Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2022, 08:32 AM

at least our prime enemies during that conflict, japan + germany, are now among our strongest allies.

now, about those confederate states...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
Has faded from the headlines every year and is all but forgotten at this point. Not a political thread, but a reminder to take a minute and reflect on those who gave all so that we could have things like this silly message board about bikes.
Old 12-08-2022, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouDeeter View Post
December 7 in Hawaii was December 8 in the Philippines. My Dad was a 2LT with the Army Infantry when the Japanese attacked the two airfields there, Clark & Nichols Fields. Four months later, he and over 70,000 other American and Filipino soldiers would be captured as Bataan fell. It would be another month before the island fortress of Corregidor would fall. And the rest as they say, is history.

Wow, that’s incredible Lou. The sheer will to be able to come through that experience is enormous. Your father must have/is a remarkable man.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2022, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloduffer View Post
Wow, that’s incredible Lou. The sheer will to be able to come through that experience is enormous. Your father must have/is a remarkable man.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Anyone who survived WWII was remarkable. The forgotten are the Army and Navy nurses who were captured on Bataan, and elsewhere. Most continued to provide nursing care to other POWs for the duration of the war, which would have been 3 1/2 years for them. My Dad ended up in like 4 different POW camps, last one in Japan. While they received airdrops of supplies within a couple of days of the Japanese surrender, it would be almost a month before they would leave Japan, mostly on ships that would take them to the west coast. My Dad would find out when he arrived and called home that one of his older brothers had died a month before the end of the war against Germany, in Italy and that his other brother had been pulled from the front lines in Germany, like Saving Private Ryan, after their Mom had written the President. They also had two sisters who served.