Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2021, 08:36 AM

Has Specialized achieved something really specialized in the Aethos?

This past week I have been complelled to think about the Aethos. I have not ridden one. But I am a bit taken by the Specialized propaganda machine. Specialized claims to have achieved two things in this bike, both extremely important to me; 1. great ride quality, and, 2. extremely low weight of 585 g for a size 56. Think about this. 585 g! For a disc brake bike.

The low weight can be verified. And I am hoping that there is no propaganda here. But the ride quality? I mean, people swoon over a Colnago, or a Crumpton. But who waxes poetic upon stradling one Aethos? Or maybe Specialized has indeed turned a leaf and is now in the company of bikes renowned for their ride quality?

Lastly, $5500 for a Aethos frameset is very high. If one were to spend something along these line, why not get something boutique? Crumpton, Pursuit, Argonaut, Bastion etc. come to mind. But wait, from there websites, it seems none of them can acheive a low weight of 585 g.

So, I ask again, has Specialized achieved something really specialized in the Aethos? Who here has ridden one and would care to wax poetic?

Last edited by nmrt; 03-29-2021 at 07:40 PM. Reason: typos
Old 03-06-2021, 09:08 AM

2023 availability

That's quite an achievement
Old 03-06-2021, 09:09 AM

Does it fit? Least with those you mention as well as Alchemy and Parlee you can get made to measure in color you want, making one self happier down the road.

One would think, 585gm chassis would be bit susceptible to a break if dropped or even leaned against something inappropriately
Old 03-06-2021, 09:16 AM

The frame has a good warranty and is about as light as it gets. Apparently it rides really well but it sounds like some people prefer the racier but heavier SL7. I haven’t ridden one but I can’t imagine there’s anything super magical about it. It is nice that it has an English BB (though some people on the internet complain that it’s heavier and “less stiff” than press fit. I’d check out some of the discussion on weightweenies about them if you’re really interested.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:32 AM

The point about getting something custom for the same money is the most salient to me. If I’m gonna spend this amount for a CF frame it might as well fit and be in a color way that I like. Bonus is it won’t say Specialized or S-works on the down tube. The one bike I’ve owned from them (SL6) was fantastic but I’m still not a fan of all the hype. If you wanna sell lots of bikes at a premium it’s what you do but just not my jam.

For me, the weight isn’t that meaningful relative to what a custom would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2021, 10:01 AM

Has Specialized achieved something really specialized in the Atheos?

Not to derail thread, but I think a similar question could be asked about the Open M.ind. At least one reviewer, Jan Heine, reportedly loved the ride. I haven’t ridden one or seen the review. I know the M.ind is a bit heavier and has a less robust warranty—but both are expensive road framesets with what seems like similar ride quality design goals.

Both the Atheos and M.ind are the sort of CFRB I would love to try and hear more about from Paceliners who own them.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
The point about getting something custom for the same money is the most salient to me. If I’m gonna spend this amount for a CF frame it might as well fit and be in a color way that I like. Bonus is it won’t say Specialized or S-works on the down tube. The one bike I’ve owned from them (SL6) was fantastic but I’m still not a fan of all the hype. If you wanna sell lots of bikes at a premium it’s what you do but just not my jam.

For me, the weight isn’t that meaningful relative to what a custom would be.

The aethos literally doesn’t say specialized or s-works on the downtube.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:08 AM

I ride one daily. Have ridden Speedvagen, Canyon, & Allied prior. Its an excellent ride, I enjoy it far more than any previous bike. I won't wax poetic but it is truly an excellent bike. The weight is obviously noticeable on climbs but the bike quite frankly shines best in technical descents. Its planted, confidence inspiring, and just provides excellent handling and control. I love mine and would say it is head and shoulder better than previous bikes.

Additionally, if aesthetics matters...it is special in that regard too IMO. The frame shape is classic, the paint (and branding) is understated but incredible in the sun, and I enjoy the fact that almost no one has recognized what it is. It's not just another tarmac or venge.

Last edited by CKT88; 03-08-2021 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKT88 View Post
I ride one daily. Have ridden Speedvagen, Canyon, & Allied prior. Its an excellent ride, I enjoy it far more than any previous bike. I won't wax poetic but it is truly an excellent bike. The weight is obviously noticeable on climbs but the bike quite frankly shines best in technical descents. Its planted, confidence inspiring, and just provides excellent handling and control. I love mine and would say it is head and shoulder better than previous bikes.

Additionally, if aesthetics matters...it is special in that regard too IMO. The frame shape is classic, the paint (and branding) is understated but incredible in the sun, and I enjoy the fact that almost no one has recognized what it is. It's not just another tarmac or venge.

Also, the marketing is focused on breaking the rules and not racing...blah blah blah. I plan to race and train for performance. Happy to answer any specific questions.
For the visually inclined

Last edited by CKT88; 03-08-2021 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:19 AM

The weight you cite is for a nearly unpainted version. Recognizing I'm not directly answering your question, the 2013-2015 Cannondale SuperSix Evo Black Inc frameset (including fork), made with nano tube carbon fiber, weighs essentially the same as Aethos frameset. The Black Inc, in my opinion, handles and rides beautifully. (I sold the 585 ) Granted, the Black Inc is rim brake (which saves further weight vs discs), yet it can still fit 28mm tires.

I don't really see the miracle of the Aethos, unless it's that it's a disc brake bike.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:21 AM

I imagine it is a bit flexier than specialize’s racier models. Perhaps it planes?

I would love to ride one
Old 03-06-2021, 10:27 AM

I just don't trust anything that light especially if it was made in China. I have seen too many Treks, Cervelos, Pinarellos, you name it, with everything from hairline cracks to catastrophic failures.
The summer before last a local guy was left quadriplegic by a crash that was the result of a catastrophic failure of the rear triangle of a bike in front of him.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
extremely low weight of 585 g for a size 56. Think about this. 585 g! For a disc brake bike......
Lastly, $5500 for a Atheos frameset is very high.
It is not that I am a retro grouch
but honestly I DO NOT want a 586 gram frame thanks

This ^ from an old weight weenie who has owned 13lb bikes

These days I am more than happy with a bike that weighs more but worries me less.
I am never going to be one of the "Is this a crack in my frame" posts

Price? heheh Yeah I'm not even going there

That aside I am sure they will sell every frame they make
Old 03-06-2021, 10:33 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Lavi has one , no?

Maybe he'll chime in...
Old 03-06-2021, 10:36 AM

no dog in the hunt

but so much here is subjective...except for the actual weight which you can see on a scale. i bet it rides great but how much greater than any other relatively expensive, high end carbon either custom or production?

i would guess if any company can optimize it would be one of the biggies as compared to bespoke. if you put big bucks into either you most likely won't have anything to compare it to and you will for sure talk yourself into loving it after you lighten your wallet by whatever amount.

the ability of the biggies to do r & d i am sure dwarfs anything a small custom builder can do. but there is beauty and relationship and fit in custom that Mike Sinyard is unlikely to provide.

i hear you only live once and why not enjoy life in a way that puts a smile on your face?