Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2022, 07:17 AM

Agreed, no chance they'll lose 6-0. They're in! Anyone going to Qatar to watch them?
Old 03-28-2022, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
There is just enough of a crack in the door that I wouldn't totally discount some amazing collapse come Wednesday.
Care to quantify the size of this crack?

Also, i presume you know how forfeitures are accredited to the winners and losers?

I hope the MNT forfeits the match, for it would be a surefire way of finishing third or above, and it wouldnt be out of place in the sh**housing quagmire of Concacaf. Unfortunately, a bit too much integrity with MNT, that it probably won’t do this.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

@BobC, i think you’ll find that it is the MNT that got thumped 4-0 last time it played in CR for a WC qualifier, which was the last game of Klinnsman’s charge. MNT scraped by CR 2-1 earlier this qualification window.

Last edited by echappist; 03-28-2022 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-28-2022, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Nope.

The Ticos are not very good. Slow & plodding. USMNT high pressed them last time & won impressively 4-0.
We didn't think we'd lose at Trinidad and Tobago either.

It's this kind of attitude that got US Soccer to where it's been the last half decade.

We've never won in Costa Rica. Are we likely to lose 6-0? Of course not. Do we have to go play and make sure it doesn't happen? Absolutely
Old 03-28-2022, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
Hat trick for Pulisic.
USA needs to keep pouring it on - goal differential for Wed is huge.
The third goal by Pulisic was a work of art.

https://youtu.be/-pvmqSKOkx8?t=8
Old 03-28-2022, 09:01 AM

Quote:
There is just enough of a crack in the door that I wouldn't totally discount some amazing collapse come Wednesday.
I will take that bet.
Old 03-28-2022, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
The third goal by Pulisic was a work of art.

https://youtu.be/-pvmqSKOkx8?t=8
Yup!!!
As for the first 2 (PK's), Italy could have used him
Old 03-28-2022, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I will take that bet.
I didn't say it was likely or even the most probable outcome.

But the fact the most populous and wealthiest country in the region by orders of magnitude is in all likelihood going to qualify for the World Cup on goal differential alone is a sad indictment of where the program is and how US Soccer is managing things.
Old 03-28-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
I didn't say it was likely or even the most probable outcome.

But the fact the most populous and wealthiest country in the region by orders of magnitude is in all likelihood going to qualify for the World Cup on goal differential alone is a sad indictment of where the program is and how US Soccer is managing things.
That statement might not prove to be accurate - As of now USA is in 2nd place - straight out - goal differential not included.
Old 03-28-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
That statement might not prove to be accurate - As of now USA is in 2nd place - straight out - goal differential not included.
Hence the "in all likelihood" hedge. Even the talking heads paid to watch this stuff think the GD is the most probable outcome from Wednesday.
Old 03-28-2022, 11:26 AM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

Quote:
Hence the "in all likelihood" hedge. Even the talking heads paid to watch this stuff think the GD is the most probable outcome from Wednesday.
1. The Ticos are not that good. Certainly not good enough to hang 6 on the USMNT.
2. Ticos will have to gamble from the start & play loose, totally against their hack-fest style of play. No parking the bus Wednesday. They will be vulnerable to the counter.
3. This isn't some water soaked pitch & this group of kids have the ability to light things up. They have depth, they have speed in abundance & their technical ability is light years ahead of the last generation.

I am calling for a big statement win for the boys.
Old 03-28-2022, 01:48 PM

Quote:
1. The Ticos are not that good. Certainly not good enough to hang 6 on the USMNT.
2. Ticos will have to gamble from the start & play loose, totally against their hack-fest style of play. No parking the bus Wednesday. They will be vulnerable to the counter.
3. This isn't some water soaked pitch & this group of kids have the ability to light things up. They have depth, they have speed in abundance & their technical ability is light years ahead of the last generation.

I am calling for a big statement win for the boys.
I wish my prognostication could be as confident as yours (I'd happily settle for a draw), but I would certainly be glad to see it happen.

Either Ferreira or Pepi should start, as they can run behind that CR back line. Navas will always be difficult to beat, and there's no Dest to provide a moment of magic, but I don't think CR can romp away.

