Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2023, 09:44 AM

Colnago bike weight

Hello!

I am a bike novice and found a CLD Colnago team edition (woman) on Facebook market place. My goal is to train for the race from Seattle to Portland.

I am around 220 lbs and after reaching out to Colnago, about how much this bike can hold, I am nervous if I am too big for it. They said it can hold 95kg (210lbs).

Can anyone give me insight on this?
Old 10-16-2023, 09:59 AM

I would not recommend this bike. Even if it can hold your weight, I believe these bikes can only fit 25mm tire max. For larger riders (I'm close to your weight), riding 28, 30, or even 32mm tires is a really big improvement in ride quality.

If you tell us more about what size bike you're looking for, and your budget, I'm sure the folks here could help you find a bike that would work better for you.
Old 10-16-2023, 10:03 AM

It is probably not the frame itself, but one of the components that has that 95 kg / 210 lbs weight limit. What wheelset does the bike come with?
Old 10-16-2023, 10:10 AM

Colnago really has no choice but to be conservative when officially stating a weight limit. Like others have said, look for a bike that will clear at least a 28mm tire, not so much for your weight, but to give a better ride quality for the amount of time you'll spend on this bike preparing for the ride.

I've done the STP several times and the last two times, I was 225 pounds. In 2008 and 2009, I rode my steel road bike with standard 32 spoke wheels and 25mm tires. The route didn't have any really bad roads and around 4400 feet of climbing over the 200 mile distance.
Old 10-16-2023, 11:30 AM
Vendor

Within reason (and your weight is within reason) it's usually more down to the wheels, saddle rails, and maybe the seatpost than the frame itself when it comes to weight limit. So with a sturdy set of wheels and a saddle that doesn't tout Xtralite Carbon Rails on a Carbon Shell, you should be fine.

But, as one erudite poster already mentioned, that bike will only accept 25mm tires. At your weight, you'll have to pump those things up 'til they are rock hard, and the ride quality will not be pleasant. I'd advise looking for a frame with clearance for 32mm tires. Those won't slow you down, and you'll be so much more comfortable on them. With tire clearance that wide, you'll probably also be looking at disc brakes, which are also a good idea.
Old 10-16-2023, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post

If you tell us more about what size bike you're looking for, and your budget, I'm sure the folks here could help you find a bike that would work better for you.
I really didn’t know the tire size was such a big deal. I do really appreciate all the feedback.

Honestly, I’m not totally sure what I’m looking for or should be looking for. Colnago was a little more sporty than I originally wanted (would like to strap on cargo).

I did like how light is but I don’t need that if that would bring price down.

Goals: train for Seattle to Portland (200 miles) for next august. Get around portland.
Price:Ideally I wouldn’t want to go over 1500 but it’s slightly negotiable. Would also like to get a used bike to bring price down. I spent $800 on Colnago.

Size: Frame size 49.
Old 10-16-2023, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay_jewell View Post
I really didn’t know the tire size was such a big deal.
It's not a BIG deal, it's just an issue to consider. It's always nice to have the option to go with wider tires, but forgoing that option may mean you can find a really nice bike at a really good price.
Old 10-16-2023, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I really didn’t know the tire size was such a big deal. I do really appreciate all the feedback.

Honestly, I’m not totally sure what I’m looking for or should be looking for. Colnago was a little more sporty than I originally wanted (would like to strap on cargo).

I did like how light is but I don’t need that if that would bring price down.

Goals: train for Seattle to Portland (200 miles) for next august. Get around portland.
Price:Ideally I wouldn’t want to go over 1500 but it’s slightly negotiable. Would also like to get a used bike to bring price down. I spent $800 on Colnago.

Size: Frame size 49.
I hadn't realized you already bought the Colnago. If you already have it in hand and you're comfortable on it, just ride it. It's not going to explode under you just because you're a little heavy. Others have said, if you're on the heavy side for this bike, the wheels might breaking spokes or coming out of true, so if that happens, you might want to use some of your excess budget on new wheels.

