Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2018, 07:49 PM

Another Tire Size Rant/Warning

Soma Shikoro. Okay looking, nice tread (for what they're meant for), supposed to be durable and ride pretty good. Okay, I bought a pair. 700X38c. I'm a little apprehensive, a 38 would be right at the limit of what'll fit in the frame I'm thinking of... if they're a "generous" 38, I might be in trouble.

I needn't have lost any sleep. The 700X38 Shikoro inflates to 34.5mm on a TB14 rim.

But now I'm REALLY scared, because I've also ordered a pair of the 700X48s, and for what I've got in mind for them, they've got to be really monstrously, obscenely fat. And if they show up as anemic and underdeveloped as the 38s -- well, look, there's too many tires for sale in my town for this.

I'd like to hear anybody else's experiences. (What I'd REALLY like is I'd like the size of a tire to be, you know, ...marked on the tire! But, ha-ha, I'd like world peace too. Joke's on me, I guess.) Do these things behave differently with different rims? Have they notoriously been, and I just didn't get the word, wildly inaccurate in size? Are all Soma tires small? Is my ancient Sears-Roebuck Italian-made vernier micrometer miscalibrated?

I know, I know, first-world problem. I'll quit whining and ride 'em. But dang, why's it got to be such an ordeal to get the right size tires?
Old 07-18-2018, 08:03 PM

This is like when women complain about clothing sizes not being standardized.

But yeah this (and clothing sizes!) should really be standardized and followed. If you say your tire is a certain width, it should be that width, dammit.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:24 PM

I bought a pair of 42mm (advertised) Schwalbe Marathon Supremes that measured 36mm on 23mm o-o rims and had 40-622 molded on the sidewall. With todays plethora of rim widths, supple tires that grow significantly with age and what exactly the size number really means (width or height, brand new vs mature, on what rim, etc), it's certainly a moving target for the tire manufacturers.

I'm currently running Grand Bois Cypres that sold as 30s, were 29mm when originally installed on older, narrow rims. After a year or so they were 32 on some 'wide' (23mm) rims only to reach 34mm a couple years on with the help of 25mm HED Pluses.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post

I'm currently running Grand Bois Cypres that sold as 30s, were 29mm when originally installed on older, narrow rims. After a year or so they were 32 on some 'wide' (23mm) rims only to reach 34mm a couple years on with the help of 25mm HED Pluses.

Sheesh, what kind of air are you using? Those tires absolutely require organic, gluten-free, grass-fed, free-range air. If you're using farm-raised or synthetic air, you are going to see all sorts of anomalies.

The only synthetic stuff I use is Pentosin synthetic blinker fluid, in my Audi. I find it's less likely to let the smoke out of the electrical system and the blinkers don't slow down in the cold.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 07-18-2018, 11:02 PM

Products made from rubber... Nothing to be done. Doubt your butt can tell a difference.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Sheesh, what kind of air are you using? ...
Only 100% "natural", 110% SKY approved alpine air.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomridesout View Post
Products made from rubber... Nothing to be done. Doubt your butt can tell a difference.
Maybe not, but your frame can (if it's bigger than advertised) and your eyes can.

Also, a shocking amount of comfort on a bike is placebo. If your eyes can tell, your butt will think it can tell.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:04 AM

@cribbit not just women. People.

As a European I can tell you that the T shirt and jacket sizes in the U.S. are always two numbers bigger for me. I wear M in U.S. and XL in Europe!
Old 07-19-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambee View Post

As a European I can tell you that the T shirt and jacket sizes in the U.S. are always two numbers bigger for me. I wear M in U.S. and XL in Europe!
Fat creep...

This has been happening in the last decade or so--all clothing makers (men's and Women's) have been continually revising their fit kits to follow their fattening market.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:50 AM
Pack fill

Quote:

Europe needs more Golden Corral buffets, then sizes will become standardized 😋
Old 07-19-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachagua View Post
Soma Shikoro. Okay looking, nice tread (for what they're meant for), supposed to be durable and ride pretty good. Okay, I bought a pair. 700X38c. I'm a little apprehensive, a 38 would be right at the limit of what'll fit in the frame I'm thinking of... if they're a "generous" 38, I might be in trouble.

I needn't have lost any sleep. The 700X38 Shikoro inflates to 34.5mm on a TB14 rim.

But now I'm REALLY scared, because I've also ordered a pair of the 700X48s, and for what I've got in mind for them, they've got to be really monstrously, obscenely fat. And if they show up as anemic and underdeveloped as the 38s -- well, look, there's too many tires for sale in my town for this.

I'd like to hear anybody else's experiences. (What I'd REALLY like is I'd like the size of a tire to be, you know, ...marked on the tire! But, ha-ha, I'd like world peace too. Joke's on me, I guess.) Do these things behave differently with different rims? Have they notoriously been, and I just didn't get the word, wildly inaccurate in size? Are all Soma tires small? Is my ancient Sears-Roebuck Italian-made vernier micrometer miscalibrated?

I know, I know, first-world problem. I'll quit whining and ride 'em. But dang, why's it got to be such an ordeal to get the right size tires?
I think that rim is too narrow for a 38mm tire.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:17 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Sheesh, what kind of air are you using? Those tires absolutely require organic, gluten-free, grass-fed, free-range air. If you're using farm-raised or synthetic air, you are going to see all sorts of anomalies.

The only synthetic stuff I use is Pentosin synthetic blinker fluid, in my Audi. I find it's less likely to let the smoke out of the electrical system and the blinkers don't slow down in the cold.
POY

Post of Yesterday
Old 07-19-2018, 09:26 AM

How soon after mounting did you measure the tires? In my experience, tires will stretch quite a bit in the first couple days, especially if they're nice tires with a supple casing. One of my Panaracer GravelKings stretched almost 2.5mm in the first week.

http://ride-or-pie.blogspot.com/2018...ravelking.html
Old 07-19-2018, 10:05 AM

I have the Soma Shikoro 38's on 23mm wide rims. They measure out at exactly 38mm. Great tires btw for both road and gravel.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:

But how will people understand the joke if I don't include some latent sexism*?

your size issues are because of superior American bodies being bigger!

*as much as men's sizes have a similar issue, the women's fashion industry is really messed up and is ten times worse

Last edited by cribbit; 07-19-2018 at 10:42 AM.