Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-29-2024, 07:47 AM

Re Stone being crappy - yes I am going off someone's video review... But that's really not my issue - I need a double and these things seemingly only get made in 1x. I decided a I want something like a 44/28 or 42/26 for gravel/do-everything cycling. Im doing the Jan Heine thing of 1x + granny. It works well for me atm with a 46/30 GRX but I'd like to go lower.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe77 View Post
Re Stone being crappy - yes I am going off someone's video review... But that's really not my issue - I need a double and these things seemingly only get made in 1x. I decided a I want something like a 44/28 or 42/26 for gravel/do-everything cycling. Im doing the Jan Heine thing of 1x + granny. It works well for me atm with a 46/30 GRX but I'd like to go lower.
What cassette are you running? You can get pretty significant low end with that 30 ring if you can get a slightly bigger cassette on there. I find the 30/36 combo pretty solid on my gravel bike.
Old 04-29-2024, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe77 View Post
I run 44-28 on two bikes, both with Praxis Zayante cranksets. One has the Engin spider and TA Zephyr chainrings, the other has a SRAM 120/80 BCD MTB spider with TA Cross rings. Note that:
- The Engin spider bolts the rings from the inside so needs a TA middle ring from a triple (or the very $$$ Sugino ring that Engin sells which I found to be really noisy)
- These are ten speed rings. I'm using them on an 11 speed Shimano system and they work fine but I imagine that an 11 speed Shimano crankset would shift even better.

On my Supersix I have a 46-30 Hollowgram crankset and a ZTTO ulralight 11-36 cassette shifted by an Ultegra R8000 shifter and derailleur. I like the ZTTO version of 11-36 11 speed cassette because, like the Shimano 11-34 cassette, it starts 11-13-15 and therefore has 2T jumps through the middle range of the cassette where I do most of my riding.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I run 44-28 on two bikes, both with Praxis Zayante cranksets. One has the Engin spider and TA Zephyr chainrings, the other has a SRAM 120/80 BCD MTB spider with TA Cross rings. Note that:
- The Engin spider bolts the rings from the inside so needs a TA middle ring from a triple (or the very $$$ Sugino ring that Engin sells which I found to be really noisy)
- These are ten speed rings. I'm using them on an 11 speed Shimano system and they work fine but I imagine that an 11 speed Shimano crankset would shift even better.

On my Supersix I have a 46-30 Hollowgram crankset and a ZTTO ulralight 11-36 cassette shifted by an Ultegra R8000 shifter and derailleur. I like the ZTTO version of 11-36 11 speed cassette because, like the Shimano 11-34 cassette, it starts 11-13-15 and therefore has 2T jumps through the middle range of the cassette where I do most of my riding.
I'm planning on ordering a spider for a Zayante crank but I'm unsure which version to order? May I ask which one you bought? Thanks....John
Old 04-29-2024, 01:59 PM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninflux View Post
I'm planning on ordering a spider for a Zayante crank but I'm unsure which version to order? May I ask which one you bought? Thanks....John
Contact Praxis directly, they’re super helpful.
Old 04-29-2024, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninflux View Post
If you are asking about the Zayante with the Engin spider, mine is the original version and now there are two, so I'd call Engin directly to ask that question.
Old 04-30-2024, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
If you are asking about the Zayante with the Engin spider, mine is the original version and now there are two, so I'd call Engin directly to ask that question.
Thanks..I'll try contacting them again..