But the most important things are 1) that you feel comfortable on the bike, and 2) that you ride the bike a lot. If those two things are true, just keep going and deal with maintenance as it comes up.
Old 10-16-2023, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:

you can also look into "bikepacking" bags. The newer style bikepacking bags are designed to strap onto bikes that are not designed to accept more traditional touring racks and bags...
Old 10-16-2023, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I hadn't realized you already bought the Colnago. If you already have it in hand and you're comfortable on it, just ride it. It's not going to explode under you just because you're a little heavy. Others have said, if you're on the heavy side for this bike, the wheels might breaking spokes or coming out of true, so if that happens, you might want to use some of your excess budget on new wheels.

But the most important things are 1) that you feel comfortable on the bike, and 2) that you ride the bike a lot. If those two things are true, just keep going and deal with maintenance as it comes up.
Would still love to hear your recommendations
Old 10-16-2023, 03:50 PM

I'll reiterate the point about tires - as a heavier rider, tires are probably the #1 performance improvement you can make, other than fitness and body position. The reason is that rolling resistance is related to rider weight (linearly more or less).

If you are planning on carrying a load, keep in mind that that load needs to be added to your weight when evaluating the safety / durability of the frame.

I'm a heavier rider and I've gotten better reliability by using marginally heavier parts for wheels, while I've had premature failures in bearings and spokes from under-built wheels. Make sure your spokes stay properly tensioned! A loose spoke is subject to more bending and will fail prematurely from fatigue at key stress points, even on notionally stiff carbon rims.

As a final point, and given that you are limited to 25c tires, have you considered tubular? While tubular wheels require more work to set up, they ride better than clinchers due to their shape at the expense of a little bit of extra rolling resistance from the glue, and the handling is better (all differences marginal performance-wise but noticeable in the saddle). Another benefit to tubular is that you can find pre-owned wheels for a good price as people shift away from rim brakes and tubular setups in favor of disc brakes and clinchers or tubeless in competition and the marketing department. Just make sure, if carbon, that the brake track is in good shape and switch to carbon-specific pads - and don't switch back and forth between carbon and aluminum wheels without changing the pads.
Old 10-16-2023, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Would still love to hear your recommendations
A few bikes that come to mind that I think might be good for you would include the Cannondale Topstone, Canyon Grizl AL, or Marin Gestalt.

Generally speaking, these are marketed as "gravel bikes" but they fine for riding on the road, and because they're built for rougher terrain, they tend to also be more robust under heavier riders.

Also, though you said you wanted a used bike, there are some great deals on new bikes these days--and probably more towards the holiday season. For now, I still think it makes sense to ride what you've got, but if you find you're riding and your Colnago is leaving you with something to be desired, maybe find a local shop that's offering test rides on bike that is perhaps a better match for you.
Old 10-16-2023, 05:01 PM

Just get some strong wheels. Make sure bike fits you.

Last edited by Ralph; 10-16-2023 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-18-2023, 12:45 PM
Vendor

It's not as exotic as the Colnago, but the Liv Avail AR 1 is a comfortable road bike that is capable of going fast enough, unless you are racing.
Excellent component package and a decent set of aluminum wheels (could do much better, could do much worse, ya know?), and with plenty of eyelets for mounting racks and bags on.

Comes with 32mm tires, but can easily clear 38's.
https://www.liv-cycling.com/us/avail-ar-1
Old 11-20-2023, 03:52 PM

Hi- I’m back. After riding my Colnago for a little I think I need something more comfortable so I’m returning for more advice.

I’m looking at a canyon gravel bike (grizl cf sl e7). But with keeping my goal in mind (Seattle to portland), is that the wrong move?

In the meantime, I pretty much will only be ridding on asphalt for city commuting. Again, is a gravel bike the wrong move?

Still new to all of this and learning so thank you in advance for the advice.

Also please remember I’m heavier (220 lbs) and that was the original issue with the Colnago bike.

If you have any other bike suggestions, throw them my way!

Tags
colnago, colnago cld, road, weight, weightweenies