Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Old 11-05-2018, 10:35 AM

Those pedals are light! Did they come that way or did you modify them a bit? Removed the cleat plate/screws, etc?
Old 11-05-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrizzwald View Post
Those pedals are light! Did they come that way or did you modify them a bit? Removed the cleat plate/screws, etc?
Nope, that's how they come. Great pedals!! They also use look keto cleats which I prefer. Spendy buggers but lined appropriately to other top notch pedals.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
so you got rid of a black bike for another black bike?

Right on

looking forward to seeing it
Lol yes. I'm a black frame guy. I'll be in Grants Pass and Medford a bit over the next couple months. Were gonna have to get together again!
Old 11-06-2018, 04:41 PM

have to give a MASSIVE shoutout to Fair wheel bikes.

I have done this build a little backwards by buying parts before I have the actual bike. I have also purchased some parts before doing all my reseach. I purcahsed a set of the Extralite Octaramps and was SUPER excited. They look AMAZING and we all know are light AF. HOWEVER, I started to see a handful of people tell me that their performance is crap. Some of those people admitted that their experience was with the 1st or 2nd generation, which they have claimed to imroved significantly with current designs. I also reached out to people who had these rings and they replied that they are flawless. So....is this simply a matter of incorrect set up or not fine tunning enough OR is it just that they dont perform very well and are mostly eye candy?

I called Fairwheel with one last ditch effort for them to give me some feedback. He mentioned that they wouldn't be AS solid as di2 shimano DA, but that they are improved very much over generations. Mechanical might see some issues and be a bit more tricky to set up. Etap would be just a hair below the Di2 DA. I told him I was coming from the first generation Sl Hollowgran crankset with spiderRing. His thoughts were that those rings are not considered to be extremely stiff either and that there would be a good chance they would be perform equally. He then started to hmm and haw a bit. Said he had an almost new but used set of them on his desk. He's gonna ship them to me so I can try them for myself and then decide if I wanna keep them or return them. If I like them, I simply send back the used set and rock my new one. If I dont like it, I just return the new set and ship the used set back. This is the best of both worlds to be able to see for myself and not wonder how they would have performed and yet be given an out if I dont. So I guess I'll see here shortly! That is some pretty stellar customer service if you ask me!!!
Old 11-07-2018, 09:04 PM

Just in today! G4 EE direct mount brakes (Without the brake pads)
[/url]
Old 11-08-2018, 10:21 AM

Stock Specialized Headset

Stock specialized top cap and screw (May swap out later)

Stock specialized expander plug (May swap out later, but want to have a good solid expander since I'll be using an extralite stem with smaller contact point and this isn't all that heavy considering it's size)
Old 11-08-2018, 11:14 AM

ahhhhh......SO good
Old 11-08-2018, 04:43 PM

Took my etap shifters off the bars

Aligator ilink Brake housing and liner

Bar end plugs (Cheap plastic no name)

Approximate brake cable length (This is front and rear)

Lizardskin 1.8 race tape

Specialized Dust cap

Last edited by bianchi10; 11-08-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:37 PM

This bike and thread will be epic.

Out of curiosity, how much influence did Instagram have on your decision to switch to a Sl6 Tarmac? I ask because I ride with a local club where the most influential members are almost exclusively Tarmac riders. None of them race or care too much about performance; however, they're impressively faithful to Specialized because the brand has done extensive outreach in their charitable activities/rides.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rk540 View Post
This bike and thread will be epic.
Out of curiosity, how much influence did Instagram have on your decision to switch to a Sl6 Tarmac? I ask because I ride with a local club where the most influential members are almost exclusively Tarmac riders. None of them race or care too much about performance; however, they're impressively faithful to Specialized because the brand has done extensive outreach in their charitable activities/rides.

First off, thank you very much. I hope it will be as epic to others as it is for me.

I'm a pretty heavy user of Instagram. while there may be some influence because of seeing this bike in different variants of size or color, multiple times a day, I simply fell in love with the new 2018/2019 design when I first saw it. The bike itself is arguably one of THE best "can do all" bikes on the market. Will it make me that much faster? Marginally, if at all. Will it make it that much more fun to get out and ride? Yeah I would think so. I'm a bike enthusiast and admittedly, I have expensive taste. However, I do not make a crap ton of money. In fact through the years I watched someone do a build like I'm currently doing and think to myself..."How in the hell can they afford that!?!?". Let me tell you and anyone else reading this, that my build is coming from taking steps and slowly upgrading over the YEARS when I can. Anyone that followed my Cannondale Evo dream build can recall the parts I added from the first post to the last post. It was a totally different bike from top to bottom. When everyone was jumping to DA 9000 and DI2, I was still rocking DA 7900 till I was able to sell that and save up enough to cover the difference.

I'm very fortunate to build this bike. But I can tell you all that it has taken several years to be in a situation where I could do so.

I know I took a bit of a left turn to answer your question, but I wanted to make it clear that I'm not some wealthy retiree that is just able to waste money away. I have 1 bike and I take very good care of it. This bike will be an absolute dream. I hope that others will be able to follow along with the build and appreciate it as much as I do.

Last edited by bianchi10; 11-08-2018 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:00 PM
Administrator

i love this build.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bianchi10 View Post
I know I took a bit of a left turn to answer your question, but I wanted to make it clear that I'm not some wealthy retiree that is just able to waste money away. I have 1 bike and I take very good care of it. This bike will be an absolute dream. I hope that others will be able to follow along with the build and appreciate it as much as I do.
Having gone through the gamut of bikes over the past several years, I am getting to the point where I finally have a firm grasp on my fit and component preferences. More and more it seems much more economical to save up for the ride you really want rather than beg, borrow and steal you way to a bike that will never quite scratch that itch the same way.

Good luck with the build, looks like it's gonna be killer!
Old 11-08-2018, 07:37 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
First off, thank you very much. I hope it will be as epic to others as it is for me.

I'm a pretty heavy user of Instagram. while there may be some influence because of seeing this bike in different variants of size or color, multiple times a day, I simply fell in love with the new 2018/2019 design when I first saw it. The bike itself is arguably one of THE best "can do all" bikes on the market. Will it make me that much faster? Marginally, if at all. Will it make it that much more fun to get out and ride? Yeah I would think so. I'm a bike enthusiast and admittedly, I have expensive taste. However, I do not make a crap ton of money. In fact through the years I watched someone do a build like I'm currently doing and think to myself..."How in the hell can they afford that!?!?". Let me tell you and anyone else reading this, that my build is coming from taking steps and slowly upgrading over the YEARS when I can. Anyone that followed my Cannondale Evo dream build can recall the parts I added from the first post to the last post. It was a totally different bike from top to bottom. When everyone was jumping to DA 9000 and DI2, I was still rocking DA 7900 till I was able to sell that and save up enough to cover the difference.

I'm very fortunate to build this bike. But I can tell you all that it has taken several years to be in a situation where I could do so.

Don’t worry. Those of us who’ve followed your Cannondale odyssey and now your Tarmac one, we know you’re the real deal, a passionate lover of riding and bikes. Your cred is 110%.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:

Much respect

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewsmith View Post
Having gone through the gamut of bikes over the past several years, I am getting to the point where I finally have a firm grasp on my fit and component preferences. More and more it seems much more economical to save up for the ride you really want rather than beg, borrow and steal you way to a bike that will never quite scratch that itch the same way.

Good luck with the build, looks like it's gonna be killer!
Getting there too, but my bargain hunting proclivities still win out every now and then...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk