down.

The main issue I have to begin with is that there's no bottom bracket BB guide - it's been replaced with the Shimano 7970 Di2 cable guide - but I'd like to convert it back to mechanical shifting. All the other mechanical cable guides still seem to be there, it's just the BB one that's missing. Anyone know if there's an alternative to the Look one that might fit?

smokin deal! even compared to the one i just posted in the PSA thread which i thought was a nice deal. congrats.

be nice to hear how you get on with it.