Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-05-2024, 10:37 AM

Garmin 130 is not going to do navigation, FWIW.
Old 04-05-2024, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellyho View Post
Garmin 130 is not going to do navigation, FWIW.
The Edge 130 Plus does navigation well. It does not provide a detailed map with street names, but does provide a basic map with turn-by-turn instructions. https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/698436

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Edge 130 Nav.JPG (26.6 KB, 132 views)
Old 04-05-2024, 11:21 AM

If relying on navigation frequently, I rarely have been successful using turns as shown in the 130 and find it much easier to follow a route seeing the map with the route highlighted.
Old 04-05-2024, 11:49 AM

One consideration that might be relevant: I personally loathe a touchscreen on the bike. I very much prefer having buttons that I can use while still keeping my eyes on the road or the front wheel in front of me if I need to change screens or something. (Di2 having the auxiliary buttons to flip screens is amazing as well.)

Some people love the touch screen and associated big display, but for me those are annoyances while on the bike. So I use the Garmin Edge 530 and it does everything I need to.

My partner used the Garmin Edge 130 on her bike and it's perfectly fine as well for her more limited needs.
Old 04-05-2024, 12:03 PM

I shelled out for the Garmin Edge 540 Solar and absolutely hated it. The menu system is incredibly confusing and clunky. Feels very unintuitive and not modern. It also lets me know that I've completed a "lap" every 5 miles no matter what I'm riding, regardless of whether I'm retracing my route or not. Seems to be no way to turn it off and it's incredibly annoying.

I switched to a Wahoo Bolt v2 and it's been a dream in comparison. Very simple and straightforward UI. Easy setup. It just works. The Garmin had so many extra features and a Byzantine maze of menus that made it so annoying to use. This is coming from someone who designs digital interfaces for a living — it has some of the worst, most dated-feeling software I've used since ~2005.
Old 04-05-2024, 12:30 PM

You can turn off the lap feature

Auto Lap
Hold .
Select > Activities & Apps.
Select an activity. NOTE: This feature is not available for all activities.
Select the activity settings.
Select an option: To turn the Auto Lap feature on or off, select the toggle switch. To adjust the distance between laps, select Auto Lap.
Old 04-05-2024, 12:53 PM

Instead of starting a new thread, I was going to ask a similar question.

My leyzne micro is on its last legs and I need to replace it. Not that interested in navigation, but need it to track heart rate and power.

Any suggestions for something similarly small and easy to use. When I look at garmin and wahoo they seem really big.
Old 04-05-2024, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post

My leyzne micro is on its last legs and I need to replace it. Not that interested in navigation, but need it to track heart rate and power.

Any suggestions for something similarly small and easy to use. When I look at garmin and wahoo they seem really big.
Garmin Edge 130 Plus. Very small, similar to old Cateye Micros or Astrales. Very easy to use for basic functions and supports HRMs and power meters.

Greg
Old 04-05-2024, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post

For the heart rate and power I think the wahoo products with colored led are the easiest to follow. The colors represent your zones and you no longer need to focus on the screen and can at a glance know which zone you are in.
Old 04-05-2024, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmax View Post
Garmin Edge 130 Plus. I'm anti-tech and it sold me.
Same here, minimal but gives me everything I need.
I used a stem mount so I don’t have it in my face all the time.
Old 04-05-2024, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah87 View Post
I shelled out for the Garmin Edge 540 Solar and absolutely hated it. The menu system is incredibly confusing and clunky. Feels very unintuitive and not modern. It also lets me know that I've completed a "lap" every 5 miles no matter what I'm riding, regardless of whether I'm retracing my route or not. Seems to be no way to turn it off and it's incredibly annoying.
From what I have read and heard, the UI on the x40 series was designed around a touch screen (840/1040) so it doesn't play as nicely with the 540, I have the 840, have had since last June and I find the UI to be really easy to use and the features are great.
The 840 has both touch screen and buttons, so while I mostly use the touch screen, I can still use the buttons if I am riding with gloves or if it's raining.
Old 04-05-2024, 01:17 PM

I was looking for a new computer during Black Friday sales & it came down to The Garmin Edge Explore 2 or Wahoo Roam V2

I went with the Wahoo & have been very happy no complaints.
Old 04-05-2024, 02:21 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
For the heart rate and power I think the wahoo products with colored led are the easiest to follow. The colors represent your zones and you no longer need to focus on the screen and can at a glance know which zone you are in.
Agree with this, though just to clarify, with the Bolt's single set of LEDs you have to choose between them showing power or HR (maybe on the Roam you can configure the other set of LEDs to show the other?). But, in addition to the LEDs, you can set up the Power & HR (and other) data fields with a color background so that a quick glimpse at the screen will tell you the zone you're in without having to look at the numbers. I initially didn't think the color screen would be a meaningful improvement over the v1. I was wrong.
Old 04-05-2024, 02:38 PM
Older Than You

I like to travel to new destinations to ride my bike. Denver, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, and Bentonville to name just a few.

My sense of direction hasn't been good for some time so it can be easy for me to get lost. Since buying the Karoo 2 I've never been close to being lost. The computer uses Open Cycle Maps that show the trails and bike friendly routes.
Old 04-05-2024, 03:00 PM

I've been very happy with Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt and Roam synced to a Varia radar taillight.