Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2018, 08:21 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
that was the only reason i started cycling
Mee too..calcium deposits in my Achilles tendon sheaths...couldn't bend my feet when I got up..but ran anyway..finally saw the light..But as I mentioned, I really like the simplicity of running..shoes/shorts..go run..Cold? Put on a hat..
Old 09-17-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
It's funny how every race distance has its time barrier that separates good/decent from very good/great. As an indication of my age, in HS all our races were in yards. I was a sprinter, and the two barriers I chased (but never broke) were 10secs for 100 yards and 50secs for the 440.

I remember a few times our coach had us sprinters do a few timed 880 repeats. My god, a half mile seemed like forever back then.
Oh yeah - half mile was hard - seemed like a sprint the entire way.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:12 AM

As with most sports, seeing world class marathoners doing their thing in person must be pretty cool. I haven't, and wonder what it looks like. On TV, their speed seems harder to identify.

I remember seeing guys at meets run the 400 in ~46 seconds and being surprised at how powerful/fast that looked.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:24 AM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
I wonder how many cyclists are injured ex-runners?
Probably quite a few. We get into running at the Jr. High / High School level because it's an easily accessible way to compete. We learn that there is a level of innate talent that can be developed. Running injuries are generally due to impact, so the obvious choice to replace is cycling so we can keep feeding the addiction.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I'm a cyclist > runner > injured runner > cyclist/occasional runner
Old 09-17-2018, 09:28 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO View Post
Probably quite a few. We get into running at the Jr. High / High School level because it's an easily accessible way to compete. We learn that there is a level of innate talent that can be developed. Running injuries are generally due to impact, so the obvious choice to replace is cycling so we can keep feeding the addiction.
No doubt about that..both running and riding..my wife said I was 'running away'..some truth to that for sure.. 'Problem' with riding, along with being way more expensive, it takes a LOT more time. I ran 1 to 2 hours per day..I rode, when I was riding more, 2-3 hours per day, with a 4 hour on Sunday.

I kinda play with the idea of running again..but I think that ship has sailed..
Old 09-17-2018, 09:45 AM
needs adult supervision

As has been said, there is something so simple and elemental about running, the purity of beautiful form. For me, this race captured one of the most graceful runners I've ever seen, David Rudisha. The race begins at 3:20. In particular, watch him on the final back stretch. That 100m is about as beautiful as there is. As the announcer said, 'It's quick. Very quick.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKEOjWEzVGs
Old 09-17-2018, 09:46 AM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I kinda play with the idea of running again..but I think that ship has sailed..
...or you could just jump up and down on the concrete garage floor for ten minutes so you can feel like you ran.

I actually tried "running" for a few weeks last year and gave it up because it felt so abusive. Besides, I think my wife likes having me out of the house for a while.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:07 AM

I can't even imagine that. I can't run a sub 5 minute mile on a 5k. That's just insane.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
+1 Between the ages of 15 and 35, I ran about 40,000 miles. Then my knees started to complain.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I can't even imagine that. I can't run a sub 5 minute mile on a 5k. That's just insane.
I believe Kipchoge's avg 5k split was 14:24
Old 09-17-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
As has been said, there is something so simple and elemental about running, the purity of beautiful form. For me, this race captured one of the most graceful runners I've ever seen, David Rudisha. The race begins at 3:20. In particular, watch him on the final back stretch. That 100m is about as beautiful as there is. As the announcer said, 'It's quick. Very quick.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKEOjWEzVGs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMJ0Gjn9M6E

100 secs to beat the world.

I still think this documentary on Rudisha and Brother Colm is one of the most inspiring.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:31 AM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
+1 Between the ages of 15 and 35, I ran about 40,000 miles. Then my knees started to complain.
I hear ya. In my 20s, I had stressful jobs, not much money, was living in NYC. I needed an outlet, for both stress and competitive urges. So I wanted to see how far I could push my body. I got up to 100+ miles a week running. I wasn't fast or anything, just crazy/driven/young. Then, man, did my knees complain. Few of us are built for 100 mile weeks. I sure wasn't.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:35 AM

Those who are really good at running with truly beautiful form - Rudisha, Gebresellasie, Kipchoge are actually experiencing a lot less impact than you or I. Their foot strike is such that they are being constantly pushed forward instead of the slight braking impact that normal people feel with each step.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:15 AM
Pack fill

Quote:
I started as a roller speed skater at 11 and got into cycling to train over the summer, then progressed in cycling and dropped the skating. When the kids were born I switched to running since that is easier to do in the dark and much safer without the drivers. When the youngest turned 12 I started riding again. Now I include some swimming with the other 2 and participate in (bad word for some here) triathlons