Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 05:18 PM

Awful that this happened.

A sentence in the article made me laugh out loud: "A place where the unhoused live and fires have broken out in the past."

Do people really talk like that out west?
Old 12-07-2022, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisMerckx View Post
Awful that this happened.

A sentence in the article made me laugh out loud: "A place where the unhoused live and fires have broken out in the past."

Do people really talk like that out west?
Only the press talks like that. I have no idea why they insist on euphemisms for drug addicts.

(Did I just expose myself as being old for saying "Drug Addict"?)
Old 12-07-2022, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
Only the press talks like that. I have no idea why they insist on euphemisms for drug addicts.

No. EM is right. I could start a whole thread on the topic.
Old 12-07-2022, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
No. EM is right. I could start a whole thread on the topic.
Let's not
Old 12-07-2022, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallizes View Post
Let's not
Fair enough.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo62 View Post
As a 33-year resident of Oakland, I love all the criminologists here sharing expert opinions on Oakland crime rates from across the continent.
Oakland isn't exactly a welcoming part of the country after all I've stayed a few times in Prescott when visiting for a conference and being too cheap to pay for a hotel in SF, and compared to NYC it felt a lot less safe. Can only imagine that those who live in less metropolitan areas feel an even greater difference.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:47 PM
Everything is connected

I don’t know…you can’t even park in a truck stop or roadside rest area too long with goodies like that hanging from the van, let alone park overnight in an area where almost 6,000 vehicles per year are reported to be stolen. I haven’t been to Oakland in a long time, but the crime rates are something to take notice of.

https://crime-data-explorer.app.clou...me/crime-trend

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...california.xls
Old 12-07-2022, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedaid View Post
Oakland isn't exactly a welcoming part of the country after all I've stayed a few times in Prescott when visiting for a conference and being too cheap to pay for a hotel in SF, and compared to NYC it felt a lot less safe. Can only imagine that those who live in less metropolitan areas feel an even greater difference.
I don't know - I don't think I'd feel all that "welcome" in NYC.

And, for the record, as a long time resident of the East Bay, I've only ever had my car broken into in San Francisco (and I *was* asking for it - now my car is basically empty, and I leave it unlocked...please, somebody, steal the damn thing)
Old 12-07-2022, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Yeah, really. I have a buddy who cycles the Oakland hills at 5 AM. Solo. With rim brakes. And colorful neck gators. But he's a bad, bad motherf**cker. Baddest man in the whole damn town. Meaner than a junkyard dog.

No one messes with him. Except the deer.
Does he have a Cervelo and a Baum, by chance? Baddest man, indeed.

Or is he you? In which case, let's go for a ride sometime!
Old 12-07-2022, 10:29 PM

Bad press for SF Bay Area this week with this incident following the report of stolen bikes from a garage in the Sunset: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=289981

I live in Piedmont but it's basically in Oakland and these days you can't leave anything in your car overnight or even when you park and go shopping. Not sure what he could've done other than take all of his stuff out of the U-haul and bring them inside wherever he was staying. Sadly his buddy let him down by not reminding him that he ain't in La Jolla...
Old 12-07-2022, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRietz View Post
Does he have a Cervelo and a Baum, by chance? Baddest man, indeed.

Or is he you? In which case, let's go for a ride sometime!
No. My buddy Waldo. Way badder than me. I believe carbon framed bikes clash with his neck gators, so he rides steel.

But we can still go for a ride. You know … at a civilized hour
Old 12-07-2022, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddub66 View Post
Bad press for SF Bay Area this week with this incident following the report of stolen bikes from a garage in the Sunset: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=289981

I live in Piedmont but it's basically in Oakland and these days you can't leave anything in your car overnight or even when you park and go shopping. Not sure what he could've done other than take all of his stuff out of the U-haul and bring them inside wherever he was staying. Sadly his buddy let him down by not reminding him that he ain't in La Jolla...
Leaving bikes in garages isn’t the best idea, no matter where you live.

Lots of Oakland bashing going on in this thread. I live here. Not in the best area. Not in the worst. I like it. Great for cycling and very diverse.

Last edited by XXtwindad; 12-07-2022 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-08-2022, 06:17 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankles View Post
I've owned a westy. The thieves almost did him a favor.
Every time I get nostalgic for mine, I ride past the Bus Lab in Berkeley.
Seeing 20+ lined up on the street is a nice reminder of why I shouldn't miss it.

Glad he got it back though.
Oh please, don't need more thread drift about the 'victim's' poor choices. That Camper, altho 34 or so years old, can be VERY reliable, as was mine(1987 Synchro). Maintenance is a breeze, parts, including engines and transmissions are plentiful. It's an 'L' model, don't think is air-cooled, I think the bumpers have been replaced BUT even a water pamper is easy to maintain and easy to fix.

And the people that yell about what a ****e-hole Oakland is, while using the inter web for their sources of info.....until somebody who lives there tells the 'rest of the story'. My neighbor across the street, in very liberal, safe and 'wealthy ' people's republic, got her big bux Volvo stolen..even in non-****e-holes..imagine that.

Glad he got The Camper back too..Hope he has good insurance, doubt he'll see anything else.
Quote:

Pretty big brush there. Lots of 'drug addicts' everywhere, even living in nice homes in various places and most 'homeless' are not 'drug addicts, don't want to be there.

How about back to the story about the bike guy losing his stuff?

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 12-08-2022 at 06:25 AM.
Old 12-08-2022, 06:21 AM
Tired Member

Quote:
Leaving bikes in garages isn’t the best idea, no matter where you live.

Lots of Oakland bashing going on in this thread. I live here. Not in the best area. Not in the worst. I like it. Great for cycling and very diverse.
Don't interpret my interpretations as bashing. There are good and bad sides to every place. I used to live in Kensington when I was working at UC.

For all of Oakland's diversity, Kensington has none. It's rich people living on a hill.
Old 12-08-2022, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
He probably had a friend that lives there or something and that is why he stopped there. Assuming an entire city is a %^thole is well....
He did. The article mentioned that it is an overnight stop at a friend's place. I am surprised his friend didn't warn him when he arrived with his rig. Like another poster said, that set up is tempting in anywhere.
Closed Thread