Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 11-28-2022, 09:25 AM
charliedid's Avatar
charliedid charliedid is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloduffer View Post
These are Farsport FSD30CM-28T-SUD rims, weigh about 340g. I can't find info on the weight of the Bontrager rims but can't be lower.
RSL 37 rim is 390g.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-01-2022, 08:13 PM
century century is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloduffer View Post
I searched and this was the only bike within 75 miles of me - the shop just got it and I picked it up after work. I got intrigued by this bike after reading some reviews and seeing the changes in the Gen 4 model - a bit more aero, simpler ISO coupler and good reduction in weight. This bike (56cm) weighs a shade over 17 lbs. I think I can drop more weight with lighter wheels (Farsports Feder) and tires (Pirelli P Zero). I need to reduce the spacers to dial in the fit and may switch the bars to a Ritchey Streem Aero.

I took it out on a quick ride today and was surprised at the seemingly lively ride - felt lighter than my OPEN U.P. (which is only 1 lb more) -- and how well it held speed.

The paint scheme is a bit meh but the decals are holographic-like, which stands out some. When I switch bars, I will put a nice Celeste-colored tape which will look sharp against the all-black.
Sweet bike! I just checked out all the bikes in your stable.. wow, you've got a great collection. Love it!

Three Questions:
1) I was curious what review/features drew you to this one?
2) What was it providing that your other bikes in the stable were lacking?
3) What's your overall short term verdict of it now?

(I'm asking because I'm interested in this bike vs. some other bikes similar in your stable)

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-02-2022, 05:48 PM
veloduffer's Avatar
veloduffer veloduffer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Morris County, NJ
Posts: 3,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by century View Post
Sweet bike! I just checked out all the bikes in your stable.. wow, you've got a great collection. Love it!

Three Questions:
1) I was curious what review/features drew you to this one?
2) What was it providing that your other bikes in the stable were lacking?
3) What's your overall short term verdict of it now?

(I'm asking because I'm interested in this bike vs. some other bikes similar in your stable)

Thanks in advance.
A few things that drew my immediate attention is that the Domane is that it is designed to be a race bike with endurance/gravel capabilities, which has led to changes that make it more aerodynamic (tubes, fork) and lighter in weight. It has enough stiffness to race and feel immediately responsive to power but still have a certain amount of flex to feel lively, like when standing to climb - feels more like the bike is working with you than against you. Also it's designed to have good handling stability to carve through long winding turns - also makes for riding with no hands much easier to eat and remove or add clothes.

Two other changes that I liked are the new stem with cleaner look and more standard seat post (no ISP, but unfortunately D-shaped). Also the new Verse saddle is pretty comfortable (I use Fizik Arione VS saddles on all my bikes except the Merckx and Beargrease).

My other bikes (OPEN, Seven) feel a bit more sluggish and more preferable for gravel. Good all-around bikes, though. I like the Domane, thus far, a lot and might shed one or two other bikes.
__________________
My Bikes
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-03-2022, 05:49 PM
century century is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Posts: 12
Thanks for the reply. I was considering a custom Ti bike (I've never ridden one) vs. this Domane. How would you say they compare against your Ti bikes?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-03-2022, 06:25 PM
century century is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Posts: 12
FYI - New SRAM Groupset

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloduffer View Post
Thanks - I already have the Feder wheels (1260 grams), so it was already spent. All my bikes are switching to SRAM so it can be used across the stable.
FYI: The new SRAM Force groupset is coming in March I've heard from a very reliable source (he has access to supply chain ordering at a very well known bike company). He didn't mention Red, but we were only discussing Force, so it might be safe to assume Red will be coming as well. So if you're switching, maybe hold off for a few months.

Last edited by century; 12-03-2022 at 08:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-03-2022, 10:52 PM
veloduffer's Avatar
veloduffer veloduffer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Morris County, NJ
Posts: 3,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by century View Post
Thanks for the reply. I was considering a custom Ti bike (I've never ridden one) vs. this Domane. How would you say they compare against your Ti bikes?
It's more ti-like than other carbon bikes in that it feels lively and not hollow. But not all ti bikes ride alike - differences in tubing (butted, straight, thickness, diameter) and geometry can change the feel of the ride. Plus rider weight, style (spinner vs masher) are also factors on feel. Also, the wheels and tires also play a part as well.

