Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-02-2020, 06:41 AM

I'm so many many pages late to this one...

When will White Industries make an N3W freehub I wonder? This is the gating issue for me.

Otherwise I like what I see, particularly that they offer more and less aggressive cassettes. I can imagine using the 10-44 on my big knobby wheelset and the 9-36 on my fat slicks wheelset; easy wheel change for the terrain du jour. Single steps 10.11.12.etc are smart.

Though I love wireless AXS, it is nice to see a new refined mechanical system.

Instagram
Old 10-02-2020, 06:56 AM

Hoping for a titanium 9-21 straight block, corncob cassette for the Super Record version.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
I'm so many many pages late to this one...

When will White Industries make an N3W freehub I wonder? This is the gating issue for me.

Otherwise I like what I see, particularly that they offer more and less aggressive cassettes. I can imagine using the 10-44 on my big knobby wheelset and the 9-36 on my fat slicks wheelset; easy wheel change for the terrain du jour. Single steps 10.11.12.etc are smart.

Though I love wireless AXS, it is nice to see a new refined mechanical system.

I was told December for the WI FH Body as this matters a whole ton to me as well. Also wondering on DT Swiss timing and hubs with their internals such as Reynolds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw View Post
Is it that vertical silver pin that limits the throw of the lever to one cog at a time, and is that its only function? It's not structural for the body?
As old potato stated, it appears to be the same as the one added to 2015+ front shifters to limit throw.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Hard to say w/o taking the EKAR lever apart. With hardly any in anybody's hand, pretty sure nobody has taken them apart. The droopy thumb button(2015+) on the "Power shift" levers is completely different than those on SR/Record/Chorus, and this is a version of a Chorus]] lever so I doubt it. I suspect that the EKAR, 'one higher gear at a time' is via a post like the 2015 LH lever, that limits movement..but just guessing. Maybe a SR/Record/Chorus thumb button could be installed but not 'droopy'..
Maybe the reason for the funky shaped thumb button on Ekar shifters is because Ultrashift can't use the 'droopy' button on Poweshift levers?

Quote:
The one on the 2015+ LH lever is embedded in the lever body, doubt the one in EKAR is 'removable'..probably be able to just dremel it out but I think much ado about nothing. I wonder if the 13s back spool, shift disc is installable in an other wise 12s or 11s lever..
Wait, so if I remove that bar from my 2015+ left Record shifter, it will only take 1 button shift to fully move the derailleur to the small chainring (like pre-2015 levers), instead of the two button presses it takes now?
Old 10-02-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Maybe the reason for the funky shaped thumb button on Ekar shifters is because Ultrashift can't use the 'droopy' button on Poweshift levers?
Yeah, the droopy lever has a throw that’s too short for ultrashift. Ekar seems to be a compromise between both designs.

Quote:
Wait, so if I remove that bar from my 2015+ left Record shifter, it will only take 1 button shift to fully move the derailleur to the small chainring (like pre-2015 levers), instead of the two button presses it takes now?
That’s what I hear but I am not aware of anyone performing this modification.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:08 AM

I saw a few more pictures as more manufacturers are posting complete builds and it looks like the NDS crank is in fact different than chorus even though the drive side appears identical. The most noticeable difference is a concave area near the spindle.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:17 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

Yes...and yes for the droopy lever. Gotta wonder if this EKAR thumb button can be retrofitted to otherwise 11s and 12s Ultrashift ergo levers..Campagnolo often reuses design..ala, the wee cart bearings in 2011+, 11s, 12s and probably 13s US levers are the same as in 1993 ERGO levers...Hard part is finding a Ekar thumb button,,,might have to buy a Ekar shift assembly when they are available and do some research..

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 10-07-2020 at 06:10 AM.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Yes...and yes for the droopy lever. Gotta winder if this EKAR thumb button can be retrofitted to otherwise 11s and 12s Ultrashift ergo levers..Campagnolo often reuses design..ala, the wee cart bearings in 2011+, 11s, 12s and probably 13s US levers are the same as in 1993 ERGO levers...Hard part is finding a Ekar thumb button,,,might have to buy a Ekar shift assembly when they are available and do some research..
Have you thought about 3D printing an Ekar thumb button? Some whizz will already have one in prototype.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:30 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw View Post
Have you thought about 3D printing an Ekar thumb button? Some whizz will already have one in prototype.
No I haven't thought about it

Know nothing about 3d printing but it's a plastic 'button' on a steel plate with a spring loaded pivot.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
No I haven't thought about it

Know nothing about 3d printing but it's a plastic 'button' on a steel plate with a spring loaded pivot.
Additive is cycling's future :-)
Old 10-06-2020, 09:59 AM

Campagnolo 1x12 Speed Groups at pinkjersey.com

I received my EKAR bottles, cages and frame bags from Pink Jersey yesterday, and the quality is top notch! I went to purchase the seat bag this morning, and saw that they offer Campagnolo 1x12 speed Chorus, Record and Super Record. While my EKAR is on the way, the price point of Chorus is very aggressive, and I love the carbon "bash guard" on Super Record. Best of all, no new wheels. Not to rain on the EKAR parade, but it would be nice to get thoughts?
Old 10-06-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycle+m View Post
I received my EKAR bottles, cages and frame bags from Pink Jersey yesterday, and the quality is top notch! I went to purchase the seat bag this morning, and saw that they offer Campagnolo 1x12 speed Chorus, Record and Super Record. While my EKAR is on the way, the price point of Chorus is very aggressive, and I love the carbon "bash guard" on Super Record. Best of all, no new wheels. Not to rain on the EKAR parade, but it would be nice to get thoughts?
Am I missing something or did pink jersey just throw some single smaller chainrings onto the 2x cranksets and call it a 1x group? Buttons on left shifter, no clutch derailleur, and cranksets that don’t look proper with only 1 small ring.... not for me thanks.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
Am I missing something or did pink jersey just throw some single smaller chainrings onto the 2x cranksets and call it a 1x group? Buttons on left shifter, no clutch derailleur, and cranksets that don’t look proper with only 1 small ring.... not for me thanks.
Definitely not just you. It seems misleading selling that unless there's something I'm missing. They just took off the big ring and pretended that the carbon spider (spider? don't know the exact word for what the campy SR cranks have) is a bash guard.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:50 PM
Administrator

that's a goofy move.

i dont know if they are official campy dealers, but i imagine if campy HQ gets wind of them trying to sell a hacked chorus 1x12 group they might have something to say about that.

it looks like they are not even gutting the left shifter, so you have the paddle and button that are dead on one side?

i'm all for mixing components, but that's something an end user typically does, seems a little misleading advertising it as a group.