Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2018, 10:10 AM
Princess Sweat

Customer Service + Communication

April 19th -- your item will be ready to ship within 2 weeks.

Well, as of last Friday it finally shipped. Too many emails + phone calls asking for updates. Too many "it'll ship next week." The guy threw in a few extras which is cool but . . . I would've been happy paying for those extras if I received this thing 10 weeks ago.

The thing is, I've been dealing with supplier issues all year (Shimano has been late with a lot of OEM stuff all year). Heck, a shipment of warranty parts was delayed 3.5 months. I also know that family and other stuff can get in the way when you're a small biz. The key to keeping a customer happy: communication.

Just update me and tell me "I still love you, baby." and we're probably good. That's what I do to my customers and 90% of the time they're OK. And, because I'm keeping them updated, I don't have to send apology notes, chocolate and flowers along with a new fender, hub, saddle, etc.

As someone who is in customer service and deals with broken shizzle all day long . . . . customer service isn't that hard to do right.

</rant>
Old 07-20-2018, 10:13 AM
aka RAEKWON

Totally agree. I get it some times things don't go as planned but just update people.

I have been waiting for a bike frame that was suppose to arrive in 3 weeks, its now almost week 9 and nothing. But everything I message I get an answer right away and I appreciate that. TBH I would have probably cancel the order if this shop had not been on top of their stuff and always very good communication.

Good communication will let you keep customers
Old 07-20-2018, 02:49 PM

At least you are getting updates, thats a great thing!...
Old 07-20-2018, 03:19 PM

I had an odd experience earlier this week.

One final part needed to complete a project, I called the supplier (a machine shop) this Tuesday to see when the part would be done and was told next Friday, July 27th. I contacted my customer to inform them that it'd be another week and a half until we could deliver the completed system.

The next day, yesterday, the part arrives from the machine shop. Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot? Yes, that's a good thing in part, but I get to call my customer and let them know I'm clearly a DA and the system will now be delivered on schedule.

COMMUNICATION !

Last edited by donevwil; 07-20-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:32 PM

I had a close friend that was one of the best restoration gunsmiths in the nation. His speciality was Winchester firearms. His business was eventually sunk due to cs issues. As his friend it was VERY tough to see the wheels slowly come off.