Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-22-2018, 02:14 PM

C*R*U*S*H*E*R is here! Race check-in & share thoughts

http://tusharcrusher.com/

I thought I'd start a race check-in thread. No need to post anything near as long as I did below :-) Apologies if there is already one started...I didn't see one. This will be my 3rd time. Every year I do it, by the time I am climbing back up the Col de Crush and its 95 degrees, I always swear this is the last time. I LOVE this race! Competitive gravel is far more interesting to me these days than the road racing I do. Anyway, I'll be in the 45-49 category with my local team (America First Credit Union)...we'll have 5 or 6 people. Solid orange jerseys. Sharing my insight and tips for 1st timers below. I'd be glad to answer questions or course insight as well.

Please feel free to share your rig set-up (+notable config choices and why), pics if you have any, any experiences of note, tips, where you're coming from, and course intel. I DEFINITELY want to hear about your tire choices. Also, feel free to share your race class & past times if you've done it before. Or simply say "hi" and/or comment about other's equipment choices! From me:

Category/Results/Goals: Racing 2016 time: 6:09 (Zanconato Racing), 2017 time: 5:55 (Zanconato Racing) 2018 goal: Under 5:30...maybe top 20.

Bike / Tire Setup: Norco Search XR, Sram Force CX1, 40T front, 10-42 rear (I'll definitely need the 40x42 on the Col De Crush!!).

I've been experimenting a lot this year. I've settle on mixed set - Maxxis Tread Lite 2.1" up front with a 47mm WTB Byway in the back. Why? Descending the Col de crush is rough...those tight switch backs are pretty loose with lots of washboard. People come in too hot and it gets very sketchy. I've been running the Byways front and rear, but as nice a gravel tire they are, I don't like how the front tracks in loose gravel. I have a very similar descent where I live and I've found that a wider front tire with more tread & a smooth back tire for reduced rolling resistance works great. It keeps the front wheel tracking and allows the rear to drift a bit descending those tight loose corners. The Maxxis tread lite rolls surprisingly well on the asphalt. It has an interesting crown - the center area is raised with a radius more like a 35mm tire, with very little tread. To either side of the crown, slightly lower are more aggressive knobbies. To me it rolls like a smooth 35c tire but corners more like a mtb tire. Jury is still out on the 1X. Last 2 years I did it on a true CX bike - 2x drivetrain 34T small ring, 36T large cog. I needed every last tooth of that cassette. Looks like a 40x42 is equivalent to a 34/36. A little worried about the wider shift gaps with the 10-42 cassette riding in a pack in the 20 mile asphalt section half way through the race.

**I am running a dropper post!** Crazy huh? The Norco came configured with a left shifter actuated very nice KS Lev dropper. I was skeptical I'd need it and had planned to sell it, but for a gravel bike doing steep/tight/fast technical descents (I do a lot) I'll never go back to not having one. Coming into loose switchback corners where the inside is VERY loose with a dropper feels SOO much safer and stable. I can actually rail a turn..even sometimes unclipping my inside foot and doing it MX style. Crazy I know, but on a drop bar bike, you're already way too far forward on steep descents and a dropper makes cornering so much faster )(for me...maybe not others). I can't wait to try the dropper on the Col De Crush descent. Normally I come into those corners having to slow to a crawl so I don't wash out. Hoping this set up will allow me to hang on to some of the fast people so I don't risk missing out on a good paceline for the 20 miles of asphalt around Circleville.

General Thoughts, Pre-Race notes to self, Course-intel etc:

- Heat management is key. Temps are great except that long slog through the Sarlac pit and of course back up the brutal Col de Crush. Once in the mtns again, the temps are great for the remainder of the race. That said, every year I really start to fade about mid way through the sarlac pit death slog. Part if that is I historically do 90% of my training early morning before it gets hot. So I'm simply not acclimated well to riding off road when its really hot. This year I am deliberately doing some gravel rides in the late afternoon with temps between 85-95 degrees. Many of which include a long 10 mile climb, with 5000' elevation gain.

