Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2018, 06:58 PM

I'm lucky to be alive

Was going to vote mountain lion before reading the response from the Forest Service. Bobcats are chubbier.

I saw an adult mountain lion in the Verdugo Mountains a few years ago. I came around a bend and 200 feet up the road I saw a giant dog, whose eyes glowed like a cat's. I thought, "that dog has weird eyes." Then, I froze in terror and realized I was being watched by a giant cat. I did exactly what you're not 'sposed to do in that situation. Mean Streets!

Last edited by beeatnik; 07-19-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:10 PM
Vendor

Wow, was that on Railroad Grade? I saw a mountain lion in Downieville once a long, long time ago. Nice bike.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:34 PM

Old 07-18-2018, 07:46 PM

Young (still has spots) cougar. Just this past May there was a mountain biker who was killed by a cougar just east of Seattle. Extremely rare, however.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:48 PM

I would make SURE I never rode alone up there and that I always had bear spray and a stout stick. They are cats. They can't stand letting something go by quickly without jumping on it.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
I would make SURE I never rode alone up there and that I always had bear spray and a stout stick. They are cats. They can't stand letting something go by quickly without jumping on it.
Man, I rather have a gun*. Bear spray has a major blowback problem.

*I do not plan on doing that.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:28 PM

[QUOTE=texasbbq;2396820]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
This is the exact email the Forest Service Biologist sent me after speaking with him and then sending him the pictures.

"Thank you very much. You were being watched by a mountain lion."

So he thinks it is a mountain lion.

Oohh, whole different vibe then. I'd get some pepper spray.
No need for the pepper spray.

If a mountain lion is going to eat you, it will come as a surprise. You will not have time to grab your pepper spray.

In my neck of the woods, we have coyotes. Different issue. I do carry pepper spray and a bear bell. I don't want to surprise them!

Funny, I've never seen them while running or riding on the 1100 acres of conservation land next to our neighborhood. On the other hand, one or two saunter through our back yard almost every night, usually around 2 am. Last week one came through around 8 pm! (I use a Blink XT as a trail cam).
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 07-18-2018, 09:54 PM

That was 100% a mountain lion. Seen them many times growing up in Tucson. Worse time was exiting Sabino Canyon at the top of a hill right before the descent to the parking lot! Man... I never pedaled harder in my life.

I’m surprised we don’t run into them more often gravel riding!

****!!! That is railroad grade!!

Last edited by Duende; 07-18-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duende View Post
That was 100% a mountain lion. Seen them many times growing up in Tucson. Worse time was exiting Sabino Canyon at the top of a hill right before the descent to the parking lot! Man... I never pedaled harder in my life.

I’m surprised we don’t run into them more often gravel riding
It is the second one I have seen. The first one was a big one walking in the pasture on the north side of SFD as you descend into Olema. That one scared me. This one not so much. It was not that big. The Forest Ranger thinks its a 2 year old male.

Yeah it was on RRG!!!!
Old 07-18-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
It is the second one I have seen. The first one was a big one walking in the pasture on the north side of SFD as you descend into Olema. That one scared me. This one not so much. It was not that big. The Forest Ranger thinks its a 2 year old male.

Yeah it was on RRG!!!!
I think they are beautiful creatures. A mechanic at a bike store I worked at used to carry a gun with him on rides. Always thought that was macho BS. Better to ride with a buddy or group.

Unfortunately, I’m usually solo
Old 07-18-2018, 10:28 PM

[QUOTE=C40_guy;2396900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbbq View Post

No need for the pepper spray.

If a mountain lion is going to eat you, it will come as a surprise. You will not have time to grab your pepper spray.

In my neck of the woods, we have coyotes. Different issue. I do carry pepper spray and a bear bell. I don't want to surprise them!

Funny, I've never seen them while running or riding on the 1100 acres of conservation land next to our neighborhood. On the other hand, one or two saunter through our back yard almost every night, usually around 2 am. Last week one came through around 8 pm! (I use a Blink XT as a trail cam).
Pepper spray on a chest holster not the bike with the right frame of mind will definately be better than nothing. It's going to take the cat a little while to "eat you." Even skinny azz bike riders!
Old 07-18-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwabra View Post
thats awesome. if I die by a mountain lion so be it. thats a rare rare thing to witness. you know your riding some BA terrain when you have time to snap a pic of a cougar. wow.
You are probably more likely to encounter coyotes, although there have been lots of reports of "panther" sightings in our area. I was making hay all weekend, had a big coyote following the tractor. He would walk between the corn rows right next to the tractor as I was mowing. Pretty brave for a coyote in daylight. I'm sure he was just looking for mice and rabbits, but 30 years ago you couldn't have gotten that close to one under any circumstance.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
You are probably more likely to encounter coyotes, although there have been lots of reports of "panther" sightings in our area. I was making hay all weekend, had a big coyote following the tractor. He would walk between the corn rows right next to the tractor as I was mowing. Pretty brave for a coyote in daylight. I'm sure he was just looking for mice and rabbits, but 30 years ago you couldn't have gotten that close to one under any circumstance.
I used to live in north central Washington in foothills of cascades. Was working and playing in mountain lion habitat daily for 6 years never saw one. Always new I had surely been watched but never actually got to see one in wild.
I’ve had coyotes run next to me on gravel roads at night a time or two here in Iowa but they don’t unnerve me at all.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:51 AM

I'm not big cat expert but that 44 sure is R.A.D!

Meow!
Old 07-19-2018, 08:16 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

A couple of years ago I encountered a Florida Panther while riding on Sanibel Island.

I saw a dark brown animal cross the street about 50 yards in front of me. I thought it was a Labrador Retriever at first and then realized the Head was all wrong.

Cool and a bit unnerving all at the same time.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.