Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-26-2022, 02:53 AM

Let's see your indoor trainer setups

Am looking to set up an indoor trainer with the latest unit, tv, synchronized riding videos (matched to power), yadda yadda.

Have absolutely no idea what's what these days or how to use 'em. For reference, years ago I once had a Computrainer and all I ever did was set it at 150 watts and goose it up manually every now & then. Hated the thing, and had no time or desire to figure out that ancient tech. Never got around to integrating it with riding videos, etc.

So...am hoping today's stuff is super easy.

Appreciate any tips & tricks. Trying hard to plan on figuring out how to maintain my fitness gains this spring & summer as winter arrives (which since I'm in SoCal really means no time to get out on road after work). Thanks.
Old 09-26-2022, 07:04 AM

Watching this one.

I have a set of Inside Ride rollers (manual version). I was considering upgrading to the bluetooth version for some kind of online riding. However, I am not a tech person, at ALL, and what I know has all been against my will. After looking at the "apps" and software required to get going, I'm out. It'll be another winter of "A Sunday in Hell" and old Coors Classic DVDs with the stereo volume at "Patent Pending".
Old 09-26-2022, 08:13 AM

This will be third season on this setup: Late 80's Centurion Ironman frame and fork, random 700c front wheel, indexed 10 speed downtube shifting. This year the brake levers and brakes will come off, as all you need is a frameset, bars, crank, rear derailleur and shifters.

Trainer unit is a TACX Neo 2T. Two high volume floor fans, 32-inch inexpensive TV with sound bar that bluetooths to my PC in the next room for music. Wahoo Ticker HR chest band.

Very easy to set up and it all runs flawlessly off of an iPhone 13. Definitely helps to maintain/improve fitness through the winter months.

Trainer setup 10 20 by Doc Mertes, on Flickr
Old 09-26-2022, 08:23 AM

No image handy, but here's my set-up...

- Wahoo Kickr smart trainer (if buying today, I'd probably get the new Zwift trainer)

- Lifeline rocker plate (allows trainer to pivot left/right) - not required, just nice

- Tacx tablet holder (bar mount holder for iPad)

- iPad Pro (any tablet, PC, or AppleTV will work)

These days, I subscribe to Zwift for indoor rides and workouts. It has virtual racing, a pretty decent virtual world, and some gamification elements.

If you just want straight workouts, I'd recommend TrainerRoad instead.
Old 09-26-2022, 08:30 AM

It's a bit more complicated then the Computrainer days, but that's only because today's options are SOOOOO much better and more sophisticated, you have great trainers from Saris, Tacx, Wahoo, Elite, to name the popular ones, you have all the various training apps to choose from. but you do occasionally run into issues with Bluetooth.

Personally I use a Kickr with my regular road bike, I live in NYC so I dont have the dedicated space for a permanent set up so I use a fold-able music stand and put my ipad on it, I run Zwift off the iPad and listen to music/podcasts from my phone via a bluetooth speaker.
Old 09-26-2022, 08:52 AM

Others already covered it but simplest and most reliable setup for the screen is either the base level ($300) iPad with a handlebar mounted holder (Tacx or similar). Or an Apple TV connected to the TV of your choice.

Either of those can run Zwift, Trainerroad, systm, Rouvy, Peloton (purchased via app store can get HR but not power), etc. etc. Can also connect to any modern smart trainer and other Bluetooth sensors. Extremely reliable and fast.

Then pair your preferred smart or dumb trainer. Oh and FANS, the Lasko blower ones are really good.
Old 09-26-2022, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
This will be third season on this setup: Late 80's Centurion Ironman frame and fork, random 700c front wheel, indexed 10 speed downtube shifting. This year the brake levers and brakes will come off, as all you need is a frameset, bars, crank, rear derailleur and shifters.

Trainer unit is a TACX Neo 2T. Two high volume floor fans, 32-inch inexpensive TV with sound bar that bluetooths to my PC in the next room for music. Wahoo Ticker HR chest band.