Part of heat management for me is not just hydration but also doing whatever I can to stay wet. The nice thing about this race is there are a lot of feed stations and there are rows and rows of people handing up bottles from the start to the end of the feed zone. From the Circleville feed station onward I roll into the zone dumping whatever remaining water I have down my back and especially my thighs well before the start of the FZ (makes a huge difference hitting thighs with cold water!). I immediately chuck the empty bottles and grab 2 new bottles of water (they offer water and energy drink) for my cages, then I grab another for my jersey pocket. If there are still volunteers holding up bottles as I roll through I grab another and hold it in my hand until I can dump its contents down my back, over my head, etc, chucking it before I am outside the FZ. Basically, I try to stay as wet as possible and grab every bottle I can. I've heard some people say they wear a heavier weight jersey and thin arm covers - they retain water better for a swamp cooler effect. And of course the arm covers help with sun burn.

- Ejecting bottles over rough terrain. If you've done this event before you've seen hundreds of bottles all over the road descending the Col de Crush. If you don't have cages that are VERY VERY secure you WILL lose your bottles...especially if they are half full. Coming into the hot 20 miles of asphalt prior to Sarlac is the last place you want to lose your bottles. Last year I lost one but luckily grabbed the other just as it was about to launch. I like the Tacx Tao cages, but they don't hold bottles securely. I've heard great things about King cages in this respect.

- This year I'm experimenting with side-loading bottle cages. I hear they don't eject bottles as easily as the top loaders do. Barring that I'd at least do whatever you can to stuff them into your jersey pockets PRIOR to the Col de Crush descent.

-Do everything you can to ride the 20 mile asphalt section prior to the Sarlac pit in a group. Its pretty windy and doing it alone is miserable...you'll pay a dear price once you start the Sarlac death slog. If you can see people coming down the Col behind you its absolutely worth sitting up and waiting.

Other course intel:

- The event is pretty big...national presence...lots of ex pros do it. I've seen Zabriskie at the start line each year on his 3T exploro. This means they have to start the various age/category groups in closely spaced waves. I think they go off every couple minutes. The downside is that makes the 10 gradual asphalt climb before the mountains VERY chaotic. There is a lot of leapfrogging as some groups overtake others. The race groups will not stay together, but the stronger/competitive riders in each group typically do as they mark each other closely. So you'll see alot of 10-15 person groups leap frogging larger groups. So if you're competitive and not doing it just to finish the even stay near the front. Just know that you will be doing alot of accelerations, bridging up to others, and leap frogging larger groups. If you're not racing peers, save your energy and stay in the main group...you'll need it once you hit the mountains. Once you do everything splits up eventually. When you turn off the asphalt, you'll do a few hours of GORGEOUS alpine climbing. I think its between 4000'-5000' but since its so pretty and alternates between short kickers, gradual climbing, some flats, it really isn't bad.

Then you'll descend the Col de Crush (which you'll climb again). VERY steep descent, lots of washboard, and loose switchback corners. Stay alert. Then 20 miles of pavement, then a 2000' of gradual climbing on a jeep trail through hot desert (Sarlac...or as some call it "The Devil's arm pit). The looming above you is the Col de Crush after a couple miles climbins some steep asphalt. It can be a pretty miserable climb. Usually very hot. Get out of the saddle too much and you'll loose traction and spin out. I'm 5'11, 168 lbs and I had a 2x 34x36 last year and could have used another gear. I did it the year before with a 36T ring 28T cog and almost didn't make it up.

Once on top of that massive climb you go back into beautiful alpine country, the temp cools off really quick and for me at least that last 15 mile or so never seems very tough. I get a second wind. Its pretty, lots of rollers, and little climbing until the last few miles of very steep asphalt. Gut that out and you're done!

Last thing: I can't say enough about how awesome the race support is, feed zones, pre-race activities, post race food....ALL TOP NOTCH!

Good Luck!

My rig for this year:
Old 06-22-2018, 02:35 PM
n - 1

I've always wanted to do this race, but I just don't have the time to train for it (to be competitive). I will probably head down that way to ride the course sometime this summer (it's about 2 hours from me), and will probably ride it on my Strong CX or Cannondale Slate. I think Slate might be a better choice given the Strong fits 40c max. Slate will need some beefier tires, but maybe the current G-One's will be ok. Maybe change out the front to something more aggressive.

Good luck out there. Pretty country.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:10 PM
Kind of OK

I actually registered for it last year, then got cold feet when my climbing training didn't go as planned. It's on my bucket list.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:59 PM

Oh how I love Crusher! I've done it twice and think it's an amazing race.
Such a beautiful area. Utah is incredible. Unfortunately, I wont be there this year.