Yes, CR spanked MNT 4-nil last time, but a quick glance at the respective team sheets should say it all: whereas a good core of that (ageing) CR team is still playing 5.5 years on, the U.S. is completely revamped and improved.
Old 03-28-2022, 02:48 PM
50 bpm

Let's hope they don't pull an Italy.
Old 03-28-2022, 03:42 PM

Being the cynical git that I am (with certain s***housing tendencies), I'd advocate that the USMNT take the 0-3 loss on forfeiture and avoid any possibility of losing big (however small that may be, currently estimated at ~0.05%). The only gain from a win is the possibility of being seeded in Pot 1, but that would require so much else to happen that it's not likely. Otherwise, unless CR were to overtake USMNT in the standings (which would shunt the latter into a playoff and Pot 4), there isn't much tangible gain to be made (USMNT would qualify as a Pot 2 team regardless of where it finishes, as long as it finishes in the first three spots)

A forfeiture would royally piss off the Costa Ricans, but tough luck to them for leaving it so late. If FIFA/ Concacaf thinks it unsporting, the MNT is merely doing the most rational thing under the rules given, and either entity is free to change forfeitures to a 5-0 loss in the future. Besides, awfully rich for Costa Ricans or Concacaf to cry foul were the U.S. to do something within the rules, when Concacaf in general allows team to engage in serious levels of skullduggery.
Old 03-28-2022, 04:32 PM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Being the cynical git that I am (with certain s***housing tendencies), I'd advocate that the USMNT take the 0-3 loss on forfeiture and avoid any possibility of losing big (however small that may be, currently estimated at ~0.05%). The only gain from a win is the possibility of being seeded in Pot 1, but that would require so much else to happen that it's not likely. Otherwise, unless CR were to overtake USMNT in the standings (which would shunt the latter into a playoff and Pot 4), there isn't much tangible gain to be made (USMNT would qualify as a Pot 2 team regardless of where it finishes, as long as it finishes in the first three spots)

A forfeiture would royally piss off the Costa Ricans, but tough luck to them for leaving it so late. If FIFA/ Concacaf thinks it unsporting, the MNT is merely doing the most rational thing under the rules given, and either entity is free to change forfeitures to a 5-0 loss in the future. Besides, awfully rich for Costa Ricans or Concacaf to cry foul were the U.S. to do something within the rules, when Concacaf in general allows team to engage in serious levels of skullduggery.
I don't think the USMNT really needs to lower itself to the general "stuff" in CONCACAF.

I am calling for the win. Here's why:
1. 3rd game of 3. Ticos are older & have less depth. USMNT rested a bunch of players & have a couple more coming off yellow card suspension.
2. Ticos cannot play their 5-4-1. They have to play expansive. That leaves them exposed. They have to chase the game for the whole 90 minutes. The longer it goes without them winning by a large margin, the more aggressive they have to be.
3. USMNT has speed in droves, especially at FB. Watch the wing play Wednesday.
4. Ticos beat Canada 2-1 in CR when Canada was missing their star player Alphonso Davies & were playing with 10 men from minute 34. Hardly inspiring.
Old 03-28-2022, 11:33 PM

Quote:

I am calling for the win. Here's why:
1. 3rd game of 3. Ticos are older & have less depth. USMNT rested a bunch of players & have a couple more coming off yellow card suspension.
2. Ticos cannot play their 5-4-1. They have to play expansive. That leaves them exposed. They have to chase the game for the whole 90 minutes. The longer it goes without them winning by a large margin, the more aggressive they have to be.
3. USMNT has speed in droves, especially at FB. Watch the wing play Wednesday.
4. Ticos beat Canada 2-1 in CR when Canada was missing their star player Alphonso Davies & were playing with 10 men from minute 34. Hardly inspiring.
You make a logical argument. We can win. Maybe a fresh Weah can make a difference. My fear / counter argument is 0-9-2.

I really believe these 3 game windows have had a big effect on teams. I also think that many of the US players traveling more time zones than their opponents has had a a major effect as well.

Steffen will have to play better to get a result.

I truly await the day we get Adams, McKennie, Pulisic and Reyna on the field at the same time for a run of games. Did not happen in this "ocho".