Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2018, 07:34 AM

Vintage PX10 Replacing components -Value-

I recently obtained a vintage 1972 Peugeot PX10 in exceptional condition , everything is original but the brake cable housing are showing age and are cracked ..wondering if it would affect value much if i were to replace them with newer cables/housings ?
Old 07-20-2018, 07:46 AM
That guy..

keep the old stuff if you're worried about resale.

replace cables/housing/brake pads it if you plan on riding it.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amocat View Post
I recently obtained a vintage 1972 Peugeot PX10 in exceptional condition , everything is original but the brake cable housing are showing age and are cracked ..wondering if it would affect value much if i were to replace them with newer cables/housings ?
Except for the very rare cases of "time capsule" bikes that might be kept original and used as wall art, in my mind it's generally conceded that certain consumables need to be replaced so that the bike can be ridden. In my opinion, old bikes are a form of performance art...it's fun to look at them but even better to ride them and experience that part of the sport's history.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:01 AM

PX10s are valued on the classic market above bikes of a similar quality. The primary reason is that they were sold by the thousands during the bike boom so like a VW Beetle they are an icon. They were unique, funky and French. They are also highly valued because they ride well. The disaster for something like a PX10 is when somebody starts "upgrading" it with modern components (at any time in its history). They are one of those rare bikes where the whole is generally worth more than the sum of the parts...Peugeot is the quintessential working class bike. They were definitely made to be used and not looked at. Even if their paint/chrome/finishing wasn't of the highest standard, the frames were always stuck together well and they were unusually well aligned.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:15 AM

Go here https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/

I have a 69 PX-10e and it is a really nice riding bike. You owe it to yourself to clean yours up and take it on some long rides.

Edit: don't replace the cables yet. Lube them some and see how they work.

Last edited by classtimesailer; 07-20-2018 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktng View Post
keep the old stuff if you're worried about resale.

replace cables/housing/brake pads it if you plan on riding it.
I do plan to ride it but not as much as my other bikes .. every now and then i would like to take it out of course !
Old 07-20-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
Except for the very rare cases of "time capsule" bikes that might be kept original and used as wall art, in my mind it's generally conceded that certain consumables need to be replaced so that the bike can be ridden. In my opinion, old bikes are a form of performance art...it's fun to look at them but even better to ride them and experience that part of the sport's history.
Its sort of a time capsule ..came with Mafac tool pouch under seat , Silca pump and everything is original down to tubulars besides being weather cracked still hold air !
Old 07-20-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classtimesailer View Post
Go here https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/

I have a 69 PX-10e and it is a really nice riding bike. You owe it to yourself to clean yours up and take it on some long rides.

Edit: don't replace the cables yet. Lube them some and see how they work.
The cables all work just fine and are still usable as-is but replacing the casing being cracked is just in fact an esthetic aspect i wanted to change if the overhaul value is not much affected !

Thanks to all who replied ..
Old 07-20-2018, 09:47 AM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Pics?
Old 07-20-2018, 10:15 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
No it won’t effect value significantly. Match the color.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:59 AM

Heres a quick pic i took , does not have the oem wheels on it since i took them off to polish ..same goes with everything else it will get cleaned/polished and waxed !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4455.jpg (97.9 KB, 210 views)
Old 07-20-2018, 12:01 PM

Another view , camera pics are not the greatest quality but gives you guys an idea !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4456.jpg (137.2 KB, 206 views)
Old 07-20-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
No it won’t effect value significantly. Match the color.
Thanks , was looking at black but i might stick with white now that u mention !
Old 07-20-2018, 12:44 PM

Does that have the original Peugeot grooved cable housings? You can still get replacements for those kinds of vintage housings. Best of both worlds.

I've bought and sold a huge range of bikes ranging from Rickerts to Pogs to Confentes to Gitanes to Frejus' to Eisentrauts to whatever. I've never been docked for brake cable housings. But if you want the perfect look, the vintage housings are out there.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
Does that have the original Peugeot grooved cable housings? You can still get replacements for those kinds of vintage housings. Best of both worlds.

I've bought and sold a huge range of bikes ranging from Rickerts to Pogs to Confentes to Gitanes to Frejus' to Eisentrauts to whatever. I've never been docked for brake cable housings. But if you want the perfect look, the vintage housings are out there.
Yeah i will be looking for vintage period correct brake cables and housing before going to new stuff if i have to - it does have grooved cable housing for both deraillers but not brakes ..does this mean they were replacements ?