Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-11-2018, 01:42 PM

V60 and Aeropress for filter..

Nespresso for espresso or when I particularly dont care..
Old 10-11-2018, 06:42 PM

I got a nuova Simonelli Oscar at a garage sale a few years ago. It got less and less reliable and I haven’t used it in a while. Most days I choose my chemex.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:57 PM

Bought this rocket cellini used 7+ years ago for a song and would have full wife support to get a new one at full price if it ever broke beyond repair. However, just like bikes, part of the joy of these machines is how well designed they are and fun to work on. You've got to appreciate the longevity of the e61 grouphead. I've replaced parts on an as needed basis including valves, seals, pump, pstat, etc and it just keeps on ticking. Only regret is that it's not plumbed.

For regular coffee, I've got a French press, aeropress, kalita and now with a new baby went auto with a mochamaster technivorm. Kalita takes the cake for best non-espresso cup in my view, when time permits.

However, whatever your method, fresh beans are a must. In Boston, big fan of Gracenote, but Barismo is definitely solid too.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2018, 10:57 PM

Brew daily pourovers in either a Hario V60 or a classic 6-cup Chemex, and just ordered a Baratza Encore grinder per numerous recommendations on this forum to replace my busted cheapie.

Would like to figure out something portable for camp coffee.

Home espresso is not an investment I'm willing to make yet, usually save that for when I go out for coffee once or twice a week.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:03 PM
formerly Landshark_98

well over a decade on this machine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA090036.jpg (99.6 KB, 282 views)
Old 10-12-2018, 01:01 AM
shimergo

I'll grab pics this weekend, but here's the rundown:

Rancilio Silvia V3
Aeropress
Chemex
Baratza Vario (for espresso only)
Capresso Infinity (for everything else)
Old 10-12-2018, 06:06 AM

As if cyclists need help with rationalization ... but I share the following. I reflect sometimes on the expense of the coffee set up. But then I tell myself, that I save money on each cappuccino. They are $4 in DC and now that we live in NY $5. The cost per at home is like $.5 plus a bit more to amortize the cost of the machinery, so say I am saving $3 per Capp. When I worry about how much I have spent, I just make myself and my wife a few extra to save more money.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydhest View Post
As if cyclists need help with rationalization ... but I share the following. I reflect sometimes on the expense of the coffee set up. But then I tell myself, that I save money on each cappuccino. They are $4 in DC and now that we live in NY $5. The cost per at home is like $.5 plus a bit more to amortize the cost of the machinery, so say I am saving $3 per Capp. When I worry about how much I have spent, I just make myself and my wife a few extra to save more money.

Lol, most people I know who have machines.....they still make the trip to starbucks. Its just a ritual they enjoy doing, going to the coffee shop.

When you factor in the cost of good beans, milk, upkeep, electricity.......the fact that you will still likely go to the coffee shop sometimes.....I don't really believe these machines are at all about saving money.....
Old 10-12-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshbd View Post
Bought this rocket cellini used 7+ years ago for a song and would have full wife support to get a new one at full price if it ever broke beyond repair. However, just like bikes, part of the joy of these machines is how well designed they are and fun to work on. You've got to appreciate the longevity of the e61 grouphead. I've replaced parts on an as needed basis including valves, seals, pump, pstat, etc and it just keeps on ticking. Only regret is that it's not plumbed.

For regular coffee, I've got a French press, aeropress, kalita and now with a new baby went auto with a mochamaster technivorm. Kalita takes the cake for best non-espresso cup in my view, when time permits.

However, whatever your method, fresh beans are a must. In Boston, big fan of Gracenote, but Barismo is definitely solid too.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I think that's literally the first generation Rocket post-Andrew Meo company takeover. Damn.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Lol, most people I know who have machines.....they still make the trip to starbucks. Its just a ritual they enjoy doing, going to the coffee shop.

When you factor in the cost of good beans, milk, upkeep, electricity.......the fact that you will still likely go to the coffee shop sometimes.....I don't really believe these machines are at all about saving money.....
No I literally only go to the cafe 2-3 per week now (and often on work's dime because theyre for meetings), where before I was going 1-2 times per day on average.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:45 AM

honest truth is that other than for latte art (which i don't indulge in too often, as I need to drop some #), the coffee I get from my Rancilio Silvia PID and low-end Baratza grinder will be better than anything I get from a large chain and on par with what I get from most smaller outfits.

I measure the amount of beans I grind, and the amount of grind I tamp down. Those two factors are some of the most important to getting a decent espresso. While I have no doubt that some of the best establishments don't need to do this b/c they have sufficient amount of experience to render it unnecessary, that's not true across the board. It's awfully disappointing when the shot produced by a fancy La Marzacco machine at a commercial establishment produces something not nearly as good as what I can get at home.

Then again, if i'm traveling in Pennsyltucky country, even Starbucks would be deemed good enough
Old 10-12-2018, 09:07 AM

I think there must be something wrong with my taste buds.....lol.

I ended up selling my Giotto and vario after a couple years, as I realized I was just as happy drinking drip coffee and/or tim hortons lol.

What I do miss though is the process. Using the Giotto was a lot of fun.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:39 AM
Everything is connected

Quote:
I think there must be something wrong with my taste buds.....lol.

I ended up selling my Giotto and vario after a couple years, as I realized I was just as happy drinking drip coffee and/or tim hortons lol.

What I do miss though is the process. Using the Giotto was a lot of fun.
Egads! Mods...please ban oldguy00 for a few days until he's gained control of his taste buds.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Couldn't disagree more. Cost/Quality was what drove me to buy a commercial machine 20 years ago. When out and about, my wife and I almost always default to "wait til we get home" to have a decent coffee. In the bay area, you can't throw a rock without hitting some new coffee place these days, but we've walked out of more places we were curious about than not after watching the barista pull a few shots.

He's my breakdown.

coffee $17/lb. 15g per shot.
electricity. I used a Kill-o-Watt to measure. ~$.15 (conservative est.)
Milk. $.10/per cap.
initial machine cost + upkeep. $.23/day amortized.

making 2 caps per day therefor now runs me about $1.70.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:32 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankles View Post

He's my breakdown.

coffee $17/lb. 15g per shot.
electricity. I used a Kill-o-Watt to measure. ~$.15 (conservative est.)
Milk. $.10/per cap.
initial machine cost + upkeep. $.23/day amortized.

making 2 caps per day therefor now runs me about $1.70.
Labor?

BTW - I am not discounting your financial argument for a machine....it might be part of it, but I think for most it is the process, experimenting, and trying to achieve the elusive "perfect" shot. Same OCD stuff that drives cycling, flyfishing, stereo equipment and other esoteric hobbies.

Last edited by Ozz; 10-12-2018 at 12:36 PM.

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso