Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfifty View Post
maybe try yerba mate?
Those Yerba Mate energy drinks are my go-to if I'm seriously wavering on a long ride - caffeine and sugar, but less nasty stuff that the other energy drink variants..

I also like it in its natural leaf form.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Coffee has nothing to do with fueling my cycling but if it does for you maybe you need some of this...

Thanks for the tip. I don’t function very well without a really strong cup of coffee. I need it. I definitely have an addiction. But there are worse vices in life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 40E52B24-EC80-4ECB-BC2D-1F2E4CB5C29E.jpeg (16.5 KB, 162 views)
Old 03-04-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Thanks for the tip. I don’t function very well without a really strong cup of coffee. I need it. I definitely have an addiction. But there are worse vices in life.
Oh don't get me wrong...I drink plenty and I am on my second cup this morning which happens to be the above mentioned coffee!
Old 03-04-2021, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo62 View Post
After a while, coffee (2 lattes a day, maybe it was the milk...) started giving me serious stomach problems, so I became a tea drinker.

The right stuff:
YAASSS!! Once you try a good pu'erh, no other tea will do.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:34 PM

For green tea, my go-to is Yama-moto-yama. Just a little family business since 1690.

I start my day with one good aero press coffee, then switch to green tea.

Love them both, never giving up either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2021, 12:05 AM

I hate the smell of coffee. My grandfather said that the male ancestors in our line didn't drink coffee even though he and my dad did. The only time I ever drank it was the summer when I was nine years old, recovering from surgery and couldn't swim in the local pool. I had a crush on the teenage girl who ran the "commissary" as it was known for some reason, and I would go in and drink coffee in the hope that she would be impressed by my maturity. Haven't touched a drop of it since 1968, and avoid coming within smelling range of it.

I've been drinking tea as far back as I can remember. Probably started with my grandmother, who used to buy the little square tins of various teas imported by John Wagner, Ivyland PA.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Vintage-...QAAOSwdRdgIB0v
Old 03-05-2021, 05:24 AM

Two cups of coffee in the morning. Extra sugar, no cream.

Maybe sweet tea later in the day, especially in the summer.

So I guess that on some days I'm bicaffeinated. Not that there's anything wrong with that...
Old 03-05-2021, 06:01 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
I enjoyed coffee also...until I got older, and my blood pressure started needing some attention. I didn't see any sense in taking BP meds so I could drink tea and coffee. And that morning coffee can keep your BP elevated for up to half a day.

But still miss that morning mug. I do sometimes mix some half and half with decaf. Not much effect from that.
I hear ya brother.....As a guy where one of his afib 'triggers' is caffeine, I drink a 1:4 mix of caffeinated coffee to decaf(I know, almost(is?) heresy)...but if I'm cold after shoveling my driveway..hard to beat a cup of hot Earl Grey or Black tea. BUT for the flavor, warmth..not the caffeine.

Along with no alcohol, 'no more fun of any kind'.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3rxAXUGVD0

Old 03-05-2021, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartrapper View Post
I've yet to find any tea that comes close to a cup of strong black coffee. Maybe I've just not had the right stuff?
When I was a kid, and probably still, my mom would make a cup of tea and forget about it, distracted by one of us four rotten kids. She’d find it on the counter an hour later, tea bag still in it, microwave it until boiling again, tea bag still in it, and then drink it, tea bag still in it, provided she didn’t forget about it again and start the process over...tea bag still in it. I recall it being pretty strong stuff.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:43 AM

I start my day with a strong cup of Starbucks espresso from my aero press. Then the rest of the day I drink matcha green tea with turmeric.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
When I was a kid, and probably still, my mom would make a cup of tea and forget about it, distracted by one of us four rotten kids. She’d find it on the counter an hour later, tea bag still in it, microwave it until boiling again, tea bag still in it, and then drink it, tea bag still in it, provided she didn’t forget about it again and start the process over...tea bag still in it. I recall it being pretty strong stuff.
She might have needed it to be strong, to keep up with her four...
Old 03-05-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
I hate the smell of coffee. My grandfather said that the male ancestors in our line didn't drink coffee even though he and my dad did. The only time I ever drank it was the summer when I was nine years old, recovering from surgery and couldn't swim in the local pool. I had a crush on the teenage girl who ran the "commissary" as it was known for some reason, and I would go in and drink coffee in the hope that she would be impressed by my maturity. Haven't touched a drop of it since 1968, and avoid coming within smelling range of it.

I've been drinking tea as far back as I can remember. Probably started with my grandmother, who used to buy the little square tins of various teas imported by John Wagner, Ivyland PA.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Vintage-...QAAOSwdRdgIB0v
What a cool story!

Man, if I were to draw up a list of pastimes/hobbies/epicurean stuff I got into because of my libido, it would be pretty extensive. Off the top of my head: beer and wine (multiple bartenders) ice cream (Dawn at “Double Rainbow”) mountain biking (briefly dated a semi pro MTBer who got me into the sport) and, finally, Scientology. (When they asked why I was there, I told them a woman I was romantically interested in recommended it.) I never did reach the “State of Clear.” With her or Scientology.

But tea? Well, to quote the Great Sage Meatloaf (again) “I’d do anything for love, but I won’t do that.”
Old 03-05-2021, 12:44 PM

Question for all the bleeders here. I am prone to nose bleeds and coffee definitely is a precipitating factor. It doesn't seem to be the caffeine but the alkaloids or something else, since the same caffeine in tea does not have that effect.
Old 03-06-2021, 02:04 PM

+1 coffee. Never trust anyone who doesn't drink coffee or alcohol. ;-)
Old 03-06-2021, 02:35 PM

It’s been proven that a cappuccino is the only perfect hot drink in existence.

That said, a friend took me to a tea house in San Francisco once and ordered a pot of tea that gave me the most intense (albeit clean) caffeine buzz I’ve ever experienced. Witchcraft, that stuff.