Very easy to set up and it all runs flawlessly off of an iPhone 13. Definitely helps to maintain/improve fitness through the winter months.
So you're able to run Zwift off an iPhone and mirror it to the TV?? Im just getting into this game and looking for a basic setup. I dont have an ipad so if it can run off an iphone, thatd be awesome!
Old 09-26-2022, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
So you're able to run Zwift off an iPhone and mirror it to the TV?? Im just getting into this game and looking for a basic setup. I dont have an ipad so if it can run off an iphone, thatd be awesome!
Yes, though it's probably easier to use an AppleTV and run Zwift natively there. That frees the phone for the Companion app (for Zwift), or music, or Discord (group chat/voice).
Old 09-26-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
It's a bit more complicated then the Computrainer days, but that's only because today's options are SOOOOO much better and more sophisticated, you have great trainers from Saris, Tacx, Wahoo, Elite, to name the popular ones, you have all the various training apps to choose from. but you do occasionally run into issues with Bluetooth.
Yes and No.

There are more options. But, in general, they're all wireless, and most apps run on multiple platforms. So, it's pretty easy to get going, once you decide on an app. The trainers themselves are mostly interchangeable - pick a price point then buy whatever the LBS carries. The apps are all monthly subscription, so pick a common one, and if you don't like it, change next month.

CompuTrainer had dedicated PC software, serial cables to run around the room, etc. And it wasn't cheap. You can get a new smart trainer for <$500, and assuming you have a tablet or laptop, you're out $20/month give or take for app access.
Old 09-26-2022, 10:10 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Getting it set back up with 30s in the forecast
Wahoo Kickr, Floor drying fan, 32" TV with HDMI connected to MacBook Air (not pictured) to run Zwift on the big screen and YouTube/etc on the laptop screen.

Last edited by kppolich; 09-26-2022 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-26-2022, 10:44 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

No Pic here either.

Upgraded every few year for forever [decades]

Computrainer mounted on a Kurt Rock&Roll stand. DLP projector with a 98" wide 120"diag pull down screen. Blinds to darken room for best light noise [contrast ration+++]

I alter between an ErgVideo I bought way back, and subscription to ErgVid library online. Last subscription had some stupid CC issues processing so I went without VIDs off internet collection. Mostly motorcycle cam VIDS in MTNS and coast roads.

Music is mostly playlist I put together playing thru 2000s pre Dolby 5.1 HT ProLogic receiver and old HT speakers in shop office. DTS & Piega stuff in HT in house, repurposed stuff shop office.

Imperatives
For me, Proper mood music and Visuals to keep you on the machine, what ever it is.

ERG mode

FANS!! No air moving past you unless you make it so..

NO PHONE/TXT/EMAIL close to you.

For me it is about Function in use, and best function in shorter time window [erg mode]

Thanks for the reminder, will see if ERG Video sorted CC processing...
Old 09-26-2022, 12:00 PM

Does anyone use something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Cycl.../dp/B07BQZY9RL

I ride rollers and it would be kinda neat to have my laptop with YouTube right out front and center.
Old 09-26-2022, 12:12 PM

I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmax View Post

I ride rollers and it would be kinda neat to have my laptop with YouTube right out front and center.
I have that exact one... picked up 2 years ago and its been great.... cheap and useful...
Old 09-26-2022, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmax View Post

Looks like they just copied the Wahoo one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K6P748E

I'm sure it works fine.
Old 09-26-2022, 12:20 PM
Sunshine

cant find a pic online of my current setup and this site doesnt give an option to upload from a phone for some reason.

- Tacx direct drive trainer and cheap front wheel holder.
- '89 Tange 1 road frame with modern 2x11 105 drivetrain.
- Zwift on a 42" TV running thru appleTV which is a really fast and seamless way to use Zwift.
- 1 fan
- Rubber mat underneath
- thong thing for sweat with clear plastic pouch to hold the remote
- cheap phone holder so I can run the zwift app and have it closeby and manage music.
- ear buds

Zwift is 50x more fun since I purchased the appleTV to connect. It loads quickly, I never have any connection issues, and the graphics are plenty fine for me. Running it on my laptop was infuriating.

Tags
paincave