Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2018, 12:39 PM

Jobst went so far as to say that pedaling isn't even necessary in land speed records:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec....A/ipfumdeid_4J

Quote:
As I stated, John Howard was towed to a substantial speed (100+ mph if I recall correctly) before "cutting loose". At speed his 20 inch wheels were turning about 2500 rpm and with a cadence of 200 that would require a gear ratio of 12.5:1 with a double reduction chain (as he had). I don't recall the ratio but it was in this magnitude. At this speed and a foot to road ratio of 1:19, a 10 pound pressure that a rider might exert on the pedals at this speed becomes less than one pound forward propulsion. The 10 pound estimate is most likely high since pedal force goes to zero at the limit of spin as is apparent from riding rollers in a small gear at such a cadence.

That controlling a bicycle in turbulent air behind a wind screen is difficult and dangerous is not disputed. My point is that the rider in these events does not contribute to propulsion and that the pedals are merely a device to make the concept of someone "riding a bicycle" at such speeds palpable.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
Jobst went so far as to say that pedaling isn't even necessary in land speed records:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec....A/ipfumdeid_4J
I think Brandt might have been extrapolating too far, based on John Howard's* set up. During Howard's attempt, the car's throttle was controlled via radio control by Howard himself. Theoretically, if the car's speed could be controlled with great precision, then no rider pedaling input would be required. But I doubt that the throttle could be controlled with enough precision, requiring Howard to use the pedals to control the bike's speed and position behind the pace car. And at those speeds and very high gears, it would take a lot of leg strength and power to make even small speed adjustments. So I believe that while the majority of the propulsion was from the car's eddy current, it still took a lot of effort from the rider to maintain their position in the draft.

*It should also be noted that Brandt (and others) also had a beef with John Howard for being partially responsible for the addition of "lawyer's lips" on fork dropouts. In a lawsuit brought by a rider whose front wheel which had detached due to a loose quick release skewer, John Howard was paid to act as an expert witness for the plaintiff, and he testified that even when QR skewers are properly adjusted and tightened, they can loosen up while riding, allowing the wheel to come out. This event also prompted SOPWAMTOS to award Howard a "Golden Toidy" under the "Liar for Hire" category.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:00 AM

It's amazing how abrasive Brandt can still be even though he's been gone 3 years now, may he rest in peace.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:58 AM

On a related note...

Team Vesco's Turbinator II set a new, unofficial 'wheel driven' LSR of 482.6 MPH last weekend at Bonneville.

The 'official' record set was in the SCTA/BNI T-3 class.

The salt is said to be in great shape this year, with multiple cars running over 400 MPH during SpeedWeek in mid-August.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD View Post
Team Vesco's Turbinator II set a new, unofficial 'wheel driven' LSR of 482.6 MPH last weekend at Bonneville.
Ah, a real automobile, and not one of the low flying airplanes that hold most of the "land" speed records.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Ah, a real automobile, and not one of the low flying airplanes that hold most of the "land" speed records.
Well, yes, but... as implied by the name and the class (T-3), the vehicle is powered by a turbine.

The fastest piston-powered record holder is (I think) Danny Thompson's Challenger 2, which was built by his father Mickey and his buddies in 1968. Danny set the AA/FS record of 448 and change at this year's SpeedWeek.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:56 AM
Proud Grandpa

Good recap, interview and video here..pretty dern amazing..
https://cyclingtips.com/2018/09/taki...e-at-183-9-mph
Old 09-28-2018, 10:06 AM

Here's a video of her record: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CFTqHbgsKs. Amazing!

It appears from the video that she was towed up to about 160 mph, then she undid the connection.

Last edited by fiamme red; 09-28-2018 at 10:17 AM.