Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2022, 09:37 AM

2023 Trek Domane - when to expect?

Any savants know when we should expect to see the 2023 models released? I am thinking about one of the lower end models, the SL 5, to use as an all road bike as it can run tires up to 38mm.

It could also be used with 650 wheels.

Sounds like there will be significant changes from the 2022 current models which are almost impossible to find.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 07-29-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Any savants know when we should expect to see the 2023 models released? I am thinking about one of the lower end models, the SL 5, to use as an all road bike as it can run tires up to 38mm.

It could also be used with 650 wheels.

Sounds like there will be significant changes from the 2022 current models which are almost impossible to find.

Any thoughts on this?
One of my buddies is a Trek store manager... I texted him to see if I can find out.

Also FWIW, if you ride a 58cm, I know there is a 2022 Domane SLR9 at the East Memphis Trek shop right now. I know because I'm the one that built it.

Last edited by BRad704; 07-29-2022 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-29-2022, 10:41 AM

I was just at my LBS which is major Trek dealer and we were talking about the new Madone. The owner said there's been such a big demand that shops were only allowed bikes that were already 'pre-sold' and needed to provide names /numbers of buyers. Trek went so far as to call a few of customers to confirm they indeed were going to buy it. My shop got three, and when owner said he had a 4th confirmed buyer he called Trek back and they said "sorry we're all out till Spring '23". Crazy town.

Not sure if that demand will trickle down to the Domane but if you really really want one I'd be ready to throw the cc down.
Old 07-29-2022, 12:48 PM

At that point, why even be a dealer, providing that detailed sort of info to Trek is kinda out there

Give someone an online MBA and suddenly they're running the investigation department of a bike company. Real lack of trust in the ability of their dealers

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
I was just at my LBS which is major Trek dealer and we were talking about the new Madone. The owner said there's been such a big demand that shops were only allowed bikes that were already 'pre-sold' and needed to provide names /numbers of buyers. Trek went so far as to call a few of customers to confirm they indeed were going to buy it. My shop got three, and when owner said he had a 4th confirmed buyer he called Trek back and they said "sorry we're all out till Spring '23". Crazy town.

Not sure if that demand will trickle down to the Domane but if you really really want one I'd be ready to throw the cc down.

Last edited by peanutgallery; 07-29-2022 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-29-2022, 01:20 PM

No later than mid 2023. At Pro's Closet.
Old 07-29-2022, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Ha, good one.

You know the market is crazy when Ultegra Di2 equipped bikes have a msrp of $9K.

Business investment is slowing and unfortunately layoffs have begun. September could be interesting. Some are forecasting that the Fed will be lowering rates in the first half of next year.

Ultegra Di2 bikes at $6K.
Old 08-17-2022, 08:18 AM

Any other thoughts on 2023 Domane availability ?

Haven't really seen anything on this. 2022s are very hard to find but there are a few annoying features that are supposed to be changed in 2023 models. Seat mast is gone and weight is down some supposedly.
Old 08-24-2022, 04:00 PM

I have 3 friends with new Treks due to great customer service. Sound odd?

One was on his 2nd or 3rd ride and hit a ballard with his pedal. Bike snapped in two. Not Trek's fault. Shop said so. Trek customer service sent him a new bike.

One was on his 2nd free frame (Project One) due to a warranty issue and the bottle cage mounts failed. Likely from hydration product corrosion. He hung it on a rear mount for transport, TT cracked. In my opinion, not Trek's fault. Shop said the same. Trek customer service not only sent him a new frame, he also got a loaner for 4 months.

One kept dropping chains until the gouges on the BB were concerning. Trek and shop agreed, not Trek's problem, but Trek gave 50% off a new frame. Very satisfied customer.

Given the high prices and other issues, I'm not a Trek fan at all. But I'd recommend getting one, sure.

I'd rather spend the extra $3,000 and get a new Lemond, complete with the relationship that is included in the purchase, updated kit (free), discounts on future items, town hall chats with Greg, rides with him, and being part of a brand's community.

I ride older steel, only have a carbon Colnago, but I see the advantages for my gal, who will be getting a new disc bike in the next few months. Fortunately, I can build it up myself, but a frame will be required, and some parts. I have no problem keeping her on a Trek.
Old 08-24-2022, 08:50 PM

'22 SL5s are showing 8/2023 however '23 SL framesets are available. Go figure what that means
Old 08-24-2022, 09:40 PM

We had one come through the shop recently; nice bike but it weighed 22.8 lbs for the SL 6 version with Shimano 105. Pretty porky.

Old 08-24-2022, 10:32 PM

How much of that weight is saddle and wheels?
Old 08-24-2022, 10:52 PM

No idea. I think there may have also been a tool bag in the downtube storage compartment. Nonetheless, I was still surprised by the weight for a $3,300 bike.
Old 08-25-2022, 06:34 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Just talked to my buddy at TPC Monday and they are getting calls from BIG bike shops and distributors offering to sell YUGE numbers of new bikes to them because for some models(he mentioned Santa Cruz), demand has dried up, inventory $ is killing them and they need to move inventory...He also mentioned they are generally saying no because they have 3000 complete bikes to move.
Old 08-25-2022, 07:00 AM
Steel..what else??

Some one here seems to be on the payroll.
Old 08-25-2022, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
We had one come through the shop recently; nice bike but it weighed 22.8 lbs for the SL 6 version with Shimano 105. Pretty porky.

That's an SL5 but yeah the greatest selling point and feature of SL Domane's has never been that they are lightweight (relative) bikes, it's just how many people who think they don't want or can't ride a road bike who end up on Domanes.

Newer ones will be....newer.