Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-27-2018, 03:08 PM

Got it sorted with Dinotte, turns out they were holding back a few days on their orders so they could include the new enhanced batteries with their units. I just didn’t get the email. It shipped today..
Old 06-28-2018, 06:52 AM

DiNotte Lighting ???

I have a Quad Red taillight and it’s really great. I got it not only for its brightness but as much for how long the battery will last on a full charge as I often find myself out for the whole day and sometimes into the evening (I loiter alot). I’ve had mine for about two years but don’t see any different specs on runtimes etc for the Quad Red when I just looked. Do you know how the new batteries are “enhanced”? Just curious. Are the new enhanced batteries even applicable to the Quad Red model? Thanks.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:43 AM

All they said was, “more power/longer run time”.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:01 AM

Appreciate the update Northmeadow on your update on DiNotte shipping. Am looking forward to my new lights arriving soon.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc40a View Post
I sent an email last week essentially asking to be convinced their amber daytime blinker is highly visible despite the relatively low lumen rating.

They responded within a day defending the product.

Still considering a purchase, though, less so now.
I’m quoting myself here, just for a follow up.

After seeing the OP’s situation resolved, I ponied up and got the quad amber and quad red.

After being familiar with Cygolite’s Hotshot 150 and their Pro 1100 headlight, I didn’t think there was any way to justify the cost of the Dinotte set...

I was wrong. These Dinotte lights are in a whole different class. I’m impressed. Looking forward to testing them.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc40a View Post
I’m quoting myself here, just for a follow up.

After seeing the OP’s situation resolved, I ponied up and got the quad amber and quad red.

After being familiar with Cygolite’s Hotshot 150 and their Pro 1100 headlight, I didn’t think there was any way to justify the cost of the Dinotte set...

I was wrong. These Dinotte lights are in a whole different class. I’m impressed. Looking forward to testing them.
You won’t be disappointed. I run my Quad on medium flash/solid during the day and I always get noticed. Flipped off 2 weeks ago but noticed.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
You won’t be disappointed. I run my Quad on medium flash/solid during the day and I always get noticed. Flipped off 2 weeks ago but noticed.
Yeah, last time I got flipped off it was with my Dinotte. But they saw us as well.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I always get noticed. Flipped off 2 weeks ago but noticed.
Is that really what we want?

I have serious reservations about lights that purposely irritate drivers. There are ways to be seen just as effectively without pissing people off, and that seems to me a much better choice.

Besides which -- when I'm on my bike, lights like that are even MORE irritating for me.

Just no good reason for 'em.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:14 PM
Time & Bikes

That's so true. I mean, drivers never flip us off when we don't sport bright lights on our bikes.

Dave, who always loves to remind himself that correlation is not causation

P.S. My experience far from flip-offs has been several drivers thanking me and my wife for the bright DiNotte lights on our bikes because they prefer to see us.

P.P.S. And @cachagua, putting my snark to the side, whether or not one is advantaged by bike lights is greatly influenced by where you're cycling. Sometimes even relatively quiet roads mean cyclists benefit from bright lights because those same quiet roads mean the cars you do see often go fast down the center of the road...because the roads are quiet and relatively empty for them, too. Not excusing that, just describing the Paradox of Quiet Roads that I see regularly around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachagua View Post

I have serious reservations about lights that purposely irritate drivers. There are ways to be seen just as effectively without pissing people off, and that seems to me a much better choice.

Besides which -- when I'm on my bike, lights like that are even MORE irritating for me.

Old 07-15-2018, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I don’t want to irritate them, I just want to be seen even during the day. I purposely point my Dinotte slightly down so it doesn’t blind drivers or riders.

The guy who flipped me off had over a mile of 2 lane road with zero traffic, a bright sunny day and I was next to the fog line. He was just a jerk.

I feel safer since I started to use a blinkey during the day as cars seem to pass with a wider berth. But that’s just me. If you don’t like them there’s no rule that says you should.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:45 PM

It happens all the time?

I was flipped off yesterday for honking my car horn at another motorist adjacent to me who crossed the line into my lane. Go figure.

I just finished a 27-mile ride in full sunshine with my red Dinotte Quad set on medium flash and no birds and/or rants were observed.

Last edited by Spinner; 07-15-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:43 PM

I seriously doubt they were flipped off because of the lights. More likely, it was because they were there.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:

The reason I got flipped off was because the guys in the lifted pickup truck thought we didn't belong on the road. It had nothing to do with our lights.

On the contrary, I've had numerous drivers literally complement me on the light because they could actually see me. I've seen Dinotte (and similar) lights while driving and I'm never 'blinded' or distracted by them. Yeah, at night they need to be put to a lower setting, but Dinotte lights are designed to be seen in bright daylight and I will not apologize for using them.

We got flipped off by someone who was going to flip us off anyway. I'd rather he sees us and gets on his mean, nasty, cantankerous way in peace.