Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-11-2019, 05:43 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Superior is a misleading way of looking at it I think.

One particular tubeset may be better suited for a particular purpose than another. Many steel builders would use a different tubeset for a 230 pound rider than a 160 pound rider, so in that example, one tubeset may well be 'superior." I have a Kirk cross bike that Dave built for himself and used a specially spec'd set of chainstays. Builders often mix tubes from different sets. Look at the Merckx MXL bikes - they're not 100% MAX tubing. Apparently the custom builders think that particular tubes of particular tubesets or entire sets are superior to others when they are building bikes.

And indeed in this case you have Mr. Pegoretti and Mr. Sachs going to Columbus and saying, hey, we need a better lightweight tubeset for lugged frame construction and this was the result. Followed by Uber PegoRichie tubes for larger frames/riders purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
My point is: this is like saying "Reynolds 531 rocks" or "Columbus sucks". Yes, many nice bikes were built with 531, and many unremarkable ones as well.

Venerable bikes like Masi GC and Cinelli Supercorsa used both 531 and Columbus on different frames. I just don't think one brand of tube set is superior to another.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
Maybe this is heresy, but I don't think you can feel any difference between high end steel tube sets. I say high end, because you need that tensile strength with lightweight tubing. So, Reynolds 853 or 953, Dedacciai Zero, Columbus Spirit etc will all behave the same. The builder can make some difference in how they select gauges, angles, butt lengths, etc.
It feels like we're going over this at least once a month, in this or that discussion thread. It is difficult to isolate the effect of the steel only from all other factors involved in a bike's performance (geometry/design above all). There was a blind test in a major cycling magazine many years ago, in which Thron was preferred to higher spec-ed steel by expert riders:

http://www.habcycles.com/m7.html

Last edited by tsarpepe; 02-11-2019 at 10:47 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:16 PM

The way I set up my bikes is much more important than the steel in the tubes. I do like to know that I'm riding a bike with top end equipment, be it the tubes, the build, or the parts. But, in the end, it is whether I'm comfortable in the long haul that is important and that has come from many decades of experimentation for my specific set up markers.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:14 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
Yeah, my pegorichie sachs was the best steel bike I ever had. So smooth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
I had a Zanconato with Pegorichie tubing a few years back; most of my PRs were set on that bike.

Why did you guys ever get rid of them?!?!

Pretty sure this bike will be in my will:

Old 02-12-2019, 08:01 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Same here. I don't understand going through the custom process and getting such a great bike only to move on a couple years later. Doesn't even make any financial sense as used custom bikes take a huge hit compared to new price. My Zank and my Ottrott are the two bikes that will stay with me no matter what.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:24 AM

I kept my Sachs 8 or 9 years I think. It was not ridden any more. I can't stand having bikes that are not ridden, in particular great bikes.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
I kept my Sachs 8 or 9 years I think. It was not ridden any more. I can't stand having bikes that are not ridden, in particular great bikes.
I'm hoping to get back to riding my steel Zanconato much more in 2019. I did a few rides on it last year after the component swap and wheel swap and I was reminded about how nice it really is. The fit and handing are just about perfect. And I agree about the non-ridden bikes. I'm currently in a huge downsizing push and unridden, unused equipment and bikes are leaving my house quickly.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Mine wasn't custom-built for me in the first place. Nonetheless, I sold it to fund another project, which on hindsight wasn't the best move.

I am now riding a stainless steel frame with Columbus XCR tubing; it feels very similar to the Zank with PegoRitchie tubing.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:28 PM

My Rick Jones is Pegorichie tubing. Even coming from a skinny tubed thinwall planing-ophile, I think it has a fantastic ride quality.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:37 PM

It's the pegorichie-est:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-12-2019, 05:54 PM

My Hampsten Strada Bianca, welded by Max Kullaway is made with PegoRichie tubes. It rides beautifully.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3053.jpg (153.8 KB, 258 views)
Old 02-12-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
... And indeed in this case you have Mr. Pegoretti and Mr. Sachs going to Columbus and saying, hey, we need a better lightweight tubeset for lugged frame construction and this was the result. Followed by Uber PegoRichie tubes for larger frames/riders purposes.
Now who does that remind me of...? Hmmm, Colorado Con-something-or-other...

Those got made from both 853 and niobium, right? Is there a thread about which CSi is the ____est?

Speaking of Colombians; I have always wanted an old '80's Duarte. His bikes were under some of the great climbers.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:29 PM

I have a bike made with UOS Pegorichie and it is way too stiff for me, no fun. I bet I’d like it if all the tubes were downsized to regular PR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2019, 01:00 PM

Here's mine, it was built by the late legend Ron Cooper... rebuilt with lightweight parts...the ride is sublime.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk