Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2022, 09:32 PM

Watches are a very personal item. Wear what you like; not what others like. I have a number of watches and a lot of straps.

I don't like small watches - 42mm is my smallest - for a dress watch. I don't like yellow gold or two tone. I don't wear metal bracelets. I have never seen a Seiko or Rolex that I would wear. Obviously no vintage watches as they are too small.

Take some time and figure out what you really like. I buy things I like and keep them a long time. I have a number of watches that I have had over 15 years and still love. Spend some time on Watchuseek.

My problem is I purchased an I watch just about 8 weeks ago and that is all I am wearing as there are a number of features I like. I did buy 8 straps in the first week.

Take your time and don't buy a Shinola.

Jeff
Old 12-07-2022, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Charlie, as I'm sure you already know, it's written in the Paceline charter that whenever someone asks for advice about a purchase, especially if he's heading down a well-worn path to a familiar destination, it's our responsibility to spice things up, increase the budget, and send him to a more interesting place in life.
And this is why we keep coming back.
Old 12-07-2022, 10:12 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

A random thought - if the OP were looking for something more formal, but with a reasonable price, then the Orient Bambino or Seiko Cocktail Time (more $) would be near the top of my list:

(There have been a number of Bambino models over the years, this one happens to be the Version 2)

Last edited by Louis; 12-07-2022 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-07-2022, 11:28 PM

I am partial to dive watches, personally.
This is even on sale right now.
https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/p...B6021-68L.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 460E7348-8970-4D7B-9A2C-7579D0C4030C.jpeg (68.4 KB, 222 views)
Old 12-08-2022, 12:23 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000m2 View Post
I am partial to dive watches, personally.
This is even on sale right now.
https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/p...B6021-68L.html
And if you're looking for truly affordable and happy with quartz, there's the Casio Duro aka "Marlin." Mine is part of my regular "weekend wear" rotation. Brand new for less than $50 - one of the best watch deals out there. (Raised indices ! For less than $50 !)

Currently $44 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Casio-MDV106-...009KYJAJY?th=1

Last edited by Louis; 12-08-2022 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-08-2022, 06:31 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Charlie, as I'm sure you already know, it's written in the Paceline charter that whenever someone asks for advice about a purchase, especially if he's heading down a well-worn path to a familiar destination, it's our responsibility to spice things up, increase the budget, and send him to a more interesting place in life.
Ain't it the truth...I think he ought to get this..and 'watch' 'some' lose their minds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Apple_announces-watch-se_09152020_big.jpg.large.jpg (36.8 KB, 211 views)
Old 12-08-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Ain't it the truth...I think he ought to get this..and 'watch' 'some' lose their minds.
Yeah. Horology is not about practicality, necessarily. Cool factor is the thing. and cool is relative.
Old 12-08-2022, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
My Apple Watch does a pretty good impression of my Rolex GMT Master ...
Old 12-08-2022, 11:31 AM

Just following along here, I dont know much about watches, but like the OP, I have my eyes on a Shinola, curious why they are hated on?
Old 12-08-2022, 11:32 AM
Forward the Foundation

Being Paceline, why buy some pre-built watch?
That is like buying a bike at the LBS with parts on it,
any here do that?

I thought not,

Here is the QBP of watches,

https://www.esslinger.com/
Old 12-08-2022, 11:43 AM

These are always fascinating discussions. I'd say no to the Shinola and I think Seiko has upped its prices without upping its game.

The Hamilton is a great suggestion. I'd go something from the Swatch group--easily serviced, rock solid movements. Since you mentioned a diver, I'd say look at the Mido Ocean Star. Way underrated watch and brand.

Jomashop is a "grey market" dealer and will sell you a new authentic watch with their own warranty. I've bought a bunch (Tudor, Tissot, Mido) from them and have been very happy.

https://www.jomashop.com/mido-watch-...BoCJ0cQAvD_BwE

Sometimes Rado Captain Cooks can be had at $1K. Super classy watch, imo.

https://www.jomashop.com/rado-watch-r32500153.html

Watches are more of a rabbit hole than bikes in some ways. (Current wrist check: Omega Speedy).
Old 12-08-2022, 11:50 AM

Oh, and speaking of Stowa, they're doing their advent special sale right now. The 42 Flieger is today's watch.

https://www.stowa.de/en/Verus+42+christmas+22+8.htm

899 Euros without VAT + Shipping to the US. That's a lot of really great German watch for $900.

There's a new special every day and sometimes the older specials get restocked.

ETA: Check out Teddy Baldessarre's blog for lots of good information and guides:
https://teddybaldassarre.com/blogs/watches

Last edited by whateveronfire; 12-08-2022 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
Just following along here, I dont know much about watches, but like the OP, I have my eyes on a Shinola, curious why they are hated on?
They are good for Detroit. Basically a fashion watch. Got in trouble with the FTC over their Made in America claims.

Jeff
Old 12-08-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
They are good for Detroit. Basically a fashion watch. Got in trouble with the FTC over their Made in America claims.

Jeff
Ok, so I am a recovering WIS (watch idiot savant). Since I am no longer working in an office or traveling much for work, many of my grails no longer get wrist time and I am often looking for something I can beat around in on the weekend. Cue Shinola. Yes it is quartz. Yes I replaced the band with one of my customs from my Panerai collection. But... I get way more compliments than most of my serious horological watches, its very legible, goes with jeans, and the case construction is actually very nice. I don't worry walking around with the Shinola on my wrist and simply appreciate it as a good lookin' watch.

That being said, for another entry level watch with good construction and mid-level off the shelf swiss movements, look at Victorinox. It won't excite a WIS, but they are fine watches. I also agree there's a reason there's a billion Seiko 5 variations - damn fine watches, inexpensive, but have never really set my heart on fire.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyhistoric View Post
Ok, so I am a recovering WIS (watch idiot savant). Since I am no longer working in an office or traveling much for work, many of my grails no longer get wrist time and I am often looking for something I can beat around in on the weekend. Cue Shinola. Yes it is quartz.
I have to agree that Shinola watches are exceedingly well made and attractive. If you can find one on sale, it's an appealing option. I'm no mechanical snob. Seiko and Longines make AMAZING high accuracy quartz movements.

Tags
braceline, man bracelet