Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-22-2017, 11:39 PM
doomsday device

does anyone know what the reach of 10s era campag brakes?

I've read that the 10S brakes had a longer reach than 11s era / skeleton style - hoping that someone here has firsthand knowledge of whether the 10s brakes could work with a 32mm tire.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:58 AM

It's usually not a question of reach but of clearance. Distance to the rim doesn't change when you put a larger tire on.

For there to be enough clearance, the frame and fork would have to been built to mount the brake fairly high so you'd be using the bottom range of the brake pad mounting slots. If not, the tire will rub the frame or the center of the caliper.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:26 AM

Quote:
I've read that the 10S brakes had a longer reach than 11s era / skeleton style - hoping that someone here has firsthand knowledge of whether the 10s brakes could work with a 32mm tire.
There was some discussion of this here.

I can ride Challenge 700x30s on my early-80s Ciocc using Chorus brakes with solid arms, plenty of room. Switched to skeletons, and the back won't clear. I can't tell you the exact vintages of these brakes, but presumably the skeletons are later.

However:

Quote:
For there to be enough clearance, the frame and fork would have to been built to mount the brake fairly high so you'd be using the bottom range of the brake pad mounting slots...
That's really the deciding factor. Fairly few bikes will do what mine does; most will fit a given tire, or won't fit it, with any brake.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:17 PM

Reach on the ten speed dual pivots varies with year and group. The ones with the most reach are circa 2005 Centaur and lower, listed as 42-52 mm. Early ten speed Chorus and Record are listed as 39-50 mm. Most skeletons and "D" calipers are listed as 40-50 mm.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:20 PM
aka RAEKWON

I had chorus (silver non skeleton) with large 28mm tires and still enough clearance so they have at least the same clearance as skeletons (which apparently are not all made the same because some clear bigger tires)