My results:
2015 - 4:40:28 for 2nd (45-49) and 12th overall
2016 - 4:39:49 for 1st (45-49) and 12th overall

Both years our group hammered the start and pretty much caught all the groups other than the Pro men. Both times we were the 1st age groupers to finish.

My bike wasn't anything special. I used my open mold carbon CX bike with 2x10. Low gear was 34x32 - enough but not enough. For tires I used 38mm Challenge Gravel Grinder Race with latex tubes on 20mm internal rims. I was very happy with my tires both years.

Biggest thing I'd change is gearing. I'd want something lower to allow me to "spin" a bit more on the col. I cramped both times in the same spot and I'd like to make it past that!

My advice is to just do it. Such a great event.

Andy
Old 06-22-2018, 07:13 PM

Wow Andy, those are some amazing results. I’d love to do sub 5 hours someday. Aside from fitness and power, do you have any advice on other differentiators to move up the standings? I am 5’11”, FTP is 295, weigh 168. My fitness is up about 20% over last year, FTP 15 watts higher. I’m assuming podium contender guys like you are probably pushing FTP numbers quite a bit higher than that so Im always thinking of ways I can grab a minute here or there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
Oh how I love Crusher! I've done it twice and think it's an amazing race.
Such a beautiful area. Utah is incredible. Unfortunately, I wont be there this year.

My results:
2015 - 4:40:28 for 2nd (45-49) and 12th overall
2016 - 4:39:49 for 1st (45-49) and 12th overall

Both years our group hammered the start and pretty much caught all the groups other than the Pro men. Both times we were the 1st age groupers to finish.

My bike wasn't anything special. I used my open mold carbon CX bike with 2x10. Low gear was 34x32 - enough but not enough. For tires I used 38mm Challenge Gravel Grinder Race with latex tubes on 20mm internal rims. I was very happy with my tires both years.

Biggest thing I'd change is gearing. I'd want something lower to allow me to "spin" a bit more on the col. I cramped both times in the same spot and I'd like to make it past that!

My advice is to just do it. Such a great event.

Andy
Old 06-22-2018, 10:06 PM

Biggest advice is going from the gun. Our group starts last if I recall. We hammered and moved up through all the other age groups. If you can stay with those guys it makes a huge difference. Of course if you push too hard you'll pay later.
Also just sit on Cooke's wheel!

I'm 6'1" and about 155lbs. My FTP for that race was prob 330ish. That makes a difference for sure. It's an FTP type race.

A light bike. Those climbs are long and you're at 10,000ft. Saving a kilo on the bike is huge! Losing the dropper may gain you more going uphill than you'll gain going down - idk. What cassette are you using? The 1195 weighs significantly less than the 1175. Although my bike was a mis of Red and Rival (for the long cage rear) and was just fine.

I need to do it again. Just hard from a family timing/vacation standpoint. I mixed it in with family vacation those years and need to make that work again.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:24 PM

Tushar

I agree with Andy on the bike- I would ditch the dropper and put a light carbon post.
King cages are your friend offroad.
I would consider less tire unless you are worried about flats. Can still stay big but I would look at Maxxis Ramblers or Donnelley MSO 700x40-

Endurance gravel races are about 2 things-
1.) having a clean run
Making sure bike is in perfect running order-

Being lucky enough not to flat or crash.

Being able to do quick flat repairs if you do have bad luck (have dynaplugs, quickfils, pump, duct tape, extra chain link, good multi tool, etc.

2.) Managing resources
Staying with the fast guys early makes sense- If you have good race legs from road events and don't spend time above threshold.

Once you get to the climb it is best to settle into a sub threshold pace- race has too much vertical to try to do 1st climb full gas. It will cost you on 2nd climb.

Same for 2nd climb- You will just do what you can do at that point.

Good idea to know the layout of feedzones and their locations on the course- Know what you want to get and how to do it quickly- this is free time.
Don't skimp- I have seen riders skip feed zones and pay for it later on- Play the long game.

Eat and drink on schedule- don't let the tank run empty on food or drink.

As far as descending and cornering- Don't get too worked up. Just execute where your ability and comfort level is- a crash or flat will cost you more than backing it off a little.

