Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2018, 08:16 AM

Maui has plenty of nice riding.
From Kihei, you can noodle south as far as the road goes past Makena, but it’s pretty boring.

Good rides:
West Maui Loop. I like going clockwise. Stop at Julie’s Banana Bread stand in Kahakuloa Beach. You’re just about there when you see this view:
Riding the West Maui loop

It’s about a 150km ride from Kihei round trip.

Ride up Haleakala. It’s steady and fun. Riding there and back from Kihei was also about 150, IIRC. You can follow the main roads that take you through Kahului, but I prefer some of the residential roads that shoot straight up towards Kula. Stay off the sugarcane roads unless you like the rough stuff and avoiding big trucks. NB: Haleakala is high, and it can be really cold coming back down. Take clothes.

Ride Upcountry. Lots of nice roads, and some detours will give you great climbs.

If you’re feeling adventurous, you can do the east Maui loop. There is no connecting highway between Kihei and Upcountry (unless your name is Oprah. Google it.), so you’ve got a long ride to get to the long ride around the east. The East loop has pretty beat up roads as well. Many rental agencies won't let you take their cars on it, FWIW.

Here’s a map, although Google Strava is probably better: http://www.southmauibicycles.com/upl...-1802x1506.pdf
Old 09-18-2018, 12:59 PM

South Maui

I am surprised that no one has mentioned it yet, but there is a nice little shop right in Kihei called South Maui Cycles, when I was there a few years ago they were renting some nice Madones, they also had a group ride which I did that was great, it was a nice route, we went up to some cool state park in the middle of the island, and I also got to meet a couple of guys that I ride with later in the week. so I'd say definitely give them a call.

As far as Routes yet the 2 popular ones are the West Maui loop and Halekala, I did both when I was out there, if your interested I can send you the GPS files.
I did the West Maui loop from Wailea (just south of Kihei) and it was 86 miles, don't forget to stop for Banana bread on the ride.

Another really cool ride would be riding from Hana back up the quiet side of the island, I did it in a car and I think its the most spectacular part of Maui, however the logistics of doing it can be tough, as you would have to get to Hana and then the ride back is pretty long, maybe have someone pick you up in Pukalani or something.
I did meet someone out there that did it on a bike.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:14 PM

I really appreciate all the responses and suggestions. Thanks.

Ryan