Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2022, 11:08 AM
DELETE ACCNT

Lets make this a reasonable discussion that speaks to the majority of users and use cases.

80% of EV owners charge at home, at night while sleeping and at work, while parked.(USDOE)
Most use L1 or L2 charging at home and would be happiest w/ L2 at home. Nothing more is required.

65% of EV owners bought a second EV in 2021
(over 90% of Tesla owners bought another Tesla, when purchasing again- obviously this will lower as others gain market share)

General driving habits in the US:

Americans drive:
-39 miles per day

-14k miles per yr
-30% of that is work commute
-76% travel alone

As stated, New car owners keep their cars on avg 8 yrs

*figures dropped 45% during the pandemic
now back up to record numbers

Though completely legitimate, charging stations and road trips with ev's are good click bait and internet debate topics, they are not real-world issues for most ev users in the US or globally.

For the majority, even globally, EV's are just a better product for the job. That's not even going into the superior daily experience and efficiency as a product.

Last edited by pasadena; 12-08-2022 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-08-2022, 03:01 PM

My wife has a plug-in hybrid Rav4, that gets about 45 miles on a charge, and about 90% of her driving is EV only. We both shudder when it has to go into ICE (hybrid) mode--it's a lot louder, for one, and it always feels as though we've regressed a decade. Our next vehicle will certainly be full EV. We charge at home with a level 2 charger.

I've looked hard at the ID.4 as well--just wish it looked a little bit more like the Tiguan or Golf wagon (or Ioniq5, for that matter), instead of an amphibious vehicle, and got a little more range. I want a car that I can drive for about 240 miles in winter on one charge.

Another under-valued advantage of EVs is their quietness--can't wait for the eventual disappearance of all those stupidly loud pick-ups, 'muscle-cars', and motorcycles, although I realize that there will be a small crowd of compensators who really love making noise who will keep those machines going until well after I die of old age.
Old 12-08-2022, 03:30 PM

Operating an EV in Switzerland could be challenging this winter

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...shortages.html
Old 12-08-2022, 04:24 PM

This is an an emergency contingency, not yet implemented. Also, it won’t be s full ban but a reduction in allowed operations.

Interestingly, a friend of mine has a significant solar roof. Not sure he can directly charge a car but anyone who can directly charge shouldn’t be affected by this, if the measure is implemented.
Old 12-08-2022, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onno View Post
quietness--can't wait for the eventual disappearance of all those stupidly loud pick-ups, 'muscle-cars', and motorcycles,
Landscapers.

This is what I'm waiting for. When quiet electric motors can take over for the G-D leaf blowers, weed whackers, etc.

I'm practically the only fool on my block who takes care of my own yard, and I'll be happy when I dont have to listen to landscapers professional equipment all day long.

I figure we have to be at least a decade+ out on real market penetration on any of that though
Old 12-08-2022, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Oh yeah prices will change. Right now you can find free chargers, that will be a thing of the past. Also some chargers are already pretty
There is also a chance that ev home chargers will have a separate meter……higher rates for charging vehicles.
Old 12-08-2022, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Landscapers.

This is what I'm waiting for. When quiet electric motors can take over for the G-D leaf blowers, weed whackers, etc.

I'm practically the only fool on my block who takes care of my own yard, and I'll be happy when I dont have to listen to landscapers professional equipment all day long.

I figure we have to be at least a decade+ out on real market penetration on any of that though
Fully behind you on that one too! After recent purchases of electric chainsaw, hedge trimmer, and weed whacker, I vowed I'd never buy ANY other ICE-powered contraptions.
Old 12-08-2022, 04:57 PM

I’ve mentioned it above, but here’s what I’ve found driving an ID.4 for over a year in Colorado:

1. There’s no real difficulty finding a charger.
2. Range drops in the cold weather by about 20% or more, but see #1.
3. We charge 2 cars at night for 3 or 4 hours each (not simultaneously). The monthly power bill has gone up slightly, about $20.
4. Since October ‘21 I haven’t had an issue or range panic. That’s 25,000 miles of driving, entirely in state.
5. During that year I’ve driven my truck (‘03 Tundra) for 2 tank’s worth of gas. That and some fuel for my plow and chainsaw are all the gas purchased for the entire family. Maybe $150. In that time I’ve paid to charge the car twice at a public fast charger, for about $10 each time.
6. The federal and state tax credits for 2 EVs (2021 tax year, before the new credits) were awesome.
7. The cars are quiet, roomy, comfortable, easy to drive, and since I’m not buying gas, cheaper than the ICEs that got 32mpg.
8. Rock solid in snow and ice with good rubber.
9. Driving hasn’t cost me this little since high school, when loose change in the ashtray would buy a full tank.

New technology is never easy, and these cars have had challenges and setbacks, but the current (heh-heh) crop is pretty good and will only improve. Chargers will become more common and less free. You won’t listen to your neighbor idle his diesel in the morning for much longer.

Lots of detractors out there in the world, lots of opinions by people who haven’t driven them, lots of misinformation and mythology. If someone is telling you about EV ownership but doesn’t own one, they probably also ride a Murray but are experts on AXS and Di2.
Old 12-08-2022, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
There is also a chance that ev home chargers will have a separate meter……higher rates for charging vehicles.
Will likely be the opposite because the power at night is cheaper and helps the utilities out by filling in the trough in demand
Old 12-08-2022, 05:27 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Seperate meter for a 220 outlet... how does that work? Everyone with a electric dryer going to pay extra?
220 Space heaters and power tools required to be on a seperate meter?
City going to go around and count all your NEMA 14-50 outlets and charge you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
To me, one of the exciting things is the ability to completely power the car with home solar. I'm hoping there is something substantive in credits for solar in 2023.
Old 12-08-2022, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Will likely be the opposite because the power at night is cheaper and helps the utilities out by filling in the trough in demand
That makes sense…….but I’m thinking road tax no matter when you charge.
Old 12-08-2022, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Landscapers.

OMG, tell me about it! I will often make a passive aggressive point and 30 minutes after 2 guys start blowing a few leaves around in a neighbors yard, I will rake my yard, finish 20 minutes later and then listen to them blow for another 30. That being said I bought I think E Go from Lowes. The leaf blower, not even the top level one, kicks ass, the mower is good, chainsaw - meh, although I think it’s the chain more than the battery.
Old 12-08-2022, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Landscapers.

We bought an Ego electric leaf blower this fall and it's been a revelation.
I used to do all the leaves myself.
It turns out that when the leaf blower is a manageable weight, quiet, and not spewing gas/oil fumes my wife will take it out and enjoy using it.
I highly recommend!
Old 12-08-2022, 06:51 PM

got one too

good. Mine blows not only leaves but rocks too .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
It turns out that when the leaf blower is a manageable weight, quiet, and not spewing gas/oil fumes my wife will take it out and enjoy using it.
I highly recommend!
Old 12-09-2022, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
I highly recommend!
We too have shifted to the Ego group. As you note, the leaf blower is terrific, and will even blow snow off the walk if it is not totally wet. The string trimmer is good, the chain saw excellent, and the little lawn mower is just fine. Swapping batteries is easy.

All the small ICE property maintenance equipment is not good at all from an emission perspective. Getting away from all that seems like real progress.