You mentioned that you are not heat acclimated? Do you have access to a dry sauna? Spending 7 days straight going to the sauna (ending 3-4 days out from the event) can help a lot with acclimation.
There is a specific protocol to follow.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:45 AM

Excellent advice John & Andy - really appreciate it! Definitely considering the lighter seat post. That said I’ll definitely stick the dropper back on for my local rides...quite a few of them have some technical descents where I really enjoy the dropper. Full disclosure: I am known locally for pushing the limits of my gravel bike from time to time :-) One of these days I’ll just have to spring for a light XC mtb.

Anyone else doing Crusher this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
I agree with Andy on the bike- I would ditch the dropper and put a light carbon post.
I would consider less tire unless you are worried about flats. Can still stay big but I would look at Maxxis Ramblers or Donnelley MSO 700x40-

1.) having a clean run

Being able to do quick flat repairs if you do have bad luck (have dynaplugs, quickfils, pump, duct tape, extra chain link, good multi tool, etc.

2.) Managing resources
Staying with the fast guys early makes sense- If you have good race legs from road events and don't spend time above threshold.

Once you get to the climb it is best to settle into a sub threshold pace- race has too much vertical to try to do 1st climb full gas. It will cost you on 2nd climb.

Good idea to know the layout of feedzones and their locations on the course- Know what you want to get and how to do it quickly- this is free time.
Don't skimp- I have seen riders skip feed zones and pay for it later on- Play the long game.

As far as descending and cornering- Don't get too worked up. Just execute where your ability and comfort level is- a crash or flat will cost you more than backing it off a little.

You mentioned that you are not heat acclimated? Do you have access to a dry sauna? Spending 7 days straight going to the sauna (ending 3-4 days out from the event) can help a lot with acclimation.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:09 AM

I like that Norco Seatch XR. Super nice all purpose carbon bike.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
I like that Norco Seatch XR. Super nice all purpose carbon bike.
I agree - I also love that it has 5 bottle mounts. 2 in the triangle, 1 on each fork leg, and one under the DT. Great adventure bike since it is also configure pretty well for frame bags, racks, fenders, etc. Also has a front der mount for 2X. As configured, with the Enve wheels it is a hair under 18 lbs...with a dropper post!

Its a great alternative for those that can't afford an Open U.P. It matches it feature for feature, and has a few the Open doesn't have. I think, given the spec, Norco actually had these priced a bit low ($4K for the Force1 model). They completely sold out all dealer and factory stock by April. Last I checked you couldn't get one - my lbs did a national inventory search and called Norco direct..nada. When I was in the market I was looking at getting the frame only and buying my own parts, which is what I usually do to save money.

No matter how hard I tried I could not build up the same spec, and come under the bike shop price. Usually off the rack bikes have a few questionable generic parts. Nothing on this bike is, except the stem...the bars are Easton EC70ax carbon fiber bars, the dropper is a $250 KS Lev, wheels are WTB i23 on DT350 hubs, etc. Even the cassette is a top of the line Sram XD 1180...$300 cassette. the could have easily speced the HX1150 which is a fraction of the price.

The shop owner's theory is that Norco priced it far too aggressive given the parts they included...it sold out quick and they are slow to build up inventory since the profit margin is so narrow. He's guessing the 2019 model will have a few subtle down grades. We'll see I guess.

Anyway, other less expensive alternatives to bikes like the Open UP and 3T Exploro, with similar features and tire clearance are the Ibis Hakka MX, Rodeo Labs (can't remember the model), Why Cycles R+ (ti frame), and Lynskey RG260. I'm sure there are others...I'm a big fan of this niche some describe as monster gravel. Adventure bikes that fit much bigger tires than usual - up to 2.1 650B in most cases. Overkill for most traditional gravel rides, but for those that do more single track, I think its great to be able to run 2.1 mtb tires, and of some of the 47mm WTB road plus options for a faster rolling option.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:39 PM

I’m glad to see this race get a proper thread. I’ve done it the last two years, just over 5 hours, won’t be doing it this year. Although, not until the last few days have entry transfers lasted more than a couple of hours. Hmmm, can’t say I don’t consider it.

Last year I used Schwalbe G-One 35s @ 45/50psi, zero complaints. Good balance of roll fast, tread and width. A bit minimal on the big descent, but that’s not a place to gain much, if any time. I passed all the riders on MTBs that bombed past me on the Col descent easily on the long and consistent paved descent immediately following it, sitting on my top tube, tucked in tightly.

