Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2022, 06:00 PM

Is this a unicorn because there are just not many stock Ti frames period? And then the disc brake trend nudged the industry to either disc frames that can take bigger rubber, while the remaining few rim brake frames are short reach skinny tires only? Lynskey is perhaps an example, as their site shows only one rim brake frame, the R300 Rim?
Old 12-07-2022, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Just curious if you’ve ridden a bike with mid reach brakes? I’ve had 2: Mr. Pink and Soma Pescadero. And a Surly Steamroller but not going to count that.

I ride in an area with plenty of elevation gain per ride. Braking was subpar on both bikes. They were both sold within a year of purchase. For flat terrain or casual riding, it’d be no issue but I wasn’t a fan for spirited riding. Going back to short reach on my Caad felt like going from worn drum brakes to new discs.
I rode a (carbon high-zoot) Felt F1PR with mid-reach TRP 957 brakes. It gave up 2-3% on modern Shimano calipers, but nothing worth worrying about. Not really noticeable after 5-10 minutes into the ride.

Last edited by mhespenheide; 12-09-2022 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-07-2022, 11:38 PM

I have a Black Mountain Cycles Road with Velo Orange Grand Cru brakes, and like it a lot for mixed terrain.

It would be great to see a (maybe stock geo), budget-friendly ti version, but outside of builders mentioned, it is limited.

Since the ti Kona Esatto that was along these lines was made by Lynskey, is it potentially worth looking into if Lynskey would make this frame within their custom program? My guess is it would still be affordable, likely sub-$3k.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:49 AM

Sabbath September & Spa Audax - both designed for 57mm calipers and in stock in most sizes, under £1000
Old 12-08-2022, 12:29 PM

Unfortunately website states they don’t ship frames to North America.
Old 12-08-2022, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Interestingly, and contrary to their namesake Ticycles sells a stock midreach frame in steel. I'm sure they could whip up the same in ti if you called them...

https://www.ticycles.com/store-bikes/bikes/local-hero
Old 12-08-2022, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERK55 View Post
Unfortunately website states they don’t ship frames to North America.
I sent an email to see if that is true, but the geometry on the Spa Audax is really strange.
Old 12-08-2022, 04:10 PM
Steel..what else??

xx

Last edited by Big Dan; 12-08-2022 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-09-2022, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokyroadie View Post
I sent an email to see if that is true, but the geometry on the Spa Audax is really strange.
I thought the same. The Sabbath looks much more "normal", but I think the Spa is more using traditional touring geo, with long TT and a more relaxed head angle. Also, all those pictured are running a lot of spacer stack. All this is nodding toward touring, with perhaps a slightly shorter than average stem length.
Old 12-09-2022, 08:06 AM

I feel like we need to give this style of bike a definitive name and create a master consolidated thread of frame/bike info.

There has to have been 5-10 of these threads pop up in the last few months.

People who enjoy the simplicity of rim-brakes but enjoy the benefits of larger tires. I know this because I've sought out the same info across all of these threads and posts.

road+ bike? (Kirk) MRB? Mid-reach rim-brake road bike (MRRBRB)?

Now that I'm thinking of it, almost all frames have been metal, is there a single production frame example of this style in carbon?
Old 12-09-2022, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackus View Post
Now that I'm thinking of it, almost all frames have been metal, is there a single production frame example of this style in carbon?
The Jamis Xenith Endura, which I think was discontinued in 2016. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QguXYyGAx74

Felt F1PR (very limited production).

Can't think of any others.
Old 12-09-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
The Jamis Xenith Endura, which I think was discontinued in 2016. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QguXYyGAx74

Felt F1PR (very limited production).

Can't think of any others.
I thought the Xenith Endura was made for 28's? Maybe they were savvy enough to build it with the brake blocks at the bottom of their slots and you can squeeze in 32's.

The Felt F1PR definitely fits 32's and it exists. I have one.

There's also the Cervelo R3 "mud" variant, but it's probably even more rare than the Felt. I've only ever seen one listed for sale.
Old 12-09-2022, 10:42 AM

Rivendell Rabouillet...

from 20 years ago.

http://www.cyclofiend.com/rbw/rambouillet/

Like this. This shop is right here in Santa Rosa. Not sure if site is current.

https://store.bicycleczar.com/54cm-R...p/02220045.htm

Last edited by eddief; 12-09-2022 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-09-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackus View Post
I feel like we need to give this style of bike a definitive name and create a master consolidated thread of frame/bike info.

There has to have been 5-10 of these threads pop up in the last few months.

People who enjoy the simplicity of rim-brakes but enjoy the benefits of larger tires. I know this because I've sought out the same info across all of these threads and posts.

road+ bike? (Kirk) MRB? Mid-reach rim-brake road bike (MRRBRB)?

Sport Touring or Audax would be the names that come to my mind for this style of frame. I have a late 70s Trek TX700 which is a sport touring frame and fits 700c wheels with 57mm brakes bottomed in the slots. Fits a 28 front, rear 32 with full fenders.

Carbon frames of this type are very rare.
Old 12-09-2022, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
I thought the Xenith Endura was made for 28's? Maybe they were savvy enough to build it with the brake blocks at the bottom of their slots and you can squeeze in 32's.

The Felt F1PR definitely fits 32's and it exists. I have one.

There's also the Cervelo R3 "mud" variant, but it's probably even more rare than the Felt. I've only ever seen one listed for sale.
I used to have the Jamis but sold it to a friend so I can't check. It fits at least 28s with fenders. Tons of room around the brakes/brake bridge. Limiting factor would probably be the chainstay, but I can't check right now.

The R3 Mud uses short reach brakes, it just has more tire clearance. If you're talking short reach brakes, there are lots of options out there that fit 30+ tires with rim brakes.