Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 10:20 AM

Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I wore out chainrings on a gravel type bike in like 3 years.. it wasn't a lot of miles. Seems like it mostly had to do with the right kind of grit getting in the chain. You will know if you wear out rings, it is a bit scary!

I have had others wear out faster though.

Let's be real, there's a large segment of customers for this new eTap AXS who will pass their relatively unworn chainrings on as soon as eTap AXS 2.0 comes out in 2021.

They won't care about having to replace the PM with the rings.
I agree with this train of thought. As I posted earlier, we live in a disposable use society. SRAM probably did the same calculation and figured that by the time these wore, customers by and large will be moving on to something else.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
I agree with this train of thought. As I posted earlier, we live in a disposable use society. SRAM probably did the same calculation and figured that by the time these wore, customers by and large will be moving on to something else.
I think they all did the calculation some years ago and realize that this kind of buyer is a great market to exploit at the high end.

I don't really think it's a bike thing either.. it's clearly a watch thing if you read the watch threads on here.

It's very clearly a camera thing.

I would argue it's definitely a guitar (particularly acoustic guitar) thing too.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I think they all did the calculation some years ago and realize that this kind of buyer is a great market to exploit at the high end.

I don't really think it's a bike thing either.. it's clearly a watch thing if you read the watch threads on here.

I would argue it's definitely a guitar (particularly acoustic guitar) thing too.
Don't forget cars. smart phones, computers, backpacking gear, ski equipment...
Old 02-13-2019, 05:29 PM

So True !

Quote:

You had me at watches! But seriously, your point is well taken and I agree, for most it will be a non issue.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:23 PM

In case you were wondering whether or not SRAM would port the AXS app and the associated functionality to eTap 11, wait no more, I asked them:

I have 3 SRAM eTap 11 speed systems, all with Quarq power meters so I have a significant investment in SRAM products. Will the AXS application be ported to support these systems?

Their reply:

SRAM USA (SRAM)
Feb 13, 10:51 CST

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your message. The AXS system is dedicated 12 speed- the app and the companion group parts will not be backwards compatible to original eTap 11 speed. The systems are not able to communicate across platforms.

My response

Thank you for your reply.

This is disappointing, to say the least. There is no technical reason why you couldn’t provide the same functionality to eTap 11 customers. In my case, I’ve invested nearly $6,000 in SRAM eTap 11 equipment that is now officially dead.

I note that I have two Di2 systems including the original Ultegra system and both are supported by the Shimano application and have added significant new functionality since I purchased the systems.

You’ve pretty much guaranteed that my next group and all future groups will not be SRAM.

Can I get a refund for 3 SRAM firmware upgrade dongles, brand new, never been used?

Greg
Old 02-13-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone View Post
In case you were wondering whether or not SRAM would port the AXS app and the associated functionality to eTap 11, wait no more, I asked them:

I have 3 SRAM eTap 11 speed systems, all with Quarq power meters so I have a significant investment in SRAM products. Will the AXS application be ported to support these systems?

Their reply:

SRAM USA (SRAM)

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your message. The AXS system is dedicated 12 speed- the app and the companion group parts will not be backwards compatible to original eTap 11 speed. The systems are not able to communicate across platforms.

My response

This is disappointing, to say the least. There is no technical reason why you couldn’t provide the same functionality to eTap 11 customers. In my case, I’ve invested nearly $6,000 in SRAM eTap 11 equipment that is now officially dead.

I note that I have two Di2 systems including the original Ultegra system and both are supported by the Shimano application and have added significant new functionality since I purchased the systems.

You’ve pretty much guaranteed that my next group and all future groups will not be SRAM.

Can I get a refund for 3 SRAM firmware upgrade dongles, brand new, never been used?

Greg
Sucks that you have 3 nice bikes that can't be ridden anymore.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:33 PM
aka RAEKWON

I get it Greg and trust me, as an etap owner would be nice to get an app only to mess with speed and what the buttons do. That said there is nothing wrong with etap 11 and saying that your group is now dead is a bit silly/untrue. The group works fine, always has. Reason there was no updates is because frankly it does not need them. I agree it would have been nice to get an app but I knew they werent going to spend money and time on the old system.

I am actually surprised they kept the same battery which to me is great and keeps the old group very much alive
Old 02-13-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Sucks that you have 3 nice bikes that can't be ridden anymore.
You’re rather an ass, aren’t you?
Old 02-13-2019, 08:48 PM

Wow, that stinks!

Could the system be hacked to be backwards compatible?

Your issue is precisely why I never took the leap to Di2, as cool as it is. That was almost a decade ago now (frightening how time flies). For example, there shouldn't be a decent reason why a 10 speed electronic derailleur couldn't be programmed to accommodate one extra gear, unless the physical design restricts it (limit screws, for example).

Quote:

Their reply:

SRAM USA (SRAM)

Hi Greg,

My response

Greg

Last edited by 54ny77; 02-13-2019 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I get it Greg and trust me, as an etap owner would be nice to get an app only to mess with speed and what the buttons do. That said there is nothing wrong with etap 11 and saying that your group is now dead is a bit silly/untrue. The group works fine, always has. Reason there was no updates is because frankly it does not need them. I agree it would have been nice to get an app but I knew they werent going to spend money and time on the old system.

I am actually surprised they kept the same battery which to me is great and keeps the old group very much alive
One function that etap 12 has that should have been offered on etap 11 is the ability to change the shifting action from one side to the other. I have several bikes with Campy and everytime I get on my etap 11 bike, I need time to adjust to the shifting. On etap, to shift to an "easier" gear (e.g., shift to larger cogs), you shift the left shifter. On Campy, to shift to an "easier" gear, you shift the right lever. It looks like you can choose which side to shift to an easier gear. This should have been offered on etap 11 as it would have been more consistent for us Campy users.

Right, Good Luck!
Old 02-14-2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:

Their reply:

SRAM USA (SRAM)

Hi Greg,

My response

Greg
Well that's a way to win hearts and minds.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:46 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
One function that etap 12 has that should have been offered on etap 11 is the ability to change the shifting action from one side to the other. I have several bikes with Campy and everytime I get on my etap 11 bike, I need time to adjust to the shifting. On etap, to shift to an "easier" gear (e.g., shift to larger cogs), you shift the left shifter. On Campy, to shift to an "easier" gear, you shift the right lever. It looks like you can choose which side to shift to an easier gear. This should have been offered on etap 11 as it would have been more consistent for us Campy users.

Right, Good Luck!
I don't disagree with that. My other bikes are campy as well and for a day or so this confused the hell out of me. But now I like it, its actually very intuitive. Sure I still make a mistake if I have not ridden the etap bike in a month but I got used to it.

That said, I 100% agree with you.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:20 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
That was almost a decade ago now (frightening how time flies). For example, there shouldn't be a decent reason why a 10 speed electronic derailleur couldn't be programmed to accommodate one extra gear, unless the physical design restricts it (limit screws, for example).
The bean counters and marketeers will give you the 'reason', (not a decent one)..They want to sell ya the 12s stuff..duh?? They care little about what you have already bought, they care about what you are GOING to buy...
Old 02-14-2019, 08:21 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

Their reply:

SRAM USA (SRAM)

Hi Greg,

My response

Greg
Careful, Big Ed will call you and yell at ya!!
Old 02-14-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
The bean counters and marketeers will give you the 'reason', (not a decent one)..They want to sell ya the 12s stuff..duh?? They care little about what you have already bought, they care about what you are GOING to buy...

Clearly every company that introduces a new product has the concerns about cannibalizing it by offering similar functionality to their existing products. There are a lot of features in the AXS group as a whole to attract sales.

Providing some of those features to existing customers not only creates a positive image about the company but IMHO makes them more inclined to purchase from you again. Were I to buy an AXS group, I’d use the app to add the shifting mode that automatically shifts the rear up/down when switching between chain rings (copied from Shimano). Since I already own 3 eTap equipped bikes, I’d like to be able to do the same thing with them for a consistent riding experience when using SRAM equipped bikes.

I’m happy with the eTap 11 group. The fact that they’re not offering backward compatibility from AXS makes me less inclined to buy that group both because of that incompatibility and because they chose to leave their existing customers behind in pursuit of new ones when they could have easily done otherwise ala Shimano.

Fine if others feel differently.

Greg