Call me crazy, but I would even consider Specialized Roubaix 2bliss 30/32s for it. They measure to 35mm in width on my SL23 V2 rims. I’m just not convinced tread gets you much on this ride, overall. I would have, however, tried this setup throughly before committing to it if I were attending this year. It’s not hard to closely replicate the Pit, here in New Mexico.

I don’t think it could be better supported. The PBR handup in the mile or two before the Col was a godsend. And I still use the podium swag I got from 2016.

The rest of my setup was a Stevens Carbon Team frame, and SRAM Force 22, 34/46 2X, 11-32 cassette. And still I suffered on the Col...

For those of you who are doing it this year, bless your hearts.

Last edited by YesNdeed; 06-23-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:19 PM

Thanks John. Very helpful. I really like the dry sauna idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post

1.) having a clean run

2.) Managing resources

Old 06-24-2018, 01:31 PM

Excellent. I’m definitely thinking about tire selection again. I’ve heard great things about the G-ones. Seems like that 20 mile asphalt roller section near Circleville is a pretty crucial part of the race, both to stay in a fast group and conserve energy. So a fast rolling tire makes sense. I wonder how the rolling resistance of a 47mm 650B WTB Byway or Horizon, with its smooth crown, compares to something like a 700c 32 or 38mm G-one mounted on some 700c disc wheels I’m already planning on getting. Anyone have experience with both these tires?

...Definitely re-thinking the Maxxis Tread light I have up front currently. That decision was driven mostly by the Col descent where I got dropped by some faster guys. Trying to catch up I almost lost it on 2 of the switch back corners. But to the point a few of you have made, that descent probably isn’t going to make or break someone’s race

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesNdeed View Post
I’m glad to see this race get a proper thread. I’ve done it the last two years, just over 5 hours, won’t be doing it this year. Although, not until the last few days have entry transfers lasted more than a couple of hours. Hmmm, can’t say I don’t consider it.

Last year I used Schwalbe G-One 35s @ 45/50psi, zero complaints. Good balance of roll fast, tread and width. A bit minimal on the big descent, but that’s not a place to gain much, if any time. I passed all the riders on MTBs that bombed past me on the Col descent easily on the long and consistent paved descent immediately following it, sitting on my top tube, tucked in tightly.

Call me crazy, but I would even consider Specialized Roubaix 2bliss 30/32s for it. They measure to 35mm in width on my SL23 V2 rims. I’m just not convinced tread gets you much on this ride, overall. I would have, however, tried this setup throughly before committing to it if I were attending this year. It’s not hard to closely replicate the Pit, here in New Mexico.

I don’t think it could be better supported. The PBR handup in the mile or two before the Col was a godsend. And I still use the podium swag I got from 2016.

The rest of my setup was a Stevens Carbon Team frame, and SRAM Force 22, 34/46 2X, 11-32 cassette. And still I suffered on the Col...

For those of you who are doing it this year, bless your hearts.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:13 PM

I've posted a top-10 overall (men) at the Crusher before. It's a bitch. And amazing. Far more difficult than it looks on paper. Burke is a sick mother****er. (ps, hi burke, <3)

I did it on a random ****ty open-mold CX frame that I stole from the Backcountry warehouse with 36x46/11-28 gearing and mechanical disc brakes. And maybe 34mm Maxxis Raze rubbers? The CDC descent is fast and sketch AF. Advise leg-out, don't go off the edge. Rock a high-vol tire, don't worry about knobs. I'd do it again on a WTB whatever or a Compass Switchback Pass. The Sarlacc Pit is lit (just keep pedaling, think big gears). Take all the handups. It's one of the few races I've done where I had the visceral urge to cry (even more than that race in Trinidad when I got the amoeba).

If you can manage it, do some altitude sleeping prior. It'll be more valuable than looking at really old ballsacks in a sweatlodge. That ride is high. Really high. It's only that hot for like...60%.

Seriously, one of the most underrated events in the world.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:56 AM

i've not done anything like this, but any reason not to run tubeless in this scenario? other than stopping flats it'll allow you to drop a few psi for traction

fwiw, i'd keep the dropper. confidence in the sketch is key