Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2022, 06:13 PM

Ordered the wrong spokes

Got my BTLOS rims and measured the ERD which was way different than what BTLOS says. Used a spoke calculator and ordered the spokes. For the rear wheel I am using Pillar Wing 20 spokes for the NDS and thicker Sapim CX-Sprint for the DS. But I mixed up the lengths and the Wing 20 fits the NDS and CX-Sprint fits the NDS. This became painfully apparent as I was lacing the rear wheel and now I have to take it apart and decide what to do:

1. Just switch the spokes so the thicker CX-Sprint will be on the NDS and thinner Wing 20 on the DS. I don't weigh a lot so I am not too worried about the wheel not being stiff enough. But I worry that the thicker spokes on the NDS could go slack easier.

2. Order new Wing 20 for the NDS so I will have the same spokes all around. Would cost $36, I may have some CX-Rays in my spoke collection the right length.

3. Order all new spokes cost $72. Could possibly sell the ones I have on Ebay.

I am thinking option 2 might make the most sense.
Boy do I feel stupid, I spent a lot of time making sure everything was right and I still screwed it up. I did already build the front wheel and it came out great. Thanks for any input.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:17 PM
I need you cool.

Option #3 - settle, and it will always bug you it is not what you wanted.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:24 PM

I did find some CX-Rays the right length in my collection for the NDS.
I am thinking just build it and if it feels too flexy then order the thicker spokes and replace the DS.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:06 PM

Make it right and you will sleep better.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:20 PM

Think I am going to order new spokes but get Sapim Race for the DS and Laser for the NDS. It’s what I have done before and no longer feel the need for bladed spokes on the rear wheel.
Old 12-08-2022, 06:44 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
Got my BTLOS rims and measured the ERD which was way different than what BTLOS says. Used a spoke calculator and ordered the spokes. For the rear wheel I am using Pillar Wing 20 spokes for the NDS and thicker Sapim CX-Sprint for the DS. But I mixed up the lengths and the Wing 20 fits the NDS and CX-Sprint fits the NDS. This became painfully apparent as I was lacing the rear wheel and now I have to take it apart and decide what to do:

1. Just switch the spokes so the thicker CX-Sprint will be on the NDS and thinner Wing 20 on the DS. I don't weigh a lot so I am not too worried about the wheel not being stiff enough. But I worry that the thicker spokes on the NDS could go slack easier.

2. Order new Wing 20 for the NDS so I will have the same spokes all around. Would cost $36, I may have some CX-Rays in my spoke collection the right length.

3. Order all new spokes cost $72. Could possibly sell the ones I have on Ebay.

I am thinking option 2 might make the most sense.
Boy do I feel stupid, I spent a lot of time making sure everything was right and I still screwed it up. I did already build the front wheel and it came out great. Thanks for any input.
Do number 2..altho 'thicker' spokes on rear drive side or disc side front is a 'good' idea(I do that), if you are light, not a show stopper.

Just read above and yup, Race and Lasers are a good mix. CXRay or CXSprint's 'performance gain' doesn't equal their price, IMHO. $4 per spoke...yowser.
Old 12-08-2022, 09:47 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.
I decided since I already have CX-Rays for the NDS I ordered the CX-Sprints for the DS. I am sure the round spokes would have been ok but the money is not a big deal. I have ridden the front wheel and it is awesome so looking forward to having the back done.