Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2022, 11:06 AM
Post Mod-ern

Gravel tires . . . Any faves?

I've been using Maxxis Rambler 40's on my gravel steed, but now picked up a new wheelset and wondering what else might work for a bit smoother ride on pavement than the Ramblers, but with near or equal traction performance on dirt. Want to stay with 40mm.

Anybody have any favorites that might fit the bill?

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 12-08-2022, 11:19 AM

I know the bicyclerollingresistance review says otherwise, but I've had really good experience with the RH 38mm and 42mm knobbies (both run a little narrow). The traction is amazing, and I've had no trouble keeping up with people on slicks on tarmac.
Old 12-08-2022, 11:26 AM

I've been happy with my GravelKing SS tires. Granted, I have no tires to compare them to, gravel-wise, but they seem to hold the packed and loose stuff I ride. Easy to mount and take care of.
Old 12-08-2022, 11:27 AM

Victoria Terreno Dry or Specialized Pathfinder Pro

Tread compound > tread pattern
Old 12-08-2022, 11:36 AM
shimergo

Pirelli Cinturato Gravel H

Good puncture resistance and low rolling resistance.
Old 12-08-2022, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Will you be using them with or without tubes Dave? My recommendation would be different depending….
Old 12-08-2022, 11:41 AM

I've found the Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss in 38 to be really nice, it has a smooth center tread, so it doesn't feel too rough if hitting pavement before dirt/other surfaces. Plenty of grip on the sides. I have mine mounted on some Shamal Carbon wheels, and they are close to 40mm wide at 55psi
Old 12-08-2022, 12:06 PM

Any of the Gravel King series of tires will be smoother than the Maxxis. I would give the SK a try.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeDave View Post
I've been using Maxxis Rambler 40's on my gravel steed, but now picked up a new wheelset and wondering what else might work for a bit smoother ride on pavement than the Ramblers, but with near or equal traction performance on dirt. Want to stay with 40mm.

Anybody have any favorites that might fit the bill?

BBD
for a smoother ride on pavement but good traction on dirt, look for tires with a solid or unbroken center tread. I also came from the rambler and went with the pirelli gravel m. definitely felt the gravel m was smoother on pavement than the rambler
Old 12-08-2022, 12:25 PM

Heard good things from TUFO.
Most likely my next tires
Old 12-08-2022, 12:27 PM
Sunshine

GravelKing SS. I use the 43mm size and love em- on my 2nd set right now.

Ive used Clement MSO, WTB Resolute, GravelKing SS, and two other WTB tires over the last 8 years, all in 40mm - 43mm size.
The GravelKing SS roll the best on pavement and for the gravel roads I ride, they work great. I ride gravel roads though, so substantial lugged tread really isnt needed.
Once I need new tires next year, I will most likely buy the SS again- that speed and observed reliability for the price is tough to beat.

The one negative- the SS tires are infuriating to mount tubeless on my wheelset. They are loose and it takes a lot of frustration to mount. I actually dropped my wheels off at a shop this last time- I will pay $15 per tire to not be angry.
That is very much tire/wheel specific though and other wheels may work great for setting up tubeless.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:31 PM

I really like the Continental Terra Speed TLR however I am now using tubes, easy to mount also.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb5998 View Post
I've found the Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss in 38 to be really nice, it has a smooth center tread, so it doesn't feel too rough if hitting pavement before dirt/other surfaces. Plenty of grip on the sides. I have mine mounted on some Shamal Carbon wheels, and they are close to 40mm wide at 55psi
I've used these on a couple of bikes in both 38 and 42mm width tubeless and found they work great and have quite solid puncture protection as well (went about a year/ 3000 miles with no flats). I wouldn't trust them as much on wet/muddy singletrack, but on a dry singletrack or pavement they roll well.

It has been a while since I checked out that bicyclerollingresistance site though and its got me interested in the TUFO gravel tires.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:37 PM
#RYFB

I'm very happy with the Schwalbe G-One Allround that I've been using for a few months (with tubes). Was previously on GK SS (32) that were very nice on pavement but seemed less durable than the Schwalbe (cut sidewall after very few miles). Have also heard very good things about the Pirellis mentioned above.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
GravelKing SS. I use the 43mm size and love em- on my 2nd set right now.

Ive used Clement MSO, WTB Resolute, GravelKing SS, and two other WTB tires over the last 8 years, all in 40mm - 43mm size.
The GravelKing SS roll the best on pavement and for the gravel roads I ride, they work great. I ride gravel roads though, so substantial lugged tread really isnt needed.
Once I need new tires next year, I will most likely buy the SS again- that speed and observed reliability for the price is tough to beat.

The one negative- the SS tires are infuriating to mount tubeless on my wheelset. They are loose and it takes a lot of frustration to mount. I actually dropped my wheels off at a shop this last time- I will pay $15 per tire to not be angry.
That is very much tire/wheel specific though and other wheels may work great for setting up tubeless.
I had trouble getting my set to seat evenly. Took a bit of time and some massaging to get even. But otherwise they were easy to mount and to stay inflated.

What I don't like, is that on my 24mm internal rims, the 700x43 tires are very square, and don't give a sharp ride. I would also say that compared to the Challenge Gravel Grinder Pro tires that they replaced, their ride is very wooden and not nearly as supple. But they don't fall apart, which is why I would never recommend the Challenge Gravel Grinders to anyone!