Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2022, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
I'll be curious how you get along with that.. I tried my wife's and just didn't like it.. but, I will say I despise spin classes.. I ever tried the "ride" feature that wasn't a "class" and it just wasn't the same for me.. Zwift is much tolerable for me.
When I travel I dont mind joining a spin class every now and then, good mix up IMO and you definitely get some kind of workout. That said. I'm never "training" for anything in particular, just looking to keep some base level of fitness. I have the bike contact points set-up pretty well now too, so doing some structured intervals is going to happen too.
Old 09-27-2022, 09:41 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
This solution seems to speak to me. So you are running Zwift on your laptop and then basically mirroring your laptop to the TV? I will probably wind up doing this with an HDMI cable! Seems simple enough!
yep.. on the top of my laptop screen is the Airplay button that I can click and select which TV I want to Airplay to.. if your tv doesn't have Airplay, an HDMI cable works just fine (I needed the Apple dongle for the laptop end).
Old 09-27-2022, 09:42 AM

Lots and lots over on the TrainerRoad forum.

Let's see your pain cave!
Let's see your pain cave (strength training version)

Mine has almost nothing in common with these:
Old 09-27-2022, 09:53 AM

Quote:
I'll be curious how you get along with that.. I tried my wife's and just didn't like it.. but, I will say I despise spin classes.. I even tried the "ride" feature that wasn't a "class" and it just wasn't the same for me.. Zwift is much tolerable for me.
The full Stages fitness bike is down to $2k again, which is only 25% more than the Peleton and opens up a lot more smart trainer options than being tied to Peleton workouts.

I got mine during the Zwift mega-sale where it dropped to $1700, but that was May and well into outdoor season. I still do roughly 60% of my riding on it though because I can just hop on Zwift/Trainerroad after the sun goes down without having to do the whole charade.
Old 09-27-2022, 10:02 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
The full Stages fitness bike is down to $2k again, which is only 25% more than the Peleton and opens up a lot more smart trainer options than being tied to Peleton workouts.

I got mine during the Zwift mega-sale where it dropped to $1700, but that was May and well into outdoor season. I still do roughly 60% of my riding on it though because I can just hop on Zwift/Trainerroad after the sun goes down without having to do the whole charade.
my wife was focused on the Peloton, so that's what we got.. (happy wife, etc) at least it was during the sale where I think I only paid around $1,600..

I was able to pick up my Kickr Core used for $500 a few years ago and the TV, while not necessary, was under $300 at Costco.. I figured I already had the bikes and an extra cassette laying around.

as far as getting going, I usually have an extra bike that stays on the Kickr, after that it's just taking my laptop to the garage and connecting Airplay.. not sure it would take any less time on anything else to be honest..

Last edited by fourflys; 09-27-2022 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-27-2022, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
350 lb limit according to DC Rainmaker, bike is listed at 138 lb, so as long as you weigh less than 210 lb-ish, it should work.

I'm not sure you'd get the same/similar feeling as riding on the road though, with 140 lb of bike + the weight of the platform "under" you, the moment of inertia is way higher than your bike will ever be. Seems like it'd feel slow to respond as you hunt to find where the bike is under you, which may be worse than static. Total conjecture though, I haven't tried it.

This is an interesting thought w re to inertia. I’m not really looking for road feel just a bit of give. Would like to hear if anyone has tried a SB20 with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2022, 03:33 AM

Indoors

I take over a spare bedroom and put one of those blue tarps down. Tru- trainer rollers and a fan. The gears offer all the resistance I need. I have a wall on one side and a high table on the other.
I do not have internet connectivity. Once a week intervals - 10 minute pieces, 20 minutes sweet spot, 30 minutes. Those sessions go quick and ratchet up focus. Most training is easy stuff - 1 to 2 hours usually with breaks at 30, 45 or 60 minutes. I have a radio - NPR, or smooth jazz. Sometimes silence. I value the mental training for focus. Somewhat meditative but the the non-interval sessions can be "long." I find the mental discipline to be very beneficial. For 20 years I rowed a single, so solitude is a friend.
Old 09-28-2022, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
Curious how much weight that rocker board can handle and how heavy your bike is? I have a SB20 and it’s heavy and rock solid. I like it a ton but having a bit of movement would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the movement of the platform
The Saris is super heavy duty built unit.
I am sure there are people using it with the SB20. I get a lot of fore and aft movement with my bike. I don’t stand a lot so I don’t do a lot of side to side movements. Too many years riding rollers.
Old 09-28-2022, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Zwift on the TV will stall for 5 or so seconds every now and then.. if it does, I just look over to the laptop until it comes back..
I used an older Macbook Air for a while and then upgraded to a 4K Apple TV (previous generation). i find the Zwift experience on the Apple TV much simpler and more stable than with the laptop (each was connected via HDMI to a Sony flatscreen...

Just less fiddling. I did have to upgrade my Garmin HRM to a dual mode sensor (and the old Kurt Kinetic to a Tacx Neo 2T, but that's a separate story...)
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 09-30-2022, 08:34 AM

In case anyone is looking, Colorado Cyclist now has the Tacx Flux S trainer at 25% off.
Old 09-30-2022, 08:46 AM

I’ll try to remember to get a pic…

I have a Stages SB20 in the basement bike shop, with a Mac Mini hooked up to a 43” tv. I use TrainerRoad on my phone and watch races via GCN.

I love the SB20. I got it cheap during the zwift sale and have used it 3-4 times per week ever since. The massive flywheel is nice, as well as having the brake levers for “instant” resistance when I want it for sprints, etc.
Old 09-30-2022, 10:11 AM

I put my 1988 Cannonade 3.0 on a wahoo kickr core I got on sale.

I run Trainerroad on my phone mounted to my handlebars, with a MacBook pro and headphone for entertainment.

I really like TR, and feel it has made me a faster, better cyclist. I don't have interest in video games.
Old 09-30-2022, 10:33 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
I used an older Macbook Air for a while and then upgraded to a 4K Apple TV (previous generation). i find the Zwift experience on the Apple TV much simpler and more stable than with the laptop (each was connected via HDMI to a Sony flatscreen...

Just less fiddling. I did have to upgrade my Garmin HRM to a dual mode sensor (and the old Kurt Kinetic to a Tacx Neo 2T, but that's a separate story...)

been considering an Apple TV.. thanks!
Old 10-01-2022, 06:45 AM

Bike on the right, with desk for bottles/snacks/gels. Tv on rolling stand on left, with job site fan below it. Fan is on a remote, kept on the desk.
Old 10-01-2022, 07:36 AM

there we go, finally a picture!

how do you project whatever you're looking at (trainerroad, etc) to the tv? do you do that via a wired connection or wireless? I have space for a trainer and want to be able to project the image from whatever software I figure out to my t.v. off in the distance (about 12' away) without having to run a cord.

Thanks for all the other info, folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadzilla_Jr View Post

Bike on the right, with desk for bottles/snacks/gels. Tv on rolling stand on left, with job site fan below it. Fan is on a remote, kept on the desk.

Tags
paincave