Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-15-2018, 06:21 PM

This one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-15-2018, 06:22 PM

Thanks!

Has anyone by chance tried the newer Helix model? Comments?
Old 07-15-2018, 10:59 PM

.. sharing my experience

i have used few bont shoes in the past ..
vaypor
vapor s
zero

i have a wide feet .. and all of my bont were wide version. in term of size, you need to check if your feet will increase in size after hours of riding. in my case, my feet becomes wider a bit after 2 hrs of riding, especially in hot weather. hence i need to make sure my bont is way loose when i pick a new one. because bont shoe will stay in in shape no matter what. the carbon outsole wraps your foot like a boat ..

now i wears lake .. i like it better
Old 07-16-2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Thanks!

Has anyone by chance tried the newer Helix model? Comments?
Just tried the Helix on this weekend. I think frankly I prefer the Vaypor S. Fit is similar, but with only one boa, you don't get the same adjustability if there's dual Boas. If the forefoot is still loose and the main strap is tight, you don't have many options to get that foot fit quite right.

Its interesting, but I'm not sold on them quite yet.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Thx.
I've red that the vaypor '+' series has a softer upper than the 'S' series.....who knows. I'll probably go ahead and try the size 45 bont normal width vaypor +'s
Just wondering what your impressions are of the Bonts? I have a wide front and narrow heel, so I am hoping that Bont's moldable heel structure can grip while offering lots of width at the front.

No dealer near where I live, so sizing will be tricky. By the looks of the comments here, I may go with a 45 (I take 45 in Sidi, Shimano and Northwave), even though their on-line tool suggests 44.5 for me.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gat64 View Post
Just wondering what your impressions are of the Bonts? I have a wide front and narrow heel, so I am hoping that Bont's moldable heel structure can grip while offering lots of width at the front.

No dealer near where I live, so sizing will be tricky. By the looks of the comments here, I may go with a 45 (I take 45 in Sidi, Shimano and Northwave), even though their on-line tool suggests 44.5 for me.
The online tool is wonky. Works for some, not for others. I take a 45 in Shimano, 45.5 in Sidi. Bont's calculator I think recommended a 46.5....

I ended up ordering a 46 in the Bont Zero+ tri shoe. Was a little too big, I think a 45.5 would have worked.

Now that said, I've had a few pair of Bont's over the past decade, and I will say, I think the whole 'molding' thing is BS marketing. I've never been able to shape these things to my foot, including the heel, including the sides. They just don't move much at all. And of course, the sole isn't going to move at all, it is rigid. I also find them incredibly uncomfy out of the box as it is just a rock hard carbon tub, so you do need a proper orthotic/insole for them. Problem is that some insoles will take up too much volume in the Bont shoes, then your toes are jammed against the upper.

Good luck!
Old 11-22-2018, 07:59 AM

I'll say that the Bont shoe is wider than most right off the bat due to the toe box design. Through the shoe I find it to be standard. I found the wizard to be off a bit and wanted me to go smaller than I should have. It originally placed me in a 43.5 wide but I went with a 44 wide. I wore that size for 2 years, but now went up to a 44.5 wide and its good. I like to have a little bit of room in mine as my feet are a bit wider and they swell a bit, so having the extra room to layer or wear thicker socks if needed is nice.

Quote:

Now that said, I've had a few pair of Bont's over the past decade, and I will say, I think the whole 'molding' thing is BS marketing. I've never been able to shape these things to my foot, including the heel, including the sides. They just don't move much at all. And of course, the sole isn't going to move at all, it is rigid. I also find them incredibly uncomfy out of the box as it is just a rock hard carbon tub, so you do need a proper orthotic/insole for them. Problem is that some insoles will take up too much volume in the Bont shoes, then your toes are jammed against the upper.
!
Its odd that it isn't working for you. Obviously everyone has different experiences with items, but with my experience, it is a COMPLETELY different shoe once I mold it. I dont find them to be comfortable at all straight out of the box. Once I heat mold mine, they are like slippers. I think you asked me before what my process was to confirm your steps as well, did you ever go through my steps and see if it aligned with your process?

Last edited by bianchi10; 11-22-2018 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
The online tool is wonky. Works for some, not for others. I take a 45 in Shimano, 45.5 in Sidi. Bont's calculator I think recommended a 46.5....

I ended up ordering a 46 in the Bont Zero+ tri shoe. Was a little too big, I think a 45.5 would have worked.

Good luck!
Thanks for the feedback - interesting and a bit scary with such expensive shoes. My issue with most modern shoes are the stiff uppers and poor heel retention. My favourite shoe ever was the Sidi Ergo 1 - and I am convinced it is because of the soft Lorica uppers that seem to allow some expansion while riding. I have the Ergo 3 as well, but after 4 hours or so, they start to hurt. I assume my foot starts expanding then and that's when the pain begins. I do like the heel retention system on Sidis. Would love some NOS Sidi 1 with the retention system!

I tried the Shimano XC7 wide, but when you get wide from them, the heel goes wide too - not good for me.

Was looking a the Vaypor G from Bont as the upper looks a bit softer that modern Sidis - but I could be wrong. So tough with shoes.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:15 AM

I had good luck reshaping the heel to be a bit tighter.

I was really scared of overheating the shoe, but once I did get it to the correct temp and consistency it was easy.

My annoyances with my riots is I can feel the mounting hardware in my forefoot sometimes and the construction quality is just OK.

Final wish is that they made a 45.5 as that is likely my size in their shoe, but I wear a 46 - hence the heel reshape.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
I had good luck reshaping the heel to be a bit tighter.

I was really scared of overheating the shoe, but once I did get it to the correct temp and consistency it was easy.

My annoyances with my riots is I can feel the mounting hardware in my forefoot sometimes and the construction quality is just OK.

Final wish is that they made a 45.5 as that is likely my size in their shoe, but I wear a 46 - hence the heel reshape.
They have fixed this by putting a plate between the screw holes in the shoe and the insole. No longer an issue