Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2019, 04:04 PM

Gravel advice

Building up an older S Works frameset to use in CX and gravel events.

I have the option to use either Shimano 105 10 speed, Ultegra 11 or Force 11 shifters.
- which do you recommend and why?
- what front and rear derailleurs? I plan to use a 12/34 or 11/34 cassette.
- Avid canti brakes
- Ardennes Plus wheels with Kenda tires.

Thanks.

Rob
Old 08-08-2019, 05:21 PM

I did about half a dozen gravel events on my Gunnar Crosshairs before I invested in a disc brake gravel bike (Coconino). I ran Dura Ace 7400 series STI and derailleurs with TRP Mini-V's. I used 38/44 chainrings on a 7410 crankset (130 spacing, smallest is the 38). I used a 36 spoke PW hubbed wheelset with 35mm Conti tires with tubes. I never felt limited by my bike unless it was raining.

These days I run Ultegra 8000 with 36/46 and a 11-32 cassette. Am I any faster? Nope, but I feel better bombing down a hill with a turn at the bottom. Also, a tubeless wheelset with 35+ mm Gravelkings or similar comes in handy. Sometimes a promoter's idea of gravel might differ from yours and you don't want to get a pinch flat.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:27 PM

Do you already have 11 or 10 speed cassette/chain/derailleurs of any kind? You can make that gearing range work on any of them, so I'd be inclined to choose whichever would require less new purchases.

I'd recommend TRP CX8.4 mini-V brakes for the additional stopping power, unless you expect a lot of mud.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:03 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

11sp because of the clutched derailleurs. Keeps slap down. I didn't realize how much till I rode my Ritchey that doesn't have the clutch rear derailleur.

If you must run cable brakes, get the Yokozuna or Juin Tech stuff and run compressionless housing.

If you're running rim brakes, get the TRP mini-Vs (8.4s?) cause they actually stop. If you're racing, well... TRP Revo-X are close, but have more mud clearance

HTH

M
Old 08-08-2019, 08:26 PM

CX and gravel have different requirements. If you’re settling up a bike to do both, it will be a compromise. If you think you’ll be doing more CX, I’d go single chainring. With your choice of cassettes, I’d use a 42T chainring. For a bike that will hit more gravel (and likely more climbing), I’d go with a double crank with 46/34 or 44/32 chainrings. Regardless of the type of cantilever brakes you use, I recommend Kool Stop salmon pads. Have fun!

Greg
Old 08-08-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
11sp because of the clutched derailleurs. Keeps slap down. I didn't realize how much till I rode my Ritchey that doesn't have the clutch rear derailleur.

If you must run cable brakes, get the Yokozuna or Juin Tech stuff and run compressionless housing.

If you're running rim brakes, get the TRP mini-Vs (8.4s?) cause they actually stop. If you're racing, well... TRP Revo-X are close, but have more mud clearance

HTH

M
SRAM has clutched RDs for 1x10 or 2x10 also.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:45 PM
Princess Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterPA View Post
Building up an older S Works frameset to use in CX and gravel events.

I have the option to use either Shimano 105 10 speed, Ultegra 11 or Force 11 shifters.
- which do you recommend and why?
- what front and rear derailleurs? I plan to use a 12/34 or 11/34 cassette.
- Avid canti brakes
- Ardennes Plus wheels with Kenda tires.

Thanks.

Rob

your drive train makes less of a difference than your brake tire choice and fitness.

1x vs 2x. can your legs handle the jumps or not having a "bailout" gear?
how long of gravel rides are you doing? 60 miles is different than 130 or 200. 60 miles is different than 45 minutes on a cx course.

Last edited by false_Aest; 08-08-2019 at 10:53 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:58 PM

I'd run the Ultegra 11 - more range is nice for gravel riding and the 11sp front derailleur is so much better than the 10s. You could run the clutched Ultegra mech if you feel the need.

To echo everyone elses thoughts, TRP 8.4 mini-vs are a must.

Don't worry about the bike not being good enough for gravel - if you're racing cross it'll be great and for gravel it will do just fine. I've ridden plenty of miles in the gravel on my rim brake CX bike and it's been totally capable and fun.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:31 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
I'd run the Ultegra 11 - more range is nice for gravel riding and the 11sp front derailleur is so much better than the 10s. You could run the clutched Ultegra mech if you feel the need.

To echo everyone elses thoughts, TRP 8.4 mini-vs are a must.

Don't worry about the bike not being good enough for gravel - if you're racing cross it'll be great and for gravel it will do just fine. I've ridden plenty of miles in the gravel on my rim brake CX bike and it's been totally capable and fun.
Gravel bikes are effectively like touring bikes vs 'racing' road bikes.

Little slacker. Little longer. etc

Ride whatcha got and don't be too worried about what it's called.

M
Old 08-09-2019, 07:36 AM

Gravel Advice

Thanks for the advice.

Planned gravel events are in the 30-75 mile range. Some events will have some long grades, with fairly steep sections (I don’t have % grades). The frameset limits me to a 40 front tire, 36 rear, but I think I can get a 38 in there if the course isn’t too muddy.

On my road and TT bikes I use Campy Record and Chorus 10 speed and would have liked to use some left over parts to build up the frameset. But the largest cassette I found is a 30 Centaur, which for a bail out gravel isn’t low enough. Almost everyone I know ride Shimano or SRAM and have left over components I can use, which is why I asked for advice on 10 & 11 speed.

Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks again.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:41 AM

My advice would be to get a good dust mask

I would get a CX bike with Ultegra 11 if I were in your shoes. Of course if you are already used to SRAM on another bike then that would be a better choice.

Someone mentioned the Salmon pads, best pads for AL rims. For Carbon get something like Swiss Stop Yellow.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:09 PM

105 10 speed is crap. I hated it more than I hated Sora.