Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-05-2021, 05:36 PM
v a n i l l a

I would not consider accommodating electric shifting without trying it first.

Same with discs.

You may like it you may not. That's fine. But try it first before building it into the design.
Old 03-05-2021, 05:39 PM

So just a thing to think about since you mentioned it being steel frame. Is the bottom bracket have enough room to fit the junction box inside of it. Maybe I'm thinking of traditional steel frame bikes but it would need some larger enough space down there to fit the cables going from seatpost battery to BB, shifters down through the down tube and rear D through the chain stay. Just be weary, I converted a Foundry Camrock from Sram mech to ultegra Di2/GRX and even though it had the compatibility, the fit was SNUG for the junction box and cables. Almost didn't believe I could shove all the wires in there. That said maybe Sram force would be the way to go.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffreychin08 View Post
So just a thing to think about since you mentioned it being steel frame. Is the bottom bracket have enough room to fit the junction box inside of it. Maybe I'm thinking of traditional steel frame bikes but it would need some larger enough space down there to fit the cables going from seatpost battery to BB, shifters down through the down tube and rear D through the chain stay. Just be weary, I converted a Foundry Camrock from Sram mech to ultegra Di2/GRX and even though it had the compatibility, the fit was SNUG for the junction box and cables. Almost didn't believe I could shove all the wires in there. That said maybe Sram force would be the way to go.
Yes, the builder is a pro, and has done many bikes of this type, so I assume that this is all worked out should I choose Di2.

And Paul, yes, I think trying Di2 is the best thing to do. My colleague at work has some insane Cannondale Dura Ace rig that is a size too small, but will do for purposes of trying it. I have ridden once for a few hours and was hung up on the novelty of it, but no doubt, it worked great. I cant decide if I am existentially meant to use electric shifting though. Discs are a definite yes. I have used them for years.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffreychin08 View Post
So just a thing to think about since you mentioned it being steel frame. Is the bottom bracket have enough room to fit the junction box inside of it.
I have a "traditional" steel frame and there's plenty of room with Hollowtech II cranks. You don't need room for the junction in the bottom bracket (which is very small!), just a few etube wires. The junction fits fine in any main tube. It's shoved in the seat tube above the BB in my build. It would be equally at home in the downtube. Going sram you don't need anything inside the frame (though I very strongly prefer di2). More pics here if you care- https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=265081

Old 03-05-2021, 06:48 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
Yes, the builder is a pro, and has done many bikes of this type, so I assume that this is all worked out should I choose Di2.

And Paul, yes, I think trying Di2 is the best thing to do. My colleague at work has some insane Cannondale Dura Ace rig that is a size too small, but will do for purposes of trying it. I have ridden once for a few hours and was hung up on the novelty of it, but no doubt, it worked great. I cant decide if I am existentially meant to use electric shifting though. Discs are a definite yes. I have used them for years.
My cannondale is 9120 so DA mech with hydro discs. It works GREAT. I like the all weather nature of the discs and the hand pressure/modulation is one finger, which is nice doing that last downhill after a long day out.

The mech shfiting is fantastic, so much so it makes me wonder why go electric even though I love electric.

of the two I would NOT give up the discs but I could be convinced to stay mech and not go E.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
My cannondale is 9120 so DA mech with hydro discs. It works GREAT. I like the all weather nature of the discs and the hand pressure/modulation is one finger, which is nice doing that last downhill after a long day out.

The mech shfiting is fantastic, so much so it makes me wonder why go electric even though I love electric.

of the two I would NOT give up the discs but I could be convinced to stay mech and not go E.
Same groupset here. Strongly considering "downgrading" to Ultegra so I can go di2. I know it's not for everyone but it's definitely for me. Especially with hydro, I think the hoods are a much better shape for di2. Agree that it'd be easier for me to stay mechanical than to go back to rim brakes though.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:40 PM
v a n i l l a

I get that notion of losing some of the tactile interaction with the bike if using electrons. But, for me, it is really really nice using electrons!

I am NOT a fan of configuring the frame to take any of the four configurations.
- mech, rim
- mech, hydro
- electric, rim
- electric, hydro

pick one, be done.

The biggest unknown is how will 12sp shimano Di2 be implemented?
Old 03-05-2021, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
I get that notion of losing some of the tactile interaction with the bike if using electrons. But, for me, it is really really nice using electrons!

I am NOT a fan of configuring the frame to take any of the four configurations.
- mech, rim
- mech, hydro
- electric, rim
- electric, hydro

pick one, be done.

The biggest unknown is how will 12sp shimano Di2 be implemented?

Not sure what this means? Aren’t those the four available options that one could work with? I am missing what this means...
Old 03-06-2021, 12:23 AM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Not sure what this means? Aren’t those the four available options that one could work with? I am missing what this means...

Yes those are the four choices. I’m saying pick one configuration and build your dream to that period. No Swiss Army knife
Old 03-06-2021, 06:16 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDi2 View Post
Di2 is moving to a semi wireless system, so maybe that makes things easier for you?
Nothing is 100% sure, but it seems to be wireless shifters, wired rear/front derailleurs to just the battery (in the seatpost).
That's speculation BUT..still need a way to 'stop' the front and rear der, as in a cable stop or use full length der housing for the rear(and front).

I suppose a frame maker could make a frame with downtube or head tube cable stops and a cable stop at the rear der for mechanical and also 'ports' for the Di2/EPS wires.

BTW-frame makers really like wired setups and REALLY like etap..cheaper to build. Unfortunately, that $ savings not passed onto the consumer.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
That's speculation BUT..still need a way to 'stop' the front and rear der, as in a cable stop or use full length der housing for the rear(and front).

I suppose a frame maker could make a frame with downtube or head tube cable stops and a cable stop at the rear der for mechanical and also 'ports' for the Di2/EPS wires.

BTW-frame makers really like wired setups and REALLY like etap..cheaper to build. Unfortunately, that $ savings not passed onto the consumer.
Good point . If the Derailleurs we mech, they need to stop against something.

Thanks Paul - I know what you mean, the Swiss Army version leaves too many useless doodads on the bike...
Old 03-06-2021, 10:46 AM

The cleanest way is SRAM wireless. No holes and no stops. Oh, and no junction boxes/controller to mount either.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:55 AM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Thanks Paul - I know what you mean, the Swiss Army version leaves too many useless doodads on the bike...
In theory, sure, leave all options open. but in practice, not many people would really change group incarnations perhaps even more than once on their ride. we get what we get, adapt and are happy.

I dont think you need to spend hours riding electric to decide. you either try it like it want it or try it like it indifferent or try it don't like it.

the last two point to mech. DA mech/dis or Campy mech/disc would be pretty great choices.