Who is building your custom ti?
__________________
My Bikes
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-03-2022, 11:18 PM
century century is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloduffer View Post
It's more ti-like than other carbon bikes in that it feels lively and not hollow. But not all ti bikes ride alike - differences in tubing (butted, straight, thickness, diameter) and geometry can change the feel of the ride. Plus rider weight, style (spinner vs masher) are also factors on feel. Also, the wheels and tires also play a part as well.

Who is building your custom ti?
I was still shopping around. Your collection of Ti was pretty impressive, so thats why it caught my eye when you liked the Domane. From my research on this forum I was looking at:
  • Bingham Built
  • Hampsten (I guess these are Bingham welded?)
  • Holland Cycles in San Diego
  • Moots (from your posts this was your least favorite I read)

The Domane caught my eye because of its geometry, and tire clearance. The reviews are starting to come back pretty excellent on it from everyone who's owned one, which surprised me.

My previous bikes:
2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4
2017 Emonda ALR 5
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-04-2022, 01:55 PM
century century is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloduffer View Post
It's more ti-like than other carbon bikes in that it feels lively and not hollow. But not all ti bikes ride alike - differences in tubing (butted, straight, thickness, diameter) and geometry can change the feel of the ride. Plus rider weight, style (spinner vs masher) are also factors on feel. Also, the wheels and tires also play a part as well.

Who is building your custom ti?
I had a question I've been grinding on. In your opinion why would someone go custom carbon vs. Ti. For example I was looking at Crumpton, but it seems hard to find any worthwhile reviews. The ones I do find seem to love it, but I can't figure out why. Is it just fit?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-06-2022, 10:19 AM
veloduffer's Avatar
veloduffer veloduffer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Morris County, NJ
Posts: 3,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by century View Post
I had a question I've been grinding on. In your opinion why would someone go custom carbon vs. Ti. For example I was looking at Crumpton, but it seems hard to find any worthwhile reviews. The ones I do find seem to love it, but I can't figure out why. Is it just fit?
In general, carbon will be lighter and depending on how it is made, can be a bit more tailored in terms of flex in specific areas (e.g. thinner seat stays for more comfort). Titanium will be a bit more limited since it depends on various tubes - diameter, wall thickness, cold-work, etc. Also, carbon might be cheaper due to materials and labor; making a mistake on titanium tubing gets expensive and it requires good skill level to weld properly.

For most of the population, they're probably close in weight and I think it becomes more pronounced if the rider is very light or heavy.

The main downside to carbon is that it can break/crack more easily in a crash and the paint will chip from pebbles/rocks hitting it. Titanium is very hard and can withstand crashes much better. It is less affected by chips (unless painted) and can be refinished - certain brush finishes can be buffed out with a Scotch Pad (ask your builder first). If you want a more "lifetime" bike, then choose titanium.
__________________
My Bikes
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-07-2022, 10:41 PM
century century is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloduffer View Post
In general, carbon will be lighter and depending on how it is made, can be a bit more tailored in terms of flex in specific areas (e.g. thinner seat stays for more comfort). Titanium will be a bit more limited since it depends on various tubes - diameter, wall thickness, cold-work, etc. Also, carbon might be cheaper due to materials and labor; making a mistake on titanium tubing gets expensive and it requires good skill level to weld properly.

For most of the population, they're probably close in weight and I think it becomes more pronounced if the rider is very light or heavy.

The main downside to carbon is that it can break/crack more easily in a crash and the paint will chip from pebbles/rocks hitting it. Titanium is very hard and can withstand crashes much better. It is less affected by chips (unless painted) and can be refinished - certain brush finishes can be buffed out with a Scotch Pad (ask your builder first). If you want a more "lifetime" bike, then choose titanium.
That makes sense. Thanks for that in-depth reply.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.