Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-16-2018, 09:06 PM

Adjusting reach on older 9 speed Ultegra levers

Anybody have any good cheap fixes for adjusting the reach on older 9 speed Ultegra shifters for small hands? I can’t find any of older shifter wedges at local shops. I have zip tie holding it close now but can’t shift with that. Having trouble getting home made wedge to stay put. Any slick ideas on this one?
Old 07-16-2018, 09:20 PM

I didn't think there was a way to adjust the reach on them. I've just had a look at mine and the only way I think you might be able to come up with something workable is to try and make some sort of homemade wedge that you could jam in there. I have small hands and just live with the way they are (and I ride about 99.9% of the time on the hoods or top of the bars)
Old 07-16-2018, 09:35 PM

Those things are the better part of 15 years old and if the reach is a problem, just get the new Soras. They have reach adjustment, better hand position,hidden cable and work better than that 9 spd Ultegra ever did. Those things all break eventually
Old 07-16-2018, 09:40 PM

who knew??? Specialized Slim Shim

https://www.eriksbikeshop.com/specia...pa6936/product
Old 07-16-2018, 09:41 PM

Google "Brake Lever Shim" or "Shimano Reach Adjustment Shim" and you'll find some options.

I don't think they made shims for the 6500 Series 9 speed lever, BL-6500.

You can probably take a shim suited for a more recent vintage and superglue it in place.

Specialized makes a shim as well. I Googled "Specialized Brake Lever Shim" and got some good leads.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:27 PM

I bought some of the Specialized ones off of of ebay a few years back. If I recall they we're putting them on the Dolce WSD bikes for a couple of years. I don't know why, but when I was looking they were still a stock item in other countries except the US.

If you find them use a better adhesive than what comes on them. I haven't lost one, but they've shifted (no pun intended) position.

I may have a spare pair, but won't be home until the beginning of Aug. to look. Once these go, I'll probably upgrade to a more modern levers / group as others have suggested. I'll be needing new hoods soon and for what I'm seeing pricewise its